Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Help Making Decision

Help Making Decision

Raymond

I friend of mine is giving away a PC to me, but he has two PCs in which I
can choose. And I want a PC that can handle pretty tough 3D graphic in
games because it is what I am going to use that PC for: Games playing. The
twos PC choices are:

1) Intel celeron Processor 2.5g hert with VIA motherboard, 256 DDR PC 2700
Ram, And 10g hard drive. This Pc is brand new.

2) Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.0g hert with Tyan motherboard. The
motherboard has duel processors but only one Intel pentium 3 processor is
installed. This pc has 1g PC 133 ram and a 12 g hard drive. This PC has
been used for awhile.

I want to use the chosen PC for games such as counter strike and battlefield
1942. I check the minimum hardware requirements for Battle 1942 which
require a PIII processor with 500Mhert. My question is that would a celeron
2.5 g hert is equal to the processing power of PIII with 500mhert? I heard
that celeron cannot handle 3d or tough graphic pretty well. Is this true?

Please help me choose bachelor #1 or bachelor # 2! hehehehehe.

Thank You.

Danny Kile

Raymond wrote:
> I friend of mine is giving away a PC to me, but he has two PCs in which I
> can choose. And I want a PC that can handle pretty tough 3D graphic in
> games because it is what I am going to use that PC for: Games playing. The
> twos PC choices are:
>
> 1) Intel celeron Processor 2.5g hert with VIA motherboard, 256 DDR PC 2700
> Ram, And 10g hard drive. This Pc is brand new.
>
> 2) Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.0g hert with Tyan motherboard. The
> motherboard has duel processors but only one Intel pentium 3 processor is
> installed. This pc has 1g PC 133 ram and a 12 g hard drive. This PC has
> been used for awhile.
>
> I want to use the chosen PC for games such as counter strike and battlefield
> 1942. I check the minimum hardware requirements for Battle 1942 which
> require a PIII processor with 500Mhert. My question is that would a celeron
> 2.5 g hert is equal to the processing power of PIII with 500mhert? I heard
> that celeron cannot handle 3d or tough graphic pretty well. Is this true?
>
> Please help me choose bachelor #1 or bachelor # 2! hehehehehe.
>
> Thank You.

I personally would chose bachelor #2. The P3 is a better processor than
the Celeron. And with 4 time the memory that is where the real boost
will come in. Plus the extra 2GB hard drive space will not hurt. That is
my 2 cents worth.

--
Danny Kile
Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

"Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
you." Mary Bly

Ghost

In article <tytDb.1714$(E-Mail Removed)>, Danny Kile
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Raymond wrote:
> > I friend of mine is giving away a PC to me, but he has two PCs in which I
> > can choose. And I want a PC that can handle pretty tough 3D graphic in
> > games because it is what I am going to use that PC for: Games playing. The
> > twos PC choices are:
> >
> > 1) Intel celeron Processor 2.5g hert with VIA motherboard, 256 DDR PC 2700
> > Ram, And 10g hard drive. This Pc is brand new.
> >
> > 2) Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.0g hert with Tyan motherboard. The
> > motherboard has duel processors but only one Intel pentium 3 processor is
> > installed. This pc has 1g PC 133 ram and a 12 g hard drive. This PC has
> > been used for awhile.
> >
> > I want to use the chosen PC for games such as counter strike and battlefield
> > 1942. I check the minimum hardware requirements for Battle 1942 which
> > require a PIII processor with 500Mhert. My question is that would a celeron
> > 2.5 g hert is equal to the processing power of PIII with 500mhert? I heard
> > that celeron cannot handle 3d or tough graphic pretty well. Is this true?
> >
> > Please help me choose bachelor #1 or bachelor # 2! hehehehehe.
> >
> > Thank You.
> >

> I personally would chose bachelor #2. The P3 is a better processor than
> the Celeron. And with 4 time the memory that is where the real boost
> will come in. Plus the extra 2GB hard drive space will not hurt. That is
> my 2 cents worth.

Well, yes, to a point... however, if you plan on going dual chips, you
will need to buy 2 more CPUs since it is highly unlikely you will be able
to find an exact match for the existing chip. Dual chips have to be
identical- right down to the lot numbers.

Frederic

I've been able to compare PIII 600Mhz and celeron 1.2 Ghz and celeron was
faster. Newest celeron are based on PIV technology wich is better than
PIII's. Don't forget that system bus speed is always the bottleneck and with
the newest celeron you can have a 400Mhz system bus which is very impressive
compared to 100Mhz for PIII. RAM is great but nowadays it's not that
expensive.

http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...eron/index.htm
http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...rs/pentiumIII/

Tom's hardware published a benchmark and you'll see that celeron 2.5ghz is
better than PIII
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/index.html

--
Frederic
MCP, IT Project+, i-Net+, CIWA, A+

"Danny Kile" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tytDb.1714$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Raymond wrote:
> > I friend of mine is giving away a PC to me, but he has two PCs in which

> > can choose. And I want a PC that can handle pretty tough 3D graphic in
> > games because it is what I am going to use that PC for: Games playing.

The
> > twos PC choices are:
> >
> > 1) Intel celeron Processor 2.5g hert with VIA motherboard, 256 DDR PC

2700
> > Ram, And 10g hard drive. This Pc is brand new.
> >
> > 2) Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.0g hert with Tyan motherboard. The
> > motherboard has duel processors but only one Intel pentium 3 processor

is
> > installed. This pc has 1g PC 133 ram and a 12 g hard drive. This PC

has
> > been used for awhile.
> >
> > I want to use the chosen PC for games such as counter strike and

battlefield
> > 1942. I check the minimum hardware requirements for Battle 1942 which
> > require a PIII processor with 500Mhert. My question is that would a

celeron
> > 2.5 g hert is equal to the processing power of PIII with 500mhert? I

heard
> > that celeron cannot handle 3d or tough graphic pretty well. Is this

true?

> > Please help me choose bachelor #1 or bachelor # 2! hehehehehe.
> >
> > Thank You.
> >

> I personally would chose bachelor #2. The P3 is a better processor than
> the Celeron. And with 4 time the memory that is where the real boost
> will come in. Plus the extra 2GB hard drive space will not hurt. That is
> my 2 cents worth.
>
> --
> Danny Kile
> Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
>
> "Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
> you." Mary Bly

Danny Kile

Ghost wrote:

> In article <tytDb.1714$(E-Mail Removed)>, Danny Kile
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Raymond wrote:
>>
>>>I friend of mine is giving away a PC to me, but he has two PCs in which I
>>>can choose. And I want a PC that can handle pretty tough 3D graphic in
>>>games because it is what I am going to use that PC for: Games playing. The
>>>twos PC choices are:
>>>
>>>1) Intel celeron Processor 2.5g hert with VIA motherboard, 256 DDR PC 2700
>>>Ram, And 10g hard drive. This Pc is brand new.
>>>
>>>2) Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.0g hert with Tyan motherboard. The
>>>motherboard has duel processors but only one Intel pentium 3 processor is
>>>installed. This pc has 1g PC 133 ram and a 12 g hard drive. This PC has
>>>been used for awhile.
>>>
>>>I want to use the chosen PC for games such as counter strike and battlefield
>>>1942. I check the minimum hardware requirements for Battle 1942 which
>>>require a PIII processor with 500Mhert. My question is that would a celeron
>>>2.5 g hert is equal to the processing power of PIII with 500mhert? I heard
>>>that celeron cannot handle 3d or tough graphic pretty well. Is this true?
>>>
>>>Please help me choose bachelor #1 or bachelor # 2! hehehehehe.
>>>
>>>Thank You.
>>>

>>I personally would chose bachelor #2. The P3 is a better processor than
>>the Celeron. And with 4 time the memory that is where the real boost
>>will come in. Plus the extra 2GB hard drive space will not hurt. That is
>>my 2 cents worth.

> Well, yes, to a point... however, if you plan on going dual chips, you
> will need to buy 2 more CPUs since it is highly unlikely you will be able
> to find an exact match for the existing chip. Dual chips have to be
> identical- right down to the lot numbers.

Even without the dual chips, bachelor #2 it a better hunk that bachelor
#1. Sort-to-speak.

--
Danny Kile
Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

"Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
you." Mary Bly

Ghost

In article <oauDb.466$(E-Mail Removed)>, Danny Kile
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ghost wrote:
>
> > In article <tytDb.1714$(E-Mail Removed)>, Danny Kile
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

battlefield

celeron

> >>I personally would chose bachelor #2. The P3 is a better processor than
> >>the Celeron. And with 4 time the memory that is where the real boost
> >>will come in. Plus the extra 2GB hard drive space will not hurt. That is
> >>my 2 cents worth.

> > Well, yes, to a point... however, if you plan on going dual chips, you
> > will need to buy 2 more CPUs since it is highly unlikely you will be able
> > to find an exact match for the existing chip. Dual chips have to be
> > identical- right down to the lot numbers.

> Even without the dual chips, bachelor #2 it a better hunk that bachelor
> #1. Sort-to-speak.

ya know.. I do not know if I can agree... or if I can disagree... True
the P3 is a Pentium, but the Celeron is 2.5GHz vs 1GHz. True, #2 has a
gig of RAM, but the RAM in #1 is DDR which is considerably faster (and DDR
is cheap right now).. The difference between a 12GB HDD and a 10GB HDD is
negligible.

What about the mobos- do either have on board video or an AGP video card
(I prefer a seperate video card for sure)

I think if I were to choose, I would go with system #1, unless it had on
board video and #2 had a video card..

This is going to be one of those things where we can all argue ad nauseum
over the details, with nobody being really "right". It will only be
opinions.

hootnholler

Hey Ray,

Just to throw my $.02 into the ring...

I would take the first pc. With what information you have given, that would
be my reaction, but of course, there are some caveats...

As Barry mentioned, the 2.5 is quite a performance jump over the 1 gig p3.
Even with the lesser L2 cache, the celery should have an edge over the p3 in
almost everything. Plus, as another user posted, the bus speeds (RAM) is
what usually bottlenecks systems on gaming. Plus, the Tyan is an awesome
board, but for gaming, may not notice that big of an increase. Most games
do not take advantage of the hyperthreading of dual processors. Granted,
the games you mentioned are very new, and they may use it, but I would think
not, without some form of patch with the new 64 bit processors.

If the celery is using onboard sound or video, fix that right away. You
should be able to play either game that you mentioned natively on that
system, but anything onboard is really going to slow that machine down. If
you are using the cpu to decode sounds, or render graphics, the lack of
cache is going to hurt you, tremendously. If you are able to disable the
onboard, and add some extra hardware, that would be a decent gaming system.
You won't see 300 fps in high res, but you could probably push the 100 fps
envelope. Try an ATI 9600 XT (about $200) and a good sound card, like the
audigy (1, not 2, for about $100). You'll notice a HUGE difference.

Hoot

"Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I friend of mine is giving away a PC to me, but he has two PCs in which I
> can choose. And I want a PC that can handle pretty tough 3D graphic in
> games because it is what I am going to use that PC for: Games playing.

The
> twos PC choices are:
>
> 1) Intel celeron Processor 2.5g hert with VIA motherboard, 256 DDR PC 2700
> Ram, And 10g hard drive. This Pc is brand new.
>
> 2) Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.0g hert with Tyan motherboard. The
> motherboard has duel processors but only one Intel pentium 3 processor is
> installed. This pc has 1g PC 133 ram and a 12 g hard drive. This PC has
> been used for awhile.
>
> I want to use the chosen PC for games such as counter strike and

battlefield
> 1942. I check the minimum hardware requirements for Battle 1942 which
> require a PIII processor with 500Mhert. My question is that would a

celeron
> 2.5 g hert is equal to the processing power of PIII with 500mhert? I

heard
> that celeron cannot handle 3d or tough graphic pretty well. Is this true?
>
> Please help me choose bachelor #1 or bachelor # 2! hehehehehe.
>
> Thank You.

Raymond

Try an ATI 9600 XT (about $200) and a good sound card, like the
audigy (1, not 2, for about $100). You'll notice a HUGE difference.

Thank You all very much. By the way, bachelor number 1 and 2 do not have
built in video card. They both have a ATI Radeon 8500 LE 64 Mg video card.
The P3 does not have audio built in neither.

Thanks again

Tony

Celerons are crap. Stay away, especially if you need power for gaming.
I wouldnt take the celeron for free. Go with the P3.

Tony

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:39:59 -0600, "Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I friend of mine is giving away a PC to me, but he has two PCs in which I
>can choose. And I want a PC that can handle pretty tough 3D graphic in
>games because it is what I am going to use that PC for: Games playing. The
>twos PC choices are:
>
>1) Intel celeron Processor 2.5g hert with VIA motherboard, 256 DDR PC 2700
>Ram, And 10g hard drive. This Pc is brand new.
>
>2) Intel Pentium 3 Processor 1.0g hert with Tyan motherboard. The
>motherboard has duel processors but only one Intel pentium 3 processor is
>installed. This pc has 1g PC 133 ram and a 12 g hard drive. This PC has
>been used for awhile.
>
>I want to use the chosen PC for games such as counter strike and battlefield
>1942. I check the minimum hardware requirements for Battle 1942 which
>require a PIII processor with 500Mhert. My question is that would a celeron
>2.5 g hert is equal to the processing power of PIII with 500mhert? I heard
>that celeron cannot handle 3d or tough graphic pretty well. Is this true?
>
>Please help me choose bachelor #1 or bachelor # 2! hehehehehe.
>
>Thank You.

Raymond

You don't know what you are talking about. A Celeron is just a P3 or P4
(depending on the clock speed) with a slightly different and smaller
cache system. Fundamentally, it's the same CPU, and the performance
difference between a Celeron and the P3 or P4 chip that it's based on is
in the area of 15% to 20%, for which you get a cost reduction of
typically more than 50%.

I can get both systems if I can fix two of my server machines and give them
to the guy that gives me the celeron and P3 for free. He wants my P2 server
machine. However, I got these two P2 server machines from someone people
that got these server machines infected or hacked into with a virus on their
hard drive. I do a scan and found the infect files. I quarantined, then
went ahead and format the hard drive of the P2 server altogether. Then, I
tried to install xp os from the cdrom, boot from cdrom, it won't boot from
the cdrom. Instead, it just keeps restart to the ram count sreen. I tried
to boot from the floppy, attempting to use fdisk. It won't work either. It
just keeps restart to the ram count screen and keeps restart, and restart
forever. Anyone know how to fix this? I got only 12 hours to get the P2
fixed and give them to the guy. Otherwise, I can only get one free P4
celeron or a P3..