Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Help setup home network

Help setup home network

Raymond

I have a cable modem with cable internet connected to a network hub to share
internet connnection between two computers. The two window xp computers
connnected to the hub to share internet. I want to set up a network to
share file and folder though that hub, but window xp says this kind of
network configuration is not recommended. XP gives a warning saying this
wizard enable internet connection firewall(ICF) on this computer. ICF will
protect this computer from internet security threats, but it might also
prevent this computer from sharing file with other computers on your
network. I went ahead and accept this setting, but the network won't work.
I can't see anything. What is other ways I can set up a home network
through a hub at the same time able to share internet access, or I can only
have one way without the other?

Thank You.

John D Loop

You MUST get a router, like the Linksys to put behind the cable modem if you
want to do a home network!
Windows made a good decision in this case to turn on ICF since you do not
have anything else protecting you.
You can't do networking with ICF turned on, so you have to turn it off, but
you better NOT do it without being behind a router.
Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
homenetworking environments!
www.pccitizen.com

"Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a cable modem with cable internet connected to a network hub to

share
> internet connnection between two computers. The two window xp computers
> connnected to the hub to share internet. I want to set up a network to
> share file and folder though that hub, but window xp says this kind of
> network configuration is not recommended. XP gives a warning saying this
> wizard enable internet connection firewall(ICF) on this computer. ICF

will
> protect this computer from internet security threats, but it might also
> prevent this computer from sharing file with other computers on your
> network. I went ahead and accept this setting, but the network won't

work.
> I can't see anything. What is other ways I can set up a home network
> through a hub at the same time able to share internet access, or I can

only
> have one way without the other?
>
> Thank You.

hootnholler

Hey Ray,

You can setup that type of network, but I would agree with John
wholeheartedly on his statements. With a cable modem, especially networked,
a router is a very good idea. Try to get one that does packet filtering,
also. I also managed to get a print 'server' with my router, and works very
nicely, instead of having printers all over the place...

You could install zonealarm, on your hub setup and then configure the
firewall to accept information from the other computers on the networks by
their ip addresses. This is a risky venture, though, since if a hacker were
to be able to get access to one computer, they would very easily get access
to the other one. It's been compared to locking every window, door and any
other access to your house, but leave the back door wide open. Not very
secure, is it? Plus, I'm not a big fan of xp's built in firewall. It's an
okay basic firewall, but a router would be much more configurable, secure
and to be honest, I sleep better at night having one

The good news is a router is about $50, and definitely worth the investment.
With the way that security is going nowadays, you'd hate to be a 'zombie'
that brings down a major network...

Hoot

"John D Loop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c8rIb.52010$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> You MUST get a router, like the Linksys to put behind the cable modem if

you
> want to do a home network!
> Windows made a good decision in this case to turn on ICF since you do not
> have anything else protecting you.
> You can't do networking with ICF turned on, so you have to turn it off,

but
> you better NOT do it without being behind a router.
> Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and

wireless
> homenetworking environments!
> www.pccitizen.com
>
> "Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a cable modem with cable internet connected to a network hub to

> share
> > internet connnection between two computers. The two window xp computers
> > connnected to the hub to share internet. I want to set up a network to
> > share file and folder though that hub, but window xp says this kind of
> > network configuration is not recommended. XP gives a warning saying

this
> > wizard enable internet connection firewall(ICF) on this computer. ICF

> will
> > protect this computer from internet security threats, but it might also
> > prevent this computer from sharing file with other computers on your
> > network. I went ahead and accept this setting, but the network won't

> work.
> > I can't see anything. What is other ways I can set up a home network
> > through a hub at the same time able to share internet access, or I can

> only
> > have one way without the other?
> >
> > Thank You.

Raymond

Is this the kind of router I need?( link below)
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...2&searchdepa=1

It is wireless, but I don't want go wireless. I want to hook up cable to
this router and sharing file and internet. Is most wireless router has
outlet on it that allow cable to hook to? Sorry, i am not a network freak,
and therefore don't know much.

By the way, Thank you all, especically you, Barry. You are always very
helpful.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The current configuration that you have is a BAD configuration for two
> reasons:
>
> 1. It requires two "public" IP addresses, one for each computer. Most
> ISP's either won't give you this, or they will charge you ($5 to $20)
> each and every month for the 2nd IP address.
>
> 2. From a security perspective, both computers are "exposed" to the
> internet, visible and vulnerable to hacking. Sharing files in this
> configuration is extremely dangerous.
>
> The correct way to set this up is to replace the hub (or switch) with a
> "router" (actually, the devices sold are combination routers and
> switches in the same physical box). Only one "public" IP address will
> be required, that of the router, and the router will be the only thing
> "exposed" to the internet, and it's essentially "hack-proof". Your
> computers will have "private" IP addresses known and visible only to the
> router. You will then be able to share files both relatively easily and
> relatively (if not totally) securely.
>

> Raymond wrote:
>
> > I have a cable modem with cable internet connected to a network hub to

share
> > internet connnection between two computers. The two window xp computers
> > connnected to the hub to share internet. I want to set up a network to
> > share file and folder though that hub, but window xp says this kind of
> > network configuration is not recommended. XP gives a warning saying

this
> > wizard enable internet connection firewall(ICF) on this computer. ICF

will
> > protect this computer from internet security threats, but it might also
> > prevent this computer from sharing file with other computers on your
> > network. I went ahead and accept this setting, but the network won't

work.
> > I can't see anything. What is other ways I can set up a home network
> > through a hub at the same time able to share internet access, or I can

only
> > have one way without the other?
> >
> > Thank You.

Raymond

It is wireless, but I don't want go wireless. I want to hook up cable to
this router and sharing file and internet

oop, i guess i asked a bad question. I search and found that router is not
neccessary to be wireless. But an wireless router will save me money if I
decide to go wireless later. However, when go to a network wizard in
window xp which option should I choose if I have a router? Should I choose a
option that says "This computer connects to the internet directly to the
internet directly or through a network hub. Other computers on my network
also connect to the internet directly or through a hub"?

Thank you All.

rbeardjr

I am far from experienced, but I have home dsl with 2 computers hooked up
sharing an internet connection as well as files and a printer... Linksys
came highly recommended, as well as netgear.
I went with the netgear because of a small price difference, as well as it
supported my IP host.
When I set up my small LAN I used xp, which is xp pro, and set up my
computers as a workgroup. I may be wrong, but I think that is the way to
go..

"Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It is wireless, but I don't want go wireless. I want to hook up cable to
> this router and sharing file and internet
> >>>

> oop, i guess i asked a bad question. I search and found that router is

not
> neccessary to be wireless. But an wireless router will save me money if

> decide to go wireless later. However, when go to a network wizard in
> window xp which option should I choose if I have a router? Should I choose

> option that says "This computer connects to the internet directly to the
> internet directly or through a network hub. Other computers on my network
> also connect to the internet directly or through a hub"?
>
> Thank you All.

Raymond

The device at your link would work but it's much more than you need, and
much more expensive (more than twice as expensive as what you need).
<<<<

A got a switch box with at least 6 holes on it. I just found in the my
closet..hehehehe...Would it work like a router too? Dont want wasting
money if something I have already had work as well.

Thank You.

Raymond

The device at your link would work but it's much more than you need, and
much more expensive (more than twice as expensive as what you need).

the manufacturer is linksys. The box is called etherfast10/100 8 port
workgroup switch, Model EZXS88W.

Jeff Stein

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, hootnholler wrote:

> The good news is a router is about $50, and definitely worth the investment.
> With the way that security is going nowadays, you'd hate to be a 'zombie'
> that brings down a major network...

I wouldn't install a home network without one. I've had good
results with Coyote Linux, a router that runs in a ramdisk
on a dedicated PC, usually a former doorstop that is called
back into service (mine's a pI 135mhz but it'll run on a 486
with at least 4M ram). Uses ipchains.

P.S. Remember, ramdisk is _not_ an installation procedure.

Jeff
Custom Systems Since 1988

MacSysOp

No, Raymond is right, the switch won't work. You need a router.
I've been using the LinkSys for the same kind of network you are
trying to set up (cable with two or more computers). I've had both
Macintosh / Windows machines hooked up at different times. One note of
caution though. Don't leave the LinkSys configured with the default
user / password configuration. If you don't, hackers may be able to
log into your router.