Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Some kind of virus??

Some kind of virus??

BodoDin

First of all, I'm running windows xp pro, I've been using the computer
for quite awhile and havn't had any problems. Recently, I've had a
problem with some kind of "virus." When I start windows, I can get
to the welcome/logon screen, and can log in, but when explorer goes
to load, it doesn't! Going to task manager, it shows explorer.exe
running, but the desktop is there but no icons, menu tray, or any of
the windows commands work. I can "end task" explorer.exe and then
"run new task" it, and everything works fine. But, when I'm using
the computer, a random pop-up comes up entitled "Project1" and it has
a little message saying "it's time." I've run the lastest version of
ad-aware and spybot-sd1.2, full system scan with norton anti-virus
2003 pro all updated, and picked up some things, but it hasn't solved
this problem. I've looked on the net for info but I can't really
find anything on it. Maybe if I do a windows repair?? I'm kinda
clueless at this point and would appreciate anyones help. I've found
a forum with someone describing something about this kind of problem,
but it doesn't really fix anything.
http://www.mcse.ms/message113808.html
Thanks in advance for any help,
-Andy
==============

R.A.D.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...or.trojan.html
"BodoDin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First of all, I'm running windows xp pro, I've been using the computer
> for quite awhile and havn't had any problems. Recently, I've had a
> problem with some kind of "virus." When I start windows, I can get
> to the welcome/logon screen, and can log in, but when explorer goes
> to load, it doesn't! Going to task manager, it shows explorer.exe
> running, but the desktop is there but no icons, menu tray, or any of
> the windows commands work. I can "end task" explorer.exe and then
> "run new task" it, and everything works fine. But, when I'm using
> the computer, a random pop-up comes up entitled "Project1" and it has
> a little message saying "it's time." I've run the lastest version of
> ad-aware and spybot-sd1.2, full system scan with norton anti-virus
> 2003 pro all updated, and picked up some things, but it hasn't solved
> this problem. I've looked on the net for info but I can't really
> find anything on it. Maybe if I do a windows repair?? I'm kinda
> clueless at this point and would appreciate anyones help. I've found
> a forum with someone describing something about this kind of problem,
> but it doesn't really fix anything.
> http://www.mcse.ms/message113808.html
> Thanks in advance for any help,
> -Andy
> ==============
> For this group's frequently asked questions, check out www.CertFAQ.com

hootnholler

I'm not sure if this ties in or not, but it sounds like some sort of visual
basic file is trying to startup on system start (project 1). Have you been
doing some vb work lately?

"BodoDin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First of all, I'm running windows xp pro, I've been using the computer
> for quite awhile and havn't had any problems. Recently, I've had a
> problem with some kind of "virus." When I start windows, I can get
> to the welcome/logon screen, and can log in, but when explorer goes
> to load, it doesn't! Going to task manager, it shows explorer.exe
> running, but the desktop is there but no icons, menu tray, or any of
> the windows commands work. I can "end task" explorer.exe and then
> "run new task" it, and everything works fine. But, when I'm using
> the computer, a random pop-up comes up entitled "Project1" and it has
> a little message saying "it's time." I've run the lastest version of
> ad-aware and spybot-sd1.2, full system scan with norton anti-virus
> 2003 pro all updated, and picked up some things, but it hasn't solved
> this problem. I've looked on the net for info but I can't really
> find anything on it. Maybe if I do a windows repair?? I'm kinda
> clueless at this point and would appreciate anyones help. I've found
> a forum with someone describing something about this kind of problem,
> but it doesn't really fix anything.
> http://www.mcse.ms/message113808.html
> Thanks in advance for any help,
> -Andy
> ==============
> For this group's frequently asked questions, check out www.CertFAQ.com

MF

I checked the forum you referenced, and it seems to have the answer.
When windows runs, search for those files mentioned in the forum and
delete them.
if they won't delete from windows, write down their locations (the
directories they're in) then clik start, then run, then type cmd and
hit enter. in the command prompt window, navigate to the directories
those files are in and then type "del filename" without the quotes
where filename is the complete name of the file you want to delete.

Now, go to your windows directory and check all the user folders,
documents and settings, start menu, programs, startup and look for
anything with the names of the nasty files. delete them.

now run regedit. in the edit menu click find or search and search for
"run" without the quotes. when it finds the entries for run, look in
the value column and if you see references to the files in question,
delete them. If you are nervous about deleting things in the registry,
back it up first. Also, you can simply rename the file references
rather than deleting them.

That done, run the search again, this time looking for any references
to each of the file names. If you find any, do as above. and of
course, more research on the net.

good luck
Mike

"BodoDin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First of all, I'm running windows xp pro, I've been using the

computer
> for quite awhile and havn't had any problems. Recently, I've had a
> problem with some kind of "virus." When I start windows, I can get
> to the welcome/logon screen, and can log in, but when explorer goes
> to load, it doesn't! Going to task manager, it shows explorer.exe
> running, but the desktop is there but no icons, menu tray, or any of
> the windows commands work. I can "end task" explorer.exe and then
> "run new task" it, and everything works fine. But, when I'm using
> the computer, a random pop-up comes up entitled "Project1" and it

has
> a little message saying "it's time." I've run the lastest version

of
> ad-aware and spybot-sd1.2, full system scan with norton anti-virus
> 2003 pro all updated, and picked up some things, but it hasn't

solved
> this problem. I've looked on the net for info but I can't really
> find anything on it. Maybe if I do a windows repair?? I'm kinda
> clueless at this point and would appreciate anyones help. I've

found
> a forum with someone describing something about this kind of

problem,
> but it doesn't really fix anything.
> http://www.mcse.ms/message113808.html
> Thanks in advance for any help,
> -Andy
> ==============
> For this group's frequently asked questions, check out

www.CertFAQ.com

BodoDin

Thanks! All better.

Some kind of slow leak? Twisted Java 3 02-25-2006 12:13 AM
How to pass some kind of data to a given Web User Control? mehdi_mousavi ASP .Net 1 09-07-2005 06:30 PM
Detect when the session is going to time out and display some kind of message. UJ ASP .Net 3 08-12-2005 01:53 PM
Would some kind soul explain Ethernet? ziggy Computer Support 17 11-15-2003 07:13 PM
Interactive tutorial of some kind for teaching people basic Windows/some internet browsing? fitwell Computer Support 10 09-19-2003 06:07 AM

Advertisments