Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Entering Cmos on Laptops

Entering Cmos on Laptops

Raymond

Hello all, How do you folks enter the cmos setting in most of your laptops?
Is it possible at all? I tried it on my laptop which is a PIII compaq
armada by pressing the delete key at startup, but nothing happened. I heard
that from some folks that I must press a combination of other keys with the
delete key inorder for the delete key to work.

Thank You.

dave

Raymond wrote:
> Hello all, How do you folks enter the cmos setting in most of your laptops?
> Is it possible at all? I tried it on my laptop which is a PIII compaq
> armada by pressing the delete key at startup, but nothing happened. I heard
> that from some folks that I must press a combination of other keys with the
> delete key inorder for the delete key to work.
>
> Thank You.

Your user guide or manual will have that information, or
in the documentation that contains information about the
labtop's hardware...

dave

Barry Watzman wrote:
> Every laptop is different, almost all laptops have a way of doing it,
> but it's almost never, strangely, the delete key. On Toshiba, hold down
> the escape key PRIOR to turning on power, and keep holding it down until
> you get an error message. On other lapops, F1, F2, F10 and F12 are
> common ways to enter setup.

Not very smart Barry'

You have no way of knowing if this guy is actually trying
to get into *his own* labtop, or has, shall we say, *aquired*
this laptop, hmmm?

> Raymond wrote:
>
>> Hello all, How do you folks enter the cmos setting in most of your
>> laptops?
>> Is it possible at all? I tried it on my laptop which is a PIII compaq
>> armada by pressing the delete key at startup, but nothing happened. I
>> heard
>> that from some folks that I must press a combination of other keys
>> with the
>> delete key inorder for the delete key to work.
>>
>> Thank You.

dave

AT wrote:
> I don't agree with your way of thinking.

Then I guess it's time maybe you learn to start thinking.

My concern is along the lines of security. Period.

Understanding that one reason is one of the *few* things
one must learn properly, and take into account here
on the board.

> If anyone in here is asking questions about how things
> works, I think it is the purpose of the NG to
> help out without questioning why they need to know it.

However, accessing the CMOS is more of a security issue,
rather that finding out how something works, would you not
agree?

With access to the CMOs, you can effectively enable or
disable access to part or all of the laptop, hence
my concern.

The poster had not stated what do with his hard-drive
setup, partitioning, video resolution, changing the time,
turning off or on serial ports, IRQ's, Parrallel port
settings, or USB or Infra-RED settings, now did he?

Get the point yet?

> I do agree with your tip about reading the manual though.
> That is the simplest way of all to troubleshoot or getting needed
> information about the computer.
>
> AT
>
> "dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>Barry Watzman wrote:
>>
>>>Every laptop is different, almost all laptops have a way of doing it,
>>>but it's almost never, strangely, the delete key. On Toshiba, hold down
>>>the escape key PRIOR to turning on power, and keep holding it down until
>>>you get an error message. On other lapops, F1, F2, F10 and F12 are
>>>common ways to enter setup.

>>Not very smart Barry'
>>
>>You have no way of knowing if this guy is actually trying
>>to get into *his own* labtop, or has, shall we say, *aquired*
>>this laptop, hmmm?

Raymond

The poster had not stated what do with his hard-drive
setup, partitioning, video resolution, changing the time,
turning off or on serial ports, IRQ's, Parrallel port
settings, or USB or Infra-RED settings, now did he?

Get the point yet?

Thanks all for helping. I should get online and look at the matual,but it
drove me nut spending a couple of hours to find product serial number to
enter at the website and find the right matual. So I decide to save
sometime and ask it here. Since it is a simple and it is not very much time
consuming question to answer. I hope my question or someone's answer won't
dampen the good spririt of this newsgroup.

Thanks All and Happy Holiday.

Jinkies

In article <weaAb.984$(E-Mail Removed) t>,

>"Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Every laptop is different, almost all laptops have a way of doing it,
>> but it's almost never, strangely, the delete key. On Toshiba, hold down
>> the escape key PRIOR to turning on power, and keep holding it down until
>> you get an error message. On other lapops, F1, F2, F10 and F12 are
>> common ways to enter setup.
>>

>> Raymond wrote:
>>

>I even had one laptop that had a "wrench" key for entering setup.

That's nothing, I had one that required me to wave a dead chicken over it while
reciting ancient runes!

Huck Palmatier

....pop the hard drive out....when it boots and doesn't find the device it
might prompt you to ( do something) to enter set-up.

"Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all, How do you folks enter the cmos setting in most of your

laptops?
> Is it possible at all? I tried it on my laptop which is a PIII compaq
> armada by pressing the delete key at startup, but nothing happened. I

heard
> that from some folks that I must press a combination of other keys with

the
> delete key inorder for the delete key to work.
>
> Thank You.

Tony Sivori

dave wrote:
> AT wrote:
>> I don't agree with your way of thinking.

> Then I guess it's time maybe you learn to start thinking.

So it's your way or no way? Don't be silly. Even the most rarefied experts
disagree on many things.

> My concern is along the lines of security. Period.
>
> However, accessing the CMOS is more of a security issue, rather that
> finding out how something works, would you not agree?

Assuming he owns the laptop, no I would not agree.

> With access to the CMOs, you can effectively enable or disable access to
> part or all of the laptop, hence my concern.

Since he already seems to have physical possession of the computer, he can
already do that.

> Get the point yet?

I too would be quite loath to help any thief, but I think you are way off
the mark in this case. He wasn't even asking how to circumvent the BIOS
password. And frankly, just about any laptop thief could probably get
around the BIOS password faster than most if not all of the regular
readers of this newsgroup.

--
Tony Sivori

CMOS vs CCD - why Kodak has used a CMOS sensor in a small-sensor camera David J Taylor Digital Photography 4 08-15-2007 07:37 PM
CMOS battery low wrong memory on CMOS battery Uncle Nobby Computer Information 1 11-08-2006 12:13 AM
Firefox 1.5 entering FIND mode randomly partytildawn Firefox 1 12-07-2005 11:43 PM
Laptops,laptops Mark Computer Support 1 09-20-2004 05:10 AM
router OSPF 1 - not entering router config Preston Gallwas Cisco 3 07-01-2004 08:54 PM

Advertisments