Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Strange HD heating problem

Strange HD heating problem

AG

I was trying to get a computer to use two NICs yesterday on an old 233 Mhz
AMD machine. Win98 just wouldn't do it even when I used one so I started to
change hard drives to put in one I could put NT4 on. The drive was hot.
Like 120 F or so. I went and got another computer and put the drive in and
installed NT the using the second computer same processor, less RAM and it's
been running for 6 hours now and the drive is just above room temperature,
where on the other computer it was HOT.

Any suggestions as to what is wrong with the first box? Could a bad power
supply do that?

AG

Phenux

It's possible that the power supply could do that. Also consider if enough
draw through air is being circulated, check to make sure the cooling fans
are working right and that nothing is blockin the vents. Hope this helps.

"AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40369071$0$68935$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was trying to get a computer to use two NICs yesterday on an old 233 Mhz
> AMD machine. Win98 just wouldn't do it even when I used one so I started

> change hard drives to put in one I could put NT4 on. The drive was hot.
> Like 120 F or so. I went and got another computer and put the drive in

and
> installed NT the using the second computer same processor, less RAM and

it's
> been running for 6 hours now and the drive is just above room temperature,
> where on the other computer it was HOT.
>
> Any suggestions as to what is wrong with the first box? Could a bad power
> supply do that?
>
> AG

AG

I used canned air to blow everything out before I pulled the old drive with
Linux on it and put the new one in. The air circulation seemed to be fine.
It's just a 233 and I've run them with a dead fan before, not for long but
they will at least start. Nothing else was hot just the drive. At least
the NT box is up and running so that the experts can get into it and work on
the wireless LAN AP.
I can go back to answering customer questions like "Are you having problems?
My computer says no dial tone."

AG

"Phenux" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news2yZb.8386$lQ2.5365@okepread02...
> It's possible that the power supply could do that. Also consider if enough
> draw through air is being circulated, check to make sure the cooling fans
> are working right and that nothing is blockin the vents. Hope this helps.
>
> "AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40369071$0$68935$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I was trying to get a computer to use two NICs yesterday on an old 233

Mhz
> > AMD machine. Win98 just wouldn't do it even when I used one so I

started
> > change hard drives to put in one I could put NT4 on. The drive was hot.
> > Like 120 F or so. I went and got another computer and put the drive in

> and
> > installed NT the using the second computer same processor, less RAM and

> it's
> > been running for 6 hours now and the drive is just above room

temperature,
> > where on the other computer it was HOT.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to what is wrong with the first box? Could a bad

power
> > supply do that?
> >
> > AG

Phenux

I know that you were wondering if it could be a defective power supply, did
you try swaping power supplies yet? Maybe you had the right idea all along.
Let me know how it turns out.

"AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:403a41a2$0$69002$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I used canned air to blow everything out before I pulled the old drive

with
> Linux on it and put the new one in. The air circulation seemed to be

fine.
> It's just a 233 and I've run them with a dead fan before, not for long but
> they will at least start. Nothing else was hot just the drive. At least
> the NT box is up and running so that the experts can get into it and work

on
> the wireless LAN AP.
> I can go back to answering customer questions like "Are you having

problems?
> My computer says no dial tone."
>
> AG
>
> "Phenux" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news2yZb.8386$lQ2.5365@okepread02...
> > It's possible that the power supply could do that. Also consider if

enough
> > draw through air is being circulated, check to make sure the cooling

fans
> > are working right and that nothing is blockin the vents. Hope this

helps.

> > "AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:40369071$0$68935$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I was trying to get a computer to use two NICs yesterday on an old 233

> Mhz
> > > AMD machine. Win98 just wouldn't do it even when I used one so I

> started
> > > change hard drives to put in one I could put NT4 on. The drive was

hot.
> > > Like 120 F or so. I went and got another computer and put the drive

in
> > and
> > > installed NT the using the second computer same processor, less RAM

and
> > it's
> > > been running for 6 hours now and the drive is just above room

> temperature,
> > > where on the other computer it was HOT.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions as to what is wrong with the first box? Could a bad

> power
> > > supply do that?
> > >
> > > AG

AG

I don't have a spare AT PS right now. I used the last one on another old
box. I'm really trying to get away from the AT boxes. They're SO SLOW
compared to later processors. I really just wondered if anyone had any
experience with something like this. Guess not. Sigh......
I have an ATX power supply tester but with AT I'd rather just get rid of
those old boxes than spend the money for another tester for outmoded
equipment.