Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Modem Woes

Re: Modem Woes

AG

"Sujay L. Nazareth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Everyone:
>
> Maybe someone has seen the following problem and offer advice on the same.
>
> Have a client with a 1.7 Ghz Celeron. MSI Motherboard. Onboard A/V/L . 256
> DDR RAM. 56K Lucent Modem & Windows XP Pro.
>
> Client is having an issue with no dial tone. Line is fine. No Splitter
> involved. Phone Cable is fine too. Used different jacks at the client's

site
> and now in my own office and problem persists. Attempted to get it to dial
> without waiting for dial tone, can hear the modem making the sounds like

it'
> s dialing, but it does not actually use the line, just making the sounds.
> Replaced the Modem with and ESS and USR modem and same problem. Did a wipe
> and reload to see if there was an issue with the OS, and the problem
> persists.
>
> Now I have not seen this before. Possible Motherboard problem? Tried to
> re-sit the card in a different PCI slot but that did not work. I did

connect
> a phone into the phone jack of the modem and the line is working. I am at

> loss here..
>
> If anyone can help that would be much appreciated!
>
> Please contact me by e-mail at : http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Removing the
> obvious of course) or reply here....
>
> Thanks!

Ok how about using a phone wire tester. It's a little device that you can
get from a hardware store. It costs about $3.00 or so. It has an idiot
light,not saying you are one, that's just what it's called, that is green
for good line, red for crossed polarity and no light for no power. Sounds
like to me that it's crossed polarity. Many modems won't connect when
polarity is wrong and most phones will work.
AG

David Hough

Sujay, If you have a tip and ring reversal, only an old rotary dial
phone will work. I haven't seen one of those for a while. A touchtone
phone will not work with them reversed

John Coode

You can record a log of the modem's activity which
may give you a clue about what is happening. Look
up "Log and view modem commands" in Help and
Support.
John

natural_4u

Sujay,

Dave Smith might have something. You need to find out which COM port is
being used. You need to change it ! This should take care of the issue. Your
client must have been playing with the settings or something they were doing
had changed the settings. There are several COM ports that you can try....
when you change it try to dial out.... keep trying til you through... one of
those port should work... ok?!

AG

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LVaGb.17644$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> My tester shows that the polarity is reversed (red light) at
> the jack (very common), goes into my switch box and comes out
> green. If I plug in the cable I made with the red and green wires
> reversed on one end from normal, the tester shows that that it
> comes out of the switch box reversed (red light). I guess that
> proves that the switch box doesn't auto sense and correct the
> polarity but simple switches it from jack in to jack out.

It really depends on the modem. I've found some that just wouldn't work
with. One customer in particular had a new line run to their computer and
it wouldn't work with the ISP that I work at. I went out and plugged in my
tester and told them what the problem was. After the phone guy came out and
corrected the problem it worked fine.
BTW it worked fine with my old 33.6 external modem on the same line. I love
that old thing. I can plug it into any computer with a serial port and it
will auto detect and let me check to see if there is a software problem.

AG

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O1aGb.17544$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> > In fact I've just crimped up an RJ11 cable with the red and
> > green wires reversed. No difference, nowhere. I suspect you
> > have things reversed and it's the old phones that won't work!
> >
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:K79Gb.3575$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > > I've never had reversed polarity make any difference. Plug two

> > phone
> > > cables together with a simple coupler so it reverses the polarity. I

> bet
> > > it'll
> > > work for you also!
> > >
> > > "David Hough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> touchtone

Modem woes on x64 =?Utf-8?B?YWxhc3RhaXI=?= Windows 64bit 0 08-18-2005 12:56 PM
dial-up modem woes Paul Gunson NZ Computing 6 03-05-2004 02:27 AM
Re: Modem Woes Geoff A+ Certification 0 12-22-2003 12:48 PM
Re: Modem Woes mhaase-at-springmind.com A+ Certification 1 12-22-2003 04:05 AM
XP Dialup/modem woes bAZZ NZ Computing 8 08-25-2003 08:38 PM

Advertisments