Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > CPU higher speed than the mainboard can support.

CPU higher speed than the mainboard can support.

Raymond

I got a adm cpu that has a speed several hundreds mhert highter than the
motherboard than support. Can I still suck the higher speed cpu into socket
A of a motherboard that supports a cpu speed less than it? The motherboard
is amptron and it supports a cpu speed only of a duron 900mhert, but I got a
duron 1.6ghert.

Will my entire pc go smoking if I do that? Or will it work but the cpu will
run at the highest speed the mb can support? Anyone have ever done this?

Thank You.