Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: monitors???

Re: monitors???

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 04:55:57 -0500, "SBFan2000"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What about Samsung, KDS, AOC, or ProView??? I have never been a fan of
>Samsung but I have been very happy with my MAG Innovision and when opening
>it up to work on it I discovered the tube is a Samsung.

I'll bet it isn't a particular line that had blue labels; they're
famous for their high failure rate. They haven't been around in years.

I always liked Mag, Viewsonic, and recent Samsung/Samtron (I did
warranty repair for Samsung for about 5 years, and right now I am
looking at a 17" Samtron that's had no problems in 2 1/2 years of
heavy use), but the problem with monitors is certain potentially
expensive and high failure rate parts can be a "flavour of the month"
thing. There's no way to know what's inside. They should have to at
least identify the CRT and whose capacitors they use, so a
customer/end user can make an informed decision.

You can be safe with anybody who doesn't make knee-jerk, unnecessary
majorchanges every few months, generally. Warranty (or over the
counter replacement) is also an issue.

Tom

hootnholler

Hi SB

One monitor that I would personally recommend, is Viewsonic. I work in
industrial settings, ie, factories, and they seem to hold up very well.
Given that these are in environments that are less than desirable, they do a
very good job in reliability. I personally own an NEC and it seems to be
doing very well, even though one of my daughters attacked it with a magnet.
It's the same daughter that hit another computer with a water balloon...
Gotta love them kids.

As to your question about refresh rates, I believe the rule of thumb is a
minimum of 60 Hz. Anything lower causes eyestrain and headaches in
prolonged usage.

The best info I have found online is usually through PC World magazine.
They are kind of like the consumer reports of the pc industry. Here's the
latest list they have on monitors...
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/index/0,00.asp and here is the direct link
to 19" monitors...
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,112473,00.asp. They also have
listing for 15", 17", LCD, etc... so happy purusing!

Hoot

"SBFan2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been looking at a few samsungs that have a .20 pinch but their max
> refresh rate at fulll resolution is 65hz. Is that not alittle low?
> Although I'm not going to use it at max res, going to use it at 1024-768!
>

> "Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 04:55:57 -0500, "SBFan2000"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >What about Samsung, KDS, AOC, or ProView??? I have never been a fan of
> > >Samsung but I have been very happy with my MAG Innovision and when

> opening
> > >it up to work on it I discovered the tube is a Samsung.
> > >

> > I'll bet it isn't a particular line that had blue labels; they're
> > famous for their high failure rate. They haven't been around in years.
> >
> > I always liked Mag, Viewsonic, and recent Samsung/Samtron (I did
> > warranty repair for Samsung for about 5 years, and right now I am
> > looking at a 17" Samtron that's had no problems in 2 1/2 years of
> > heavy use), but the problem with monitors is certain potentially
> > expensive and high failure rate parts can be a "flavour of the month"
> > thing. There's no way to know what's inside. They should have to at
> > least identify the CRT and whose capacitors they use, so a
> > customer/end user can make an informed decision.
> >
> > You can be safe with anybody who doesn't make knee-jerk, unnecessary
> > majorchanges every few months, generally. Warranty (or over the
> > counter replacement) is also an issue.
> >
> > Tom

EDI

You probably have used a manual switch, try using an electronic KVM switch.

Edi

"SBFan2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I found out that part of my problem is a recently installed data switch

for
> sharing my monitor with two PCs. When plugged into the switch I get focus
> problems and items on the screen have an "echo" behind them. Is there a

way