Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Maxtor HD "click of death", now dead - any hope?

Maxtor HD "click of death", now dead - any hope?

Gondo

Have a Maxtor 80GB D740X-6L hard drive running Windows XP Pro that started
the notorious "click of death" recently, with the accompanying onscreen
freeze with each click. Finally, the drive had multiple clicks in a row and
then died - wouldn't respond at all.

Upon several reboots, spaced apart many hours, the drive still is not being
detected and I get a "Press any key to reboot" message on the black screen
well before Windows would normally start.

Would any of the "200 ways to revive a hard drive" (freezing, dropping,
hitting, hair dryer, etc.) work with this drive to get it up and running
temporarily to save contents?

I noticed this "click of death" with a previous Maxtor drive, so I removed
it from my main PC and installed it into an older PC that I hardly ever use,
and it seems to work fine, in limited use.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

-Gondo

Gondo

Barry,
Thanks for the response and the info.

I followed the directions for the PowerMax diagnostic utility and removed my
other hard drive (Maxtor 20GB) on the ATA secondary bus connector while
reinstalling the 80GB drive into the ATA primary connector. I was
dual-booting Windows XP Pro, with the 20GB drive the alternate/backup drive.

Lo and behold, the 80GB drive was detected and booted up just fine! I've had
it running for a few minutes and it appears to be okay, no clicks.

So here's what I can't figure out: Prior to the recent intermittent "click
of death" activity, after working for awhile on the computer, I would hear a
single "click" similar to the click of death, and I would hear one of the
drives spin down, presumably the 20GB drive. There would usually be no
further activity from that drive unless I emptied my Norton Recycle bin, in
which case the contents would not be deleted for a few seconds while the
presumably 20GB drive would spin back up.

I have a CD-CDRW drive on the primary IDE channel and a DVD-ROM drive on the
secondary IDE channel.

So why is the 80GB drive detected now and runs just fine, without the 20GB
alternate drive installed? Do you suppose I run the risk of the same problem
if I reinstall the 20GB drive? Is this behavior caused by the ATA bus? Is
the 20GB drive causing the problems?

My motherboard is an Asus A7V133 Socket A, with a AMD Athlon 1.33GHz
processor.

Any ideas you have as to what's causing the clicking/problems with the 80GB
drive while the 20GB drive is installed would be appreciated!

Thanks much,
Gondo

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go to the Maxtor web site, download their diagnostic utility and run it.
>
> Many drives have a 3-year warranty (although current drives are only
> only one year). If it's under warranty, send it back.
>

> Gondo wrote:
>
> > Have a Maxtor 80GB D740X-6L hard drive running Windows XP Pro that

started
> > the notorious "click of death" recently, with the accompanying onscreen
> > freeze with each click. Finally, the drive had multiple clicks in a row

and
> > then died - wouldn't respond at all.
> >
> > Upon several reboots, spaced apart many hours, the drive still is not

being
> > detected and I get a "Press any key to reboot" message on the black

screen
> > well before Windows would normally start.
> >
> > Would any of the "200 ways to revive a hard drive" (freezing, dropping,
> > hitting, hair dryer, etc.) work with this drive to get it up and running
> > temporarily to save contents?
> >
> > I noticed this "click of death" with a previous Maxtor drive, so I

removed
> > it from my main PC and installed it into an older PC that I hardly ever

use,
> > and it seems to work fine, in limited use.
> >
> > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
> >
> > -Gondo

Ghost

In article <ypXJb.4020$zf.940@okepread05>, "Gondo"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Have a Maxtor 80GB D740X-6L hard drive running Windows XP Pro that started
> the notorious "click of death" recently, with the accompanying onscreen
> freeze with each click. Finally, the drive had multiple clicks in a row and
> then died - wouldn't respond at all.
>
> Upon several reboots, spaced apart many hours, the drive still is not being
> detected and I get a "Press any key to reboot" message on the black screen
> well before Windows would normally start.
>
> Would any of the "200 ways to revive a hard drive" (freezing, dropping,
> hitting, hair dryer, etc.) work with this drive to get it up and running
> temporarily to save contents?
>
> I noticed this "click of death" with a previous Maxtor drive, so I removed
> it from my main PC and installed it into an older PC that I hardly ever use,
> and it seems to work fine, in limited use.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> -Gondo

The click of death is a pretty pronounced sound and you should have saved
your data immediately.

Usually SMART detection gives you advanced warning. Unfortunately, almost
all computers (motherboards) ship with this SMART feature disabled. A
savvy tech knows to enable it immediately.

As I tell my customers, once a drive begins to fail there is a very
limited window of opportunity to recover data. The more the HDD is used
during its failure period, the smaller that window gets- rapidly.

As far as recovery tricks- I can tell you I have done many things with
many dead HDDs in an effort to recover data.

I have frozen them, repeatedly dropped them from about 2 inches above the
counter, even ran them with the cover removed and held onto the actuator
arm to force it from dropping to the spindle core, prevent it from
parking, or just to prevent it from chattering. Each and every method has
worked at one time or another, and each and every method has failed at one
time or another. They fail more often than they work.

At this point, you have a dead drive. There is nothing you can do to
damage it further- with the possible exception of voiding the warranty (if
there is one) by opening it up. Anything you might try might work. But,
it probably will not. Again, do not open it if it is under warranty and
you expect to return it for warranty replacement.

Good luck!

Ghost

In article <DFYJb.4387$zf.1665@okepread05>, "Gondo"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Barry,
> Thanks for the response and the info.
>
> I followed the directions for the PowerMax diagnostic utility and removed my
> other hard drive (Maxtor 20GB) on the ATA secondary bus connector while
> reinstalling the 80GB drive into the ATA primary connector. I was
> dual-booting Windows XP Pro, with the 20GB drive the alternate/backup drive.
>
> Lo and behold, the 80GB drive was detected and booted up just fine! I've had
> it running for a few minutes and it appears to be okay, no clicks.
>
> So here's what I can't figure out: Prior to the recent intermittent "click
> of death" activity, after working for awhile on the computer, I would hear a
> single "click" similar to the click of death, and I would hear one of the
> drives spin down, presumably the 20GB drive. There would usually be no
> further activity from that drive unless I emptied my Norton Recycle bin, in
> which case the contents would not be deleted for a few seconds while the
> presumably 20GB drive would spin back up.

It is possible that the 20 is bad and the 80- is good? I dont know.
Which one does it hang up on when POSTing? Whichever drive is failing
needs to be backed up and replaced.

> I have a CD-CDRW drive on the primary IDE channel and a DVD-ROM drive on the
> secondary IDE channel.

This is an incorrect configuration. The CDs needs to be on their own
channel when possible. They tend to slow down data transfers on fast IDE
busses.

> So why is the 80GB drive detected now and runs just fine, without the 20GB
> alternate drive installed? Do you suppose I run the risk of the same problem
> if I reinstall the 20GB drive? Is this behavior caused by the ATA bus? Is
> the 20GB drive causing the problems?
>
> My motherboard is an Asus A7V133 Socket A, with a AMD Athlon 1.33GHz
> processor.
>
> Any ideas you have as to what's causing the clicking/problems with the 80GB
> drive while the 20GB drive is installed would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks much,
> Gondo

As per my previous post, once a HDD starts to click, you have *NO* choice
but to back up your data and replace the HDD. There are no exceptions to
this in my experience. It may work fine today, but what about tomorrow?

Ghost

In article <R6ZJb.1569$(E-Mail Removed)>, Kampman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> More than once I have seen symptoms like these turn out to be a bad
> power connector plugged into the hard drive. Computers do weird things
> when the IDE cable is connected but there is no power. If the power
> connector is momentarily breaking contact it will make the drive click
> and spin down and back up. Switch to an unused connector or use a
> Y-adapter.

err... sort of.. but not really.

If the HDD loses power during a run cycle, you might hear a single click
as the actuator arm parks and HDD spins down. The PC will general give a
BSOD regarding not being able to save data or access the HDD or something
along those lines.

A clicking HDD is an unmistakable sound which normally cannot be confused
with anything else. You can hear it across the room and know what is
happening immediately.

Gondo

Guys,
Thanks for the responses, after seeing the supposedly bad hard drive come
back to life instantly after removing the 2nd hard drive on the secondary
ATA channel and continue to work with no problem, I'm starting to wonder
about the power supply.

It's the original one (3 years old, fairly heavy use) only 250 watts and
powering 2 hard drives, a CDR-CDRW, a DVD-ROM, floppy drive, 5 PCI cards,
AGP card and an ISA card, not to mention all the other usual stuff. The
brand is "Value Line", which I've never heard of and is probably average to
low quality.

Not sure about Kampman's solution, as I used the same power connector for
the 80GB drive after removing the 20GB drive.

Ghost, my mistake, the CDR-CDRW drive is the master to the DVD-ROM drive and
both are connected to the primariry IDE channel, as they should be.

I'm not taking any chances, bought a new Western Digital 120GB drive and
will start backing up shortly. However, I think I may replace the power
supply too, just in case. Would a good-quality (i.e. Antec) 300-watt power
supply do the trick or should I go to a 350 or 400-watt model?

As always, your thoughts and solutions are greatly appreciated!

-Gondo

"Ghost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> In article <DFYJb.4387$zf.1665@okepread05>, "Gondo"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Barry,
> > Thanks for the response and the info.
> >
> > I followed the directions for the PowerMax diagnostic utility and

removed my
> > other hard drive (Maxtor 20GB) on the ATA secondary bus connector while
> > reinstalling the 80GB drive into the ATA primary connector. I was
> > dual-booting Windows XP Pro, with the 20GB drive the alternate/backup

drive.

> > Lo and behold, the 80GB drive was detected and booted up just fine! I've

had
> > it running for a few minutes and it appears to be okay, no clicks.
> >
> > So here's what I can't figure out: Prior to the recent intermittent

"click
> > of death" activity, after working for awhile on the computer, I would

hear a
> > single "click" similar to the click of death, and I would hear one of

the
> > drives spin down, presumably the 20GB drive. There would usually be no
> > further activity from that drive unless I emptied my Norton Recycle bin,

in
> > which case the contents would not be deleted for a few seconds while the
> > presumably 20GB drive would spin back up.

> It is possible that the 20 is bad and the 80- is good? I dont know.
> Which one does it hang up on when POSTing? Whichever drive is failing
> needs to be backed up and replaced.
>

> > I have a CD-CDRW drive on the primary IDE channel and a DVD-ROM drive on

the
> > secondary IDE channel.

> This is an incorrect configuration. The CDs needs to be on their own
> channel when possible. They tend to slow down data transfers on fast IDE
> busses.
>

> > So why is the 80GB drive detected now and runs just fine, without the

20GB
> > alternate drive installed? Do you suppose I run the risk of the same

problem
> > if I reinstall the 20GB drive? Is this behavior caused by the ATA bus?

Is
> > the 20GB drive causing the problems?
> >
> > My motherboard is an Asus A7V133 Socket A, with a AMD Athlon 1.33GHz
> > processor.
> >
> > Any ideas you have as to what's causing the clicking/problems with the

80GB
> > drive while the 20GB drive is installed would be appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks much,
> > Gondo
> >

> As per my previous post, once a HDD starts to click, you have *NO* choice
> but to back up your data and replace the HDD. There are no exceptions to
> this in my experience. It may work fine today, but what about tomorrow?

Gary

>The click of death is a pretty pronounced sound and you should have saved
>your data immediately.
>
>Usually SMART detection gives you advanced warning. Unfortunately, almost
>all computers (motherboards) ship with this SMART feature disabled. A
>savvy tech knows to enable it immediately.

ghost how do you enable the "smart detection feature" thru the bios?

I'm not familiar with it.

Gary

Gondo

Gary,
Thanks for your thoughts. The click was very pronounced and each time it
occurred, the screen would freeze (i.e. couldn't do anything) for about 10
seconds. Never got a blue screen of death.

I'm still thinking the power supply is the problem, but I would like to be
able to check and see if the SMART feature is disabled in the BIOS, as I had
no warning of a problem. I may nose around in the BIOS to see if I can find
that feature and its status.

Thanks again for weighing in.

-Gondo

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >The click of death is a pretty pronounced sound and you should have saved
> >your data immediately.
> >
> >Usually SMART detection gives you advanced warning. Unfortunately,

almost
> >all computers (motherboards) ship with this SMART feature disabled. A
> >savvy tech knows to enable it immediately.
> >

> ghost how do you enable the "smart detection feature" thru the bios?
>
> I'm not familiar with it.
>
> Gary

Ghost

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gary
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >The click of death is a pretty pronounced sound and you should have saved
> >your data immediately.
> >
> >Usually SMART detection gives you advanced warning. Unfortunately, almost
> >all computers (motherboards) ship with this SMART feature disabled. A
> >savvy tech knows to enable it immediately.
> >

> ghost how do you enable the "smart detection feature" thru the bios?
>
> I'm not familiar with it.
>
> Gary

*IF* the motherboard is a decent motherboard, there will be a way to
enable it in CMOS. Depending on the mobo manufacturer, it will be in
different locations within CMOS.

Cheap motherboards have few options to set, including SMART. If you
cannot enable SMART, the mobo does not support this very important
feature.

Gary

>*IF* the motherboard is a decent motherboard, there will be a way to
>enable it in CMOS. Depending on the mobo manufacturer, it will be in
>different locations within CMOS.
>
>Cheap motherboards have few options to set, including SMART. If you
>cannot enable SMART, the mobo does not support this very important
>feature.

Ghost, will it be called "smart"? I have an Abit mobo with a 1 ghz
althon and I couldn't find any setting that referred to "smart".

Thanks for your guidance.