Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > A+ Before CCNA?

A+ Before CCNA?

Jack Barrett

I want to get A+ and CCNA.
Which one should I pursue first?
Is A+ an natural progression to CCNA?
Suggestions? Web Sites?

Thanks,

jack
http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Slammer

Depends on your experience, no experience you better start with A+ to Net+
and then CCNA.

--
Slammer
MCSA, CNA, Server+, Net+, iNet+, A+

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kx5Ib.36764$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to get A+ and CCNA.
> Which one should I pursue first?
> Is A+ an natural progression to CCNA?
> Suggestions? Web Sites?
>
> Thanks,
>
> jack
> http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Jack Barrett

Hey Slammer,

Thanks for the advice!
Why Net+ ?
Do you live in Florida?
Noticed your email is Adelphia.

Thanks,

jack

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kx5Ib.36764$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to get A+ and CCNA.
> Which one should I pursue first?
> Is A+ an natural progression to CCNA?
> Suggestions? Web Sites?
>
> Thanks,
>
> jack
> http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Slammer

Up in Virginia....like JBS says, you really need to pickup the basics of
networking with Net+ unless you have alot of prior experience.

--
Slammer
MCSA, CNA, Server+, Net+, iNet+, A+
"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newszfIb.32484$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey Slammer,
>
> Thanks for the advice!
> Why Net+ ?
> Do you live in Florida?
> Noticed your email is Adelphia.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jack
>

> "Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kx5Ib.36764$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I want to get A+ and CCNA.
> > Which one should I pursue first?
> > Is A+ an natural progression to CCNA?
> > Suggestions? Web Sites?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > jack
> > http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Jack Barrett

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
A+ then I will get Net+ =0)

Happy New Year,

jack
http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kx5Ib.36764$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to get A+ and CCNA.
> Which one should I pursue first?
> Is A+ an natural progression to CCNA?
> Suggestions? Web Sites?
>
> Thanks,
>
> jack
> http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Tom MacIntyre

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 03:56:01 GMT, "Slammer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Depends on your experience, no experience you better start with A+ to Net+
>and then CCNA.

I've never really understood the idea of the "progression" from A+ to
Net+. There isn't much overlap, and not much real natural progression
either. Someone could become quite proficient at networking without
really knowing much about what's inside the box, couldn't they?
Whether it is a good idea may be another story...just tossing out an
idea.

Tom

Slammer

I think if your a good network tech you need to have some understanding of
the hardware side of the business, also I was making reference to experience
level of the user. I learned all my network stuff before taking A+, but I
also had years of experience fooling around with hardware. I've seen
network admins that when handed memory modules for CPQ Proliant servers
freak out on trying to install them.

--
Slammer
MCSA, CNA, Server+, Net+, iNet+, A+
"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 03:56:01 GMT, "Slammer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Depends on your experience, no experience you better start with A+ to

Net+
> >and then CCNA.

> I've never really understood the idea of the "progression" from A+ to
> Net+. There isn't much overlap, and not much real natural progression
> either. Someone could become quite proficient at networking without
> really knowing much about what's inside the box, couldn't they?
> Whether it is a good idea may be another story...just tossing out an
> idea.
>
> Tom

Slammer

Tom, also if Jack is going to shoot for CCNA, he will be working with
hardware being CCNA is on the infrastructure side of this business.

--
Slammer
MCSA, CNA, Server+, Net+, iNet+, A+
"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 03:56:01 GMT, "Slammer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Depends on your experience, no experience you better start with A+ to

Net+
> >and then CCNA.

> I've never really understood the idea of the "progression" from A+ to
> Net+. There isn't much overlap, and not much real natural progression
> either. Someone could become quite proficient at networking without
> really knowing much about what's inside the box, couldn't they?
> Whether it is a good idea may be another story...just tossing out an
> idea.
>
> Tom

Jack Barrett

Hi All,

You are making me think more about what I should get next!
A+ looks like a natural progression to Net+.
I have glanced at the CCNA for Dummies book and it appears a little
intimidating to me even with some box building experience.
I have created my own home network(NIC Cards, Crossover Cables, Peripherals,
RAM Modules, Hard Drives, Burners, etc)
So now I am more confused but excited than before =0)
I like that it's ALL a learning process and should help no matter what!

Happy New Year,

Jack Barrett
http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

"Jack Barrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kx5Ib.36764$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to get A+ and CCNA.
> Which one should I pursue first?
> Is A+ an natural progression to CCNA?
> Suggestions? Web Sites?
>
> Thanks,
>
> jack
> http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Slammer

Jack....I think you will find Mike Meyers books sufficient study guides for
A+ and Net+...the CCNA I would look at Cisco Press and Sybex. The dummies
books in my opinion are not detailed enough....Best of Luck.

--
Slammer
MCSA, CNA, Server+, Net+, iNet+, A+
newsTnIb.32544$(E-Mail Removed)...