Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > MS DOS question

MS DOS question

melmark

I was wondering why my PC doesnt read the CD Rom And CD Burner in MS Dos. I
have a multi boot system with 2 hard drives. Disk 0 has C: ( win9, E: (win
2000), and F: (Xp Pro). Disk 1 has D: ( data). my Cd Rom is G: and CDRW is
H: . Both CD's have no problem being read in any of the windows OS's. but in
MS Dos I get the message " Invalid Drive Specification" in Drives G: & H:.

Thanks
Mark

Geoff

melmark wrote:
> I was wondering why my PC doesnt read the CD Rom And CD Burner in MS
> Dos. I have a multi boot system with 2 hard drives. Disk 0 has C: (
> win9, E: (win 2000), and F: (Xp Pro). Disk 1 has D: ( data). my Cd
> Rom is G: and CDRW is H: . Both CD's have no problem being read in
> any of the windows OS's. but in MS Dos I get the message " Invalid
> Drive Specification" in Drives G: & H:.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

you need to load a cdrom driver for ms-dos
it'll be a .sys file
go www.bootdisk.com, grab a bootdisk for ms-dos
look at the config.sys and autoexec.bat files
config.sys will have a line that looks like

DEVICE=cdrom.sys /d:cdrom01

autoexec.bat will have a line that looks like

mscdex /d:cdrom01

(text from memory, so syntax is prob not quite right)

don't load up windows with a ms-dos cdrom driver loaded like this, at best
it'll kill the performance of your cdrom, at worse it'll screw windows up

dave hanson

Mark,
You must have mscdex.exe in the root of c: (your harddrive) plus the
best thing to do is get an Atipi dos driver disc and run it.
This will write what is needed in the config.sys to recognize a CD Rom
when booting in dos.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...