Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Which certifications?

Which certifications?

Mike

I have been operating my own PC repair business for about 4 years now, and
had studied for the A+ cert about 3 years ago. I know things have changed a
lot since then as far as the testing goes and im wondering if its
recommended to take a course for A+ somewhere or if self study is still a
viable option.
I should mention that i find it much easier to apply myself in a classroom
and would not be as disciplined to do it at home. I have looked at online
courses for A+ and Net+, but im wondering if i would fall into the same
discipline and distraction issues of being at home.

Im thinking of going for my A+, i-Net+ or Net+, and MCP certifications as
proof of competency for certain clients and for trying to obtain contract
jobs.
I do mostly residential service, upgrades, home networking and some custom
PC builds. So im thinking maybe the i-Net+ along with the A+ and MCP certs
should be sufficient for what im doing.
Im somewhat undecided about whether to go for the i-Net+ or the Net+ cert.
Any thoughts welcomed.

John Dearing

Mike wrote:
> I have been operating my own PC repair business for about 4 years now, and
> had studied for the A+ cert about 3 years ago. I know things have changed a
> lot since then as far as the testing goes and im wondering if its
> recommended to take a course for A+ somewhere or if self study is still a
> viable option.

Since you already have 4 years of "hands-on" experience, I rather doubt
that you have all that much more to add to be ready for the 2003 A+ exam
objectives.

> I should mention that i find it much easier to apply myself in a classroom
> and would not be as disciplined to do it at home. I have looked at online
> courses for A+ and Net+, but im wondering if i would fall into the same
> discipline and distraction issues of being at home.
>
> Im thinking of going for my A+, i-Net+ or Net+, and MCP certifications as
> proof of competency for certain clients and for trying to obtain contract
> jobs.
> I do mostly residential service, upgrades, home networking and some custom
> PC builds. So im thinking maybe the i-Net+ along with the A+ and MCP certs
> should be sufficient for what im doing.
> Im somewhat undecided about whether to go for the i-Net+ or the Net+ cert.
> Any thoughts welcomed.

Not to denigrate the i-Net+ certification, but an A+ and either Net+ or
Server+ will be accepted by Microsoft toward an MCSA certification.

Server+ is heavy duty on hardware and "best practice" administration
practices. Unless you have the experience, Server+ can be a very
challenging exam.

Check out the Comptia and Microsoft websites for more information.

Cheers!

John
--
John Dearing