Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Drive Image/Ghost - file size? Store where?

Drive Image/Ghost - file size? Store where?

jt

Greetings all:

I'm in the process of getting Drive Image and/or Ghost and haven't used
either yet, but I'm wondering where/how you store an image. Say you go to a
client's house and they have a 100GB hard drive that's nearly full of
applications, games, photos, etc, and you make an image of it. I'm assuming
you end up with a compressed file. But even at 10:1 compression, that would
still be a 10GB file. Where would you suggest storing it - somewhere on his
drive? Or, somehow temporarily transfer it to your laptop/system?
thanks,
Cheers,
jt
(to send to my email, remove .xyz)

John Loop

Ideally you would like it to be on another drive - stick one in there if
there is room.
Otherwise, install partition magic and shrink the existing partition to make
room for a 10GB "Image" partition.
John
--
www.pccitizen.com Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips.

"jt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C62Eb.72326$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Greetings all:
>
> I'm in the process of getting Drive Image and/or Ghost and haven't used
> either yet, but I'm wondering where/how you store an image. Say you go to

> client's house and they have a 100GB hard drive that's nearly full of
> applications, games, photos, etc, and you make an image of it. I'm

assuming
> you end up with a compressed file. But even at 10:1 compression, that

would
> still be a 10GB file. Where would you suggest storing it - somewhere on

his
> drive? Or, somehow temporarily transfer it to your laptop/system?
> thanks,
> Cheers,
> jt
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (to send to my email, remove .xyz)

jt

Sounds like its going to be a bigger file than I thought, and that putting
the image on a seperate drive and/or PM is the way to go. Thanks to everyone
for their comments!

Cheers,
jt