Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: MSConfig Error

Re: MSConfig Error

Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:30:17 GMT, Barry Watzman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I run MSConfig, I get the following error message several times:
>
>**************
>
>System Configuration Utility Cannot Read the {filename.ext} file because
>an error occured.
>
>The system-reported error is: The system cannot find the path specified.
>
>You will not be able to view or modify this file until you correct the
>problem and restart the system configuration utility.
>
>**************
>
>I get this error repeated for every system file (config.sys,
>autoexec.bat, system.ini, etc.).
>
>My system is multi-boot and I believe that there is a problem with
>boot.ini, but that's just a guess. My boot.ini file is:
>
>**************
>
>[boot loader]
>timeout=30
>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDO WS
>[operating systems]
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Micr osoft Windows XP
>Professional" /fastdetect
>C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
>
>**************
>
>The system has a single hard drive. Drive C: is Windows 98, while drive
>D: (2nd partition) is XP (there are also E:, F:, G: and H: partitions.
>All partitions except H: are FAT32, H: is NTFS.
>
>Does anyone see an obvious problem? I'm wondering if the "partition(3)"
>that appears twice in boot.ini file should be "partition(2)".

Since partition 0 appears to be a possible option, maybe drive D: is
partition(1)?

Tom

Msconfig error Mark Computer Support 5 03-10-2005 07:08 PM
Win 98SE MSCONFIG.EXE Ed Wireless Networking 1 01-24-2005 08:45 PM
Re: MSConfig Error MF A+ Certification 3 01-17-2004 05:04 AM
Re: MSCONFIG EXPERTS WANTED!! user@domain.invalid Computer Support 0 07-16-2003 07:24 PM
msconfig query Henry S C Computer Support 5 07-05-2003 04:45 PM

Advertisments