Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > windows 2000 server & active directory domains help

windows 2000 server & active directory domains help

fros

Can you advise me whether to go with 2000pro or 2000 server or NT4...... &
how to implement the ActiveDirectoryDomains considering the scenario
below.

I have been asked by my wife (a high school math/computer teacher) to help
her network an assortment of donated windows machines in their small
computer lab classroom.

I'll see that there is an NIC card & driver in each computer and use
standard cat 5 to cable them to a hub with sufficient ports (presently there
are about 8 computers but they may expand in the future to maybe 15). Then
bind them to the recommended protocol/s - Tcp/ip and Netbeui or ..? Client
for MS
Networks & File & Printer sharing.

Problem is they dont want a simple peer to peer because the kids mess with
all the settings and leave the hd in a jumble. It's out of control.
Ideally the teacher has full control:
-To provide/prohibit access at each workstation.
-To determine which programs are accessed, launched and run.
- To prohibit the kids from altering settings (in the control panel etc) and
other files/folders on their hard drive
-To clean & restore the drive when the day is done (perhaps this could be
done with Ghost or Driveimage from the server ?)
- To control where the students can save their data files

The way I'm beginning to see it unfold is to have a "group" for each class
e.g. Grade 10, Grade 11 etc.
And provide a "username /password" for each student in each group. Which can
be changed as students may join or leave the class. Or if the teacher
doesn't want a particular student to have access any longer

At this time, Internet access is not a priority. Although I'd prefer to
incorporate it into the planning. Not sure how,but maybe from the hub to a
standalone router which will be connected to the telephone or cable feed
into the building. Or put a second NIC card in the server connected to a
router?

Any help with the best OS to use and how to go about setting up these
controls please.

Thank you for your anticipated assistance,
Frank

Geoff

> Any help with the best OS to use and how to go about setting up these
> controls please.

nt4 or win2k will do this lot easy
if you where made to run win9x, then it gets messy....

hootnholler

Hey fros,

Been watching your postings on this, and first, want to congratulate you on
your endeavor. It's great that you wish to help out your wife and the kids,
as well.

I'm by no means a genius on this stuff, but my suggestion would be 2000
Server. Just finished a class on it, and have to say, when you install, has
a lot of options and wizards for helping with the AD stuff. Just get a good
idea of what type of network you wish to run, and go through the wizards. I
setup a dhcp and dns for the class in literally, about a half hour. Never
did it before, just figured it out.

The main thing, to start, keep it off the net. Start with a LAN, and have
the system use DNS for the other machines. Make sure Tcp/Ip is bound to the
NIC, and the other machines are setup to obtain ip address auto (with
tcp/ip), and use the server machine's ip address for the DNS. Also make sure
that they have the same workgroup name. You all ready figured out part of
it, make sure file and print sharing is enabled on all machines.

As to the kiddies playing with settings, well, curiosity killed the cat.
They shouldn't be able to access the server machine, but try using 2k pro on
the other machines, and setup their user accounts on the server machine.
This way, they will have to log on to the network for the ip address
(through DNS on the server machine), and you can disable them being able to
access the control panel on each seperate machine. It will involve some
sneaker work on your end, but probably the best setup. Keep the main
programs on the Server machine, give them all read access, don't give them
write access. If the time comes, your wife can easily change that through
the administrative tools on the server, if needed. Just setup all the kid's
accounts in a group, make it a lot easier to change on her end, if needed.

As far as a 'rollback' feature, that may be tough, but if you keep the main
programs on the server, and only allow them to use those as needed, you will
save a ton of headache. If needed, get a windows 2000 server and pro MCSA
text, and read from there. That way, if you get stuck, they make great