Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Anti virus/ firewall protection check

Anti virus/ firewall protection check

Walter

Hi,
My brother would like to have his internet security settings checked by
getting people to send him known and unknown nasties. Either Virii or
malware trojans etc
How can he acheive this?

Ed Medlin

I think you can get those settings checked at www.pcpitstop.com

Ed
"Walter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F9ZDb.24960$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My brother would like to have his internet security settings checked by
> getting people to send him known and unknown nasties. Either Virii or
> malware trojans etc
> How can he acheive this?

---

Glyn Grinstead

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.comp.homebuilt]

On 2003-12-17, Walter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My brother would like to have his internet security settings checked by
> getting people to send him known and unknown nasties. Either Virii or
> malware trojans etc
> How can he acheive this?

Sending "live" viruses and the like is, obviously, dangerous - especially
if requested through unverifiable mediums like usenet To allow for
the testing of anti-virus systems there is a standard test file which is
identified by anti-virus software as a virus, even though the file is
harmless.

You can download the file here:
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Glyn.

Rob Morley

In article <F9ZDb.24960$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Walter" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi,
> My brother would like to have his internet security settings checked by
> getting people to send him known and unknown nasties. Either Virii or
> malware trojans etc
> How can he acheive this?

Just create a throwaway email address, place it on a few websites and
use it as a usenet posting address while trolling alt.2600.hackers and
alt.comp.virus. It will soon start to gather all sorts of rubbish.

~misfit~

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <F9ZDb.24960$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Walter" (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi,
>> My brother would like to have his internet security settings checked
>> by getting people to send him known and unknown nasties. Either
>> Virii or malware trojans etc
>> How can he acheive this?
>>

> Just create a throwaway email address, place it on a few websites and
> use it as a usenet posting address while trolling alt.2600.hackers and
> alt.comp.virus. It will soon start to gather all sorts of rubbish.

LOL. That's the best answer yet. Call 'em all a bunch of wankers who
couldn't damage a system with a sledge-hammer. Then be prepared to re-format
and re-install.
--
~misfit~