Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > software utility toolkit list please?

software utility toolkit list please?

fg

although I am not A+ certified, I do get called by folks in my local
community to troubleshoot and fix their systems - usually it is a slow
retrieval/operationand could just use defragmenting, or they have
email/internet problems and I just have to reset their smtp or pop server
names.
I also often clean up temp files and other jusk with either JV16 Power Tools
and/or EasyCleaner (both are free). I have my own CD of Norton Utilities
which is useful for a quick Win Doctor check up and I can then uninstall it.
Sometimes I'll use it for Speed Disk (defragging) too. I also use Ad-aware
to seek and destroy spyware.
Sometimes someone cant even describe the problem to me - just says my system
is sooooo sloww and I think it has a virus (but they dont have an updated
anti virus and now cant get online ....and so on......or computer cant
shut down...
Question is - I'd like to increase my arsenal of utilities to deal with more
soft and hardware symptoms and woud love to hear from you folks what tools
you use (with links if possible) to enable diagnosis and repair on site.
tia
Frank

jt

Hi Frank,

I and many others have had the same questions. What I did was I went into
google/groups and did various searches on "utilities", "diagnostics used",
etc. There's a bunch of threads over the last few years with many folks
putting in their ideas and favorites. My current list is (many are free and
also have $-versions with more options):
Doc Memory
TuffTest
Hard drive diag's (from Maxtor, Western Digital, etc)
Powermax
Key Finder
Reg Clean
AIDA 32
PKZip
F-Prot
RNAV
SymClean
Adobe Acrobat
AdAware
Spybot
Partion Magic
Ghost and/or Drive Image
Lost and Found
NAV
AVG
PopUpStopper

And I'm still adding to this. Sorry I don't currently have the links to
them. Some of the previous threads had the links. And you can just do a
google search on these names to locate them. (spellings may not be exactly
correct on some of them....

Hope that helps. Good luck!

cheers
jt
A+

"fg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TgsBb.1998$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> although I am not A+ certified, I do get called by folks in my local
> community to troubleshoot and fix their systems - usually it is a slow
> retrieval/operationand could just use defragmenting, or they have
> email/internet problems and I just have to reset their smtp or pop server
> names.
> I also often clean up temp files and other jusk with either JV16 Power

Tools
> and/or EasyCleaner (both are free). I have my own CD of Norton Utilities
> which is useful for a quick Win Doctor check up and I can then uninstall

it.
> Sometimes I'll use it for Speed Disk (defragging) too. I also use Ad-aware
> to seek and destroy spyware.
> Sometimes someone cant even describe the problem to me - just says my

system
> is sooooo sloww and I think it has a virus (but they dont have an updated
> anti virus and now cant get online ....and so on......or computer cant
> shut down...
> Question is - I'd like to increase my arsenal of utilities to deal with

more
> soft and hardware symptoms and woud love to hear from you folks what tools
> you use (with links if possible) to enable diagnosis and repair on site.
> tia
> Frank

fros

thanks for these jt

--
newsgroups signature
"jt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsN0Eb.72306$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> [...]

> > which is useful for a quick Win Doctor check up and I can then uninstall

> it.
> > Sometimes I'll use it for Speed Disk (defragging) too. I also use

Ad-aware
> > to seek and destroy spyware.
> > Sometimes someone cant even describe the problem to me - just says my

> system
> > is sooooo sloww and I think it has a virus (but they dont have an

updated
> > anti virus and now cant get online ....and so on......or computer cant
> > shut down...
> > Question is - I'd like to increase my arsenal of utilities to deal with

> more
> > soft and hardware symptoms and woud love to hear from you folks what

tools
> > you use (with links if possible) to enable diagnosis and repair on site.

hootnholler

JT, quite an impressive list! Even saw a few that I'll have to give a go.

Just a quick addition, keep some of the bootup floppies on hand, just in
case. Plus, I like to have a 'multi-os' cd, for the 9x versions. Makes
installation go a lot smoother. Just copy the cabs off the cd to the hard
drive, and away you go.

One that I stumbled on, you all may find of interest, think I posted this
earlier... To make a XP bootdisk: Need blank formatted floppy, put into
drive. Open windows explorer, go to C: drive. If you are warned of hidden
files, go to tools/folder options, click on view tab, make sure 'show hidden
files and folders' is selected.
Uncheck 'hide protected operating system files', then yes, then ok.
Next, copy boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr to your floppy. Then you are
ready to place floppy in drive and reboot.

Sorry for the simplification, it's for a chat room I'm in.

Hoot

news:BAiEb.16504$(E-Mail Removed) ...