Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > quick & easy drive image please?

quick & easy drive image please?

fros

Say you arrive at a customers house, his machine's a mess, and you want to
make a quick drive image of his system before you start tinkering under the
hood. Never know what you're going to find or what's ggoing to happen next -
right ? You may need to restore it to the way it was?
What would you install for ease of use and ease of restore - Drive Image (4
or 5) or Ghost (8 or 2003) or something else ?
thanks

--
newsgroups signature

fros

> Say you arrive at a customers house, his machine's a mess, and you want

> make a quick drive image of his system before you start tinkering under

the
> hood. Never know what you're going to find or what's ggoing to happen

next -
> right ? You may need to restore it to the way it was?
> What would you install for ease of use and ease of restore - Drive Image

(4
> or 5) or Ghost (8 or 2003) or something else ?

===============
Some research tells me drive image is a little more user friendly and does
the job well and that Ghost has more features, particiularly network
options, and does the job equally well. I read further that DI is probably
better for the home or single machine setup and Ghost better for the IT pro
or business setup.
Do you agree?

> --
> newsgroups signature

John D Loop

I agree. Drive image is a saviour! I might run an antivirus and a spyware
remover in front of the customer before I saved an image. Maybe even a
registry clean.
I have never exprienced those tools killing a PC.
Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
homenetworking environments!
www.pccitizen.com

"fros" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O6MDb.6125$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> > Say you arrive at a customers house, his machine's a mess, and you want

> > make a quick drive image of his system before you start tinkering under

> the
> > hood. Never know what you're going to find or what's ggoing to happen

> next -
> > right ? You may need to restore it to the way it was?
> > What would you install for ease of use and ease of restore - Drive Image

> (4
> > or 5) or Ghost (8 or 2003) or something else ?

> ===============
> Some research tells me drive image is a little more user friendly and does
> the job well and that Ghost has more features, particiularly network
> options, and does the job equally well. I read further that DI is probably
> better for the home or single machine setup and Ghost better for the IT

pro
> or business setup.
> Do you agree?
> >
> > --
> > newsgroups signature

fros

Great site.! I'll be reading many of the articles trying to teach myself.

> I agree. Drive image is a saviour! I might run an antivirus and a spyware
> remover in front of the customer before I saved an image. Maybe even a
> registry clean.
> I have never exprienced those tools killing a PC.
> Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and

wireless
> homenetworking environments!
> www.pccitizen.com
>
> "fros" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O6MDb.6125$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >
> > > Say you arrive at a customers house, his machine's a mess, and you

want
> > > make a quick drive image of his system before you start tinkering

under
> > the
> > > hood. Never know what you're going to find or what's ggoing to happen

> > next -
> > > right ? You may need to restore it to the way it was?
> > > What would you install for ease of use and ease of restore - Drive

Image
> > (4
> > > or 5) or Ghost (8 or 2003) or something else ?

> > ===============
> > Some research tells me drive image is a little more user friendly and

does
> > the job well and that Ghost has more features, particiularly network
> > options, and does the job equally well. I read further that DI is

probably
> > better for the home or single machine setup and Ghost better for the IT

> pro
> > or business setup.
> > Do you agree?
> > >
> > > --
> > > newsgroups signature

John Loop

I did see that, and I wonder how the merge will turn out.
I bought driveimage 7, and am not quite as comfortable with it as with
driveimage 2002.
I see Checkpoint bought zone labs also.
Two very important tools are getting absorbed by big companies.
This doesn't usually bode well....
John

--
www.pccitizen.com Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Symantec has purchased PowerQuest, so expect to see Ghost and Drive
> image merged, or one completely replaced by the other, or something
> along those lines. Definitely buy the current versions, the last
> non-Symantec versions, of both Partition Magic and Drive Image, the next
> version, on top of everything else, will probably have product activation.
>

> fros wrote:
>
> >>Say you arrive at a customers house, his machine's a mess, and you want

> >>make a quick drive image of his system before you start tinkering under

> > the
> >
> >>hood. Never know what you're going to find or what's ggoing to happen

> > next -
> >
> >>right ? You may need to restore it to the way it was?
> >>What would you install for ease of use and ease of restore - Drive Image

> > (4
> >
> >>or 5) or Ghost (8 or 2003) or something else ?

> > ===============
> > Some research tells me drive image is a little more user friendly and

does
> > the job well and that Ghost has more features, particiularly network
> > options, and does the job equally well. I read further that DI is

probably
> > better for the home or single machine setup and Ghost better for the IT

pro
> > or business setup.
> > Do you agree?
> >
> >>--
> >>newsgroups signature

Huck Palmatier

"John D Loop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vzNDb.8906$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I agree. Drive image is a saviour! I might run an antivirus and a spyware
> remover in front of the customer before I saved an image. Maybe even a
> registry clean.
> I have never exprienced those tools killing a PC.
> Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and

wireless
> homenetworking environments!
> www.pccitizen.com
>
> "fros" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O6MDb.6125$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >
> > > Say you arrive at a customers house, his machine's a mess, and you

want
> > > make a quick drive image of his system before you start tinkering

under
> > the
> > > hood. Never know what you're going to find or what's ggoing to happen

> > next -
> > > right ? You may need to restore it to the way it was?
> > > What would you install for ease of use and ease of restore - Drive

Image
> > (4
> > > or 5) or Ghost (8 or 2003) or something else ?

> > ===============
> > Some research tells me drive image is a little more user friendly and

does
> > the job well and that Ghost has more features, particiularly network
> > options, and does the job equally well. I read further that DI is

probably
> > better for the home or single machine setup and Ghost better for the IT

> pro
> > or business setup.
> > Do you agree?
> > >
> > > --
> > > newsgroups signature

Adding quick-release to a non-quick-release tripod head ste7esmith@hotmail.com Digital Photography 4 11-20-2006 03:19 PM
Quick question, hopefully quick answer. ~misfit~ NZ Computing 114 01-06-2005 01:36 PM
Quick Question Quick Answer JKop C++ 11 05-24-2004 09:46 PM
Quick Restore for a Compaq not so quick! Croos Bustamunky Computer Support 2 05-15-2004 04:17 AM
PanasonicBQ390 "quick" charger - How quick? Ol' Bab Digital Photography 1 01-17-2004 06:54 AM

Advertisments