Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > How to block the MSN port?

How to block the MSN port?

Dilash

One of my customer requested me to block the msn messenger on her computer
which is on a network with another computer. The network is using a Dlink
router which has firewall capabilites. I tried to block the port 80; it
blocks the internet connection, but not the msn messenger. How can I block
the msn messenger. Any ideas?

Dilash.

J.Rivera

Try blocking all acess to network 207.46.0.0/16

If you block TCP/1863 MSN Messenger will use TCP/80 to make a connection
with limited capabilities (no file transfers) .

J.Rivera
CCNP,Net+,A+

"Dilash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TjOGb.14231$d%(E-Mail Removed) ...
> One of my customer requested me to block the msn messenger on her computer
> which is on a network with another computer. The network is using a Dlink
> router which has firewall capabilites. I tried to block the port 80; it
> blocks the internet connection, but not the msn messenger. How can I block
> the msn messenger. Any ideas?
>
> Dilash.

RussS

That would be good, however MSN does not always go to that address range.
The most simple answer is to block that particular application at the
firewall.