Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Newbie question on relevance of some A+ things

Reply
Thread Tools

Newbie question on relevance of some A+ things

 
 
Carrito
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2004
Hello, I have been studying to go and take this test. I have the Mike
Meyers 5th edition book and also the A+ Exam guides book by Crayton. I
dont have any in the field experience yet, as this is my first
prerequisit. I am kinda inundated with info though. OK, I can
understand having to know the COM ports and IRQ's and stuff but what
in the world, even with 6 months experience would you really need to
know which processor, several years old by the way, has what level of
built in cache, or the difference between Nortbridge and Southbridge
on the Motherboard???????? I am simply confounded by all the info in
this book, some of which it seems that you really wont ever need to
use. If I am wrong please shed some light. Thanks

Carrito
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ripper T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
Carrito,

I have used All-in-One A+ and it contains just about all the info you
need to pass the exam, but also alot of stuff you DON'T need for the
exam. The best book I have found for that is A+ FastPass by Sybex.
It's written by David Groth and is very condensed, all the exam
specific stuff is distilled down into a readable, useable text; it's
almost a reference. I took the A+ software exam (missed it by 7
points!), so I know what's on it now and this book nails it. I
recommend it. It covers hardware, too. Comes with a CD with two
priactice exams which I haven't looked at yet. Bought it at Barnes &
Noble, but go to Amazon, it'll be cheaper. ISBN 0-7821-4259-1.

Good luck,

Ripper
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Carrito
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ripper T) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> Carrito,
>
> I have used All-in-One A+ and it contains just about all the info you
> need to pass the exam, but also alot of stuff you DON'T need for the
> exam. The best book I have found for that is A+ FastPass by Sybex.
> It's written by David Groth and is very condensed, all the exam
> specific stuff is distilled down into a readable, useable text; it's
> almost a reference. I took the A+ software exam (missed it by 7
> points!), so I know what's on it now and this book nails it. I
> recommend it. It covers hardware, too. Comes with a CD with two
> priactice exams which I haven't looked at yet. Bought it at Barnes &
> Noble, but go to Amazon, it'll be cheaper. ISBN 0-7821-4259-1.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Ripper


Thanks for the book advice Ripper. Incidentally I just ordered a book
from B&N, but I got the A+ Exam Guides by A. Crayton. I had some other
people tell me that this was also a great book. Hope so anyways. It'll
be here today. Just ot of curiosity, do you or someone know, if
you go and take one section of the test and pass, is there a length of
time that you have to take the other section, or what? I have been
studying for the Hardware portion of the test and was planning on
taking the Software portion after passing it. Thanks.

Carrito
 
Reply With Quote
 
Karkucus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2004
Looking toward Network+ Certification , Here is greate Link
for Excellent Network+ Certification Guide,

http://www.studyexam4less.com/mb.asp

Also here is another Money saving idea for A+ Testing exam fee. buy voucher
and Scheduale the exam using A+ voucher for Only US $92.00 saving of
US $ 63
http://www.getcertify4less.com/mb.asp


(E-Mail Removed) (Ripper T) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> Carrito,
>
> I have used All-in-One A+ and it contains just about all the info you
> need to pass the exam, but also alot of stuff you DON'T need for the
> exam. The best book I have found for that is A+ FastPass by Sybex.
> It's written by David Groth and is very condensed, all the exam
> specific stuff is distilled down into a readable, useable text; it's
> almost a reference. I took the A+ software exam (missed it by 7
> points!), so I know what's on it now and this book nails it. I
> recommend it. It covers hardware, too. Comes with a CD with two
> priactice exams which I haven't looked at yet. Bought it at Barnes &
> Noble, but go to Amazon, it'll be cheaper. ISBN 0-7821-4259-1.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Ripper

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom MacIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004
On 30 Jan 2004 15:57:12 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Developwebsites)
wrote:

>>I
>>dont have any in the field experience yet, as this is my first

>
>you dont need any books, just 6 months real world exp.
>
>>prerequisit. I am kinda inundated with info though. OK, I can
>>built in cache, or the difference between Nortbridge and Southbridge
>>on the Motherboard???????? I am simply confounded by all the info in
>>this book, some of which it seems that you really wont ever need to
>>use. If I am wrong please shed some light. Thanks
>>

>
>the book is too big, too heavy, too much old and useless info.
>


Yeah...right.

Tom

>
>--------------------------------------------------
> *** E-mail is shut off ***
>--------------------------------------------------


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Relevance of MCSE 2003 in Vista world Red Swingline Stapler MCSE 3 12-05-2006 05:04 PM
Of some relevance to the group slugworth DVD Video 0 06-24-2006 04:49 AM
Certification material relevance for upcoming 2.0/ 2005 Microsoft versions? olav_net@hotmail.com Microsoft Certification 0 08-23-2005 11:11 AM
MP relevance? al Digital Photography 5 08-21-2005 11:34 PM
seems OT; will demonstrate relevance Merrill & Michele C Programming 10 11-18-2004 02:05 PM



Advertisments