Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > How to Block the MSN Messenger Port

How to Block the MSN Messenger Port

Dilash

One of my customer requested me to block the msn messenger on her computer
which is on a network with another computer. The network is using a Dlink
router which has firewall capabilites. I tried to block the port 80; it
blocks the internet connection, but not the msn messenger. How can I block
the msn messenger. Any ideas?

Dilash.

RussS

try 1863

John D Loop

Try this...
http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
homenetworking environments!
www.pccitizen.com

"Dilash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsjOGb.14230$d%(E-Mail Removed) ...
> One of my customer requested me to block the msn messenger on her computer
> which is on a network with another computer. The network is using a Dlink
> router which has firewall capabilites. I tried to block the port 80; it
> blocks the internet connection, but not the msn messenger. How can I block
> the msn messenger. Any ideas?
>
> Dilash.

Chris E

The easiest way is to disable Messenger through Services. You can also try
going to Program Files/Messenger and renaming the file to something else.
Messenger looks to this file at startup and will abort if it cannot find the
file.

Chris
A+, Net+

"Dilash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsjOGb.14230$d%(E-Mail Removed) ...
> One of my customer requested me to block the msn messenger on her computer
> which is on a network with another computer. The network is using a Dlink
> router which has firewall capabilites. I tried to block the port 80; it
> blocks the internet connection, but not the msn messenger. How can I block
> the msn messenger. Any ideas?
>
> Dilash.

Techie

1 out of 3 people actually answered this question right, as always well done
RussS. As for the other two this is about MSN Messenger NOT the Windows
Messenger service they are not the same thing.

"Chris E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> The easiest way is to disable Messenger through Services. You can also

try
> going to Program Files/Messenger and renaming the file to something else.
> Messenger looks to this file at startup and will abort if it cannot find

the
> file.
>
> Chris
> A+, Net+
>
> "Dilash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsjOGb.14230$d%(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > One of my customer requested me to block the msn messenger on her

computer
> > which is on a network with another computer. The network is using a

Dlink
> > router which has firewall capabilites. I tried to block the port 80; it
> > blocks the internet connection, but not the msn messenger. How can I

block
> > the msn messenger. Any ideas?
> >
> > Dilash.

RussS

Hey Techie

I was waiting to see how many people got MSN and Windows messenging mixed up

Chris E

I must start reading the original question everytime I log on. I had
already read it earlier, so I skipped it and read the last reply. My bad.

Chris

"RussS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MA6Hb.41416$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey Techie
>
> I was waiting to see how many people got MSN and Windows messenging mixed

up

RussS

Port 139 aye? How did you figure that?

I think you will find ...
MSN Messenger -1863; ICQ - 5190; Yahoo - 5050; AOL - 5190