Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Weird Problem (IE WinXP) cannot browse

Reply
Thread Tools

Weird Problem (IE WinXP) cannot browse

 
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2004
I customer brought in his PC because he said he could get emails and use AIM, but can no longer
browse using Internet Explorer. I looked it over and checked there was no firewall preventing PORT
80 or anything and all looked ok. The NIC works because I could use AIM and ping the router as well
getting an IP address from it. But I can not browse. I figured something had to happen somewhere and
since the guy said he had nothing important on the computer, I can restore the PC using the Restore
CDs. I wiped the machine clean (deleted and created teh partition). Ran the recovery cds. With the
machine completely and freshly restored, I am experiencing the same problem. I am baffled.

One thing I notice is that when I try to go to any site, the status bar in IE says 10.0.0.1, which I
know is not a routable IP address. Why is it doing this? Either way, it always times out and no page
can be displayed. Just to be sure, I put a new nic in and the same thing happens. I am completely
lost.

Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.

Tony
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John D Loop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2004



"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I customer brought in his PC because he said he could get emails and use

AIM, but can no longer
> browse using Internet Explorer. I looked it over and checked there was no

firewall preventing PORT
> 80 or anything and all looked ok. The NIC works because I could use AIM

and ping the router as well
> getting an IP address from it. But I can not browse. I figured something

had to happen somewhere and
> since the guy said he had nothing important on the computer, I can restore

the PC using the Restore
> CDs. I wiped the machine clean (deleted and created teh partition). Ran

the recovery cds. With the
> machine completely and freshly restored, I am experiencing the same

problem. I am baffled.
>
> One thing I notice is that when I try to go to any site, the status bar in

IE says 10.0.0.1, which I
> know is not a routable IP address. Why is it doing this? Either way, it

always times out and no page
> can be displayed. Just to be sure, I put a new nic in and the same thing

happens. I am completely
> lost.
>
> Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.
>
> Tony

Almost sounds like a DNS server is returning this address for any lookup.
You probably have the DNS
acquired from the router (DHCP?). Try manually assigning a DNS address in
the PC to bypass the router.
Maybe the router has a bad DNS server set manually?
Also check the hosts file for anything "fishy."
J
--
Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
homenetworking environments!
www.pccitizen.com
You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
let alone what it was all about. And then you children get to do it all
over again.
J


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rick Rottman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2004
Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

>I customer brought in his PC because he said he could get emails and use AIM, but can no longer
>browse using Internet Explorer. I looked it over and checked there was no firewall preventing PORT
>80 or anything and all looked ok. The NIC works because I could use AIM and ping the router as well
>getting an IP address from it. But I can not browse. I figured something had to happen somewhere and
>since the guy said he had nothing important on the computer, I can restore the PC using the Restore
>CDs. I wiped the machine clean (deleted and created teh partition). Ran the recovery cds. With the
>machine completely and freshly restored, I am experiencing the same problem. I am baffled.
>
>One thing I notice is that when I try to go to any site, the status bar in IE says 10.0.0.1, which I
>know is not a routable IP address. Why is it doing this? Either way, it always times out and no page
>can be displayed. Just to be sure, I put a new nic in and the same thing happens. I am completely
>lost.


Sounds like the machine in question is not set up for the internet.
The IP address of 10.0.0.1 is routable. It is usually used on a LAN.
Try going to Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options and set it up the
internet. How was the customer getting on the internet before? Over
a LAN?

- Rick

Needs More Cow Bell
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2004
I meant that it was not routable over the net just like 192.168.

I set it up for the internet as I have done thousands of times in the past with other machines The
customer never really set anything up before. He bought it, installed AOL and used the cable modem.
I just did a complete restore from the original 2 restore CDs. That should bring it back to the
state it was in when he first purchased the computer.

I will look at the DNS as has been suggested by others here but since I have it set to obtain IP and
DNS automatically from the router, it should work, the same way as the other 4 computers connected
to the same router running win xp do.

Tony


On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:55:28 -0500, Rick Rottman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:
>
>>I customer brought in his PC because he said he could get emails and use AIM, but can no longer
>>browse using Internet Explorer. I looked it over and checked there was no firewall preventing PORT
>>80 or anything and all looked ok. The NIC works because I could use AIM and ping the router as well
>>getting an IP address from it. But I can not browse. I figured something had to happen somewhere and
>>since the guy said he had nothing important on the computer, I can restore the PC using the Restore
>>CDs. I wiped the machine clean (deleted and created teh partition). Ran the recovery cds. With the
>>machine completely and freshly restored, I am experiencing the same problem. I am baffled.
>>
>>One thing I notice is that when I try to go to any site, the status bar in IE says 10.0.0.1, which I
>>know is not a routable IP address. Why is it doing this? Either way, it always times out and no page
>>can be displayed. Just to be sure, I put a new nic in and the same thing happens. I am completely
>>lost.

>
>Sounds like the machine in question is not set up for the internet.
>The IP address of 10.0.0.1 is routable. It is usually used on a LAN.
>Try going to Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options and set it up the
>internet. How was the customer getting on the internet before? Over
>a LAN?
>
>- Rick
>
>Needs More Cow Bell


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2004

>>
>> Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Tony

>Almost sounds like a DNS server is returning this address for any lookup.
>You probably have the DNS
>acquired from the router (DHCP?). Try manually assigning a DNS address in
>the PC to bypass the router.
>Maybe the router has a bad DNS server set manually?
>Also check the hosts file for anything "fishy."
>J



Just a follow up to this problem. I went to the Internet Options in IE / Connections /Advanced and I
noticed a Proxy Server of 10.0.0.1. I unchecked it and all is back to normal. I don't know why it
would restore to that setting but it did. So, I undid and problem is solved.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Tony
 
Reply With Quote
 
John D Loop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2004


..
"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >>
> >> Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Tony

> >Almost sounds like a DNS server is returning this address for any lookup.
> >You probably have the DNS
> >acquired from the router (DHCP?). Try manually assigning a DNS address

in
> >the PC to bypass the router.
> >Maybe the router has a bad DNS server set manually?
> >Also check the hosts file for anything "fishy."
> >J

>
>
> Just a follow up to this problem. I went to the Internet Options in IE /

Connections /Advanced and I
> noticed a Proxy Server of 10.0.0.1. I unchecked it and all is back to

normal. I don't know why it
> would restore to that setting but it did. So, I undid and problem is

solved.
>
> Thanks all for your suggestions.
>
> Tony

Thanks for following up. Always something to learn.
Tend to forget about proxy servers out here on the Internet!
J
--
Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
homenetworking environments!
www.pccitizen.com
You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
let alone what it was all about. And then you children get to do it all
over again


 
Reply With Quote
 
Edward Greene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 05:25:22 GMT, Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

>I customer brought in his PC because he said he could get emails and use AIM, but can no longer
>browse using Internet Explorer. I looked it over and checked there was no firewall preventing PORT
>80 or anything and all looked ok. The NIC works because I could use AIM and ping the router as well
>getting an IP address from it. But I can not browse. I figured something had to happen somewhere and
>since the guy said he had nothing important on the computer, I can restore the PC using the Restore
>CDs. I wiped the machine clean (deleted and created teh partition). Ran the recovery cds. With the
>machine completely and freshly restored, I am experiencing the same problem. I am baffled.
>
>One thing I notice is that when I try to go to any site, the status bar in IE says 10.0.0.1, which I
>know is not a routable IP address. Why is it doing this? Either way, it always times out and no page
>can be displayed. Just to be sure, I put a new nic in and the same thing happens. I am completely
>lost.
>
>Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.
>
>Tony


Also try running setup in the internet options
To reply remove
ihatespam.
and.the.spamers
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Assigning value to Browse button without using browse button in HTML balakrishnan.dinesh@gmail.com Javascript 0 10-12-2007 06:45 AM
newbie with a weird technical problem (@ least I think it's weird) will Ruby 6 12-27-2006 04:46 PM
Internet Explorer 6 Can't Browse, Other Programs Browse Fine... Ike Computer Support 1 08-02-2005 09:20 PM
cannot browse other machines on domain -keevill- Wireless Networking 1 12-14-2004 05:47 PM
NEW IE PROBLEM: Cannot browse internet with IE but can with MY COMPUTER Tony A+ Certification 6 05-22-2004 09:32 PM



Advertisments