Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Partitioning softare, freeware or share ware, which is best

Partitioning softare, freeware or share ware, which is best

Sean Cleary

Hi,
Which is the best freeware/shareware partitining software?
Can I use the disk that came with my WD600 to partition it w/o any future trouble?
I intend to run a Linix/Win98 system. Do I need dual boot software?
Sean

hootnholler

Hi Sean,

I'm sure that ez bios will do okay for ya, just a few pointers on Linux...

When you partition, make a windows partition, go through the normal steps.
Then, leave the space you want for Linux unformatted. When you go to
install your Linux distro, it will format for you with one of their formats
(usually ext2 or ext3).

After that, Linux will install either Lilo or Grub for your 'boot
commander'. You don't need a particular boot program, just make sure you
install windows first, then Linux. If you don't, you can add them later,
but it's kind of a pain...

If you are just trying this to see what Linux is all about, check out
http://www.linuxiso.org for a flavor that you would like, but you can make
cd's that are bootable and go to Linux, the two most popular being Knoppix
and the Suse evaluation flavors. In other words, download the iso, then use
something like nero to burn the iso image to a cd, then you can just start
the pc with the cd in the drive (as long as bios boot is setup to cd before
hard drive) and run linux that way. It's limited, but has most of the stuff
you can play with. Other than those pointers, I would suggest if you are
going to do a full install, try Suse, if you can get a copy. Red hat is
nice, but they are starting to charge for all their services, and Suse will
have a ton of support.

Have fun with your endeavor.

Hoot

"Sean Cleary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
> Which is the best freeware/shareware partitining software?
> Can I use the disk that came with my WD600 to partition it w/o any future

trouble?
> I intend to run a Linix/Win98 system. Do I need dual boot software?
> Sean

Paisleyskye

Another good one that is free is BootIT.
--
Paisleyskye
http://www.icertify.net

"hootnholler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:z1_ub.55114$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> Hi Sean,
>
> I'm sure that ez bios will do okay for ya, just a few pointers on Linux...
>
> When you partition, make a windows partition, go through the normal steps.
> Then, leave the space you want for Linux unformatted. When you go to
> install your Linux distro, it will format for you with one of their

formats
> (usually ext2 or ext3).
>
> After that, Linux will install either Lilo or Grub for your 'boot
> commander'. You don't need a particular boot program, just make sure you
> install windows first, then Linux. If you don't, you can add them later,
> but it's kind of a pain...
>
> If you are just trying this to see what Linux is all about, check out
> http://www.linuxiso.org for a flavor that you would like, but you can make
> cd's that are bootable and go to Linux, the two most popular being Knoppix
> and the Suse evaluation flavors. In other words, download the iso, then

use
> something like nero to burn the iso image to a cd, then you can just start
> the pc with the cd in the drive (as long as bios boot is setup to cd

before
> hard drive) and run linux that way. It's limited, but has most of the

stuff
> you can play with. Other than those pointers, I would suggest if you are
> going to do a full install, try Suse, if you can get a copy. Red hat is
> nice, but they are starting to charge for all their services, and Suse

will
> have a ton of support.
>
> Have fun with your endeavor.
>
> Hoot
>
> "Sean Cleary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> > Which is the best freeware/shareware partitining software?
> > Can I use the disk that came with my WD600 to partition it w/o any

future
> trouble?
> > I intend to run a Linix/Win98 system. Do I need dual boot software?
> > Sean

Tony Sivori

hootnholler wrote:

> When you partition, make a windows partition, go through the normal
> steps. Then, leave the space you want for Linux unformatted. When you
> go to install your Linux distro, it will format for you with one of
> their formats (usually ext2 or ext3).

ReiserFS is better than ext2/3, in my experience. I've had ext3 corrupt
data due to abrupt (improper) shutdowns. No such problems with ReiserFS.

> I would suggest if you are going to do a full install, try Suse, if you
> can get a copy. Red hat is nice, but they are starting to charge for
> all their services, and Suse will have a ton of support.

Mandrake is more open (can be freely downloaded) than suse, and is very
Linux newbie friendly. Red Hat doesn't seem to want the desktop business
anymore, but there is the new Red Hat offshoot Fedora.

--
Tony Sivori

hootnholler

Hi Tony,

Great info! I'll have to give Reiser a go, I also have had problems with
ext3...

I only mentioned Suse since Novell just acquired them, and they are working
on making it a 'total solution' to the business. Ie, they want to
incorporate your server and desktop. It is kind of interesting, but for
now, you are correct, Mandrake would probably be a much better answer for
Sean at this moment. I just kind of jumped the gun there...

Hoot

"Tony Sivori" <TonySivoriM$(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> hootnholler wrote:
>
> > When you partition, make a windows partition, go through the normal
> > steps. Then, leave the space you want for Linux unformatted. When you
> > go to install your Linux distro, it will format for you with one of
> > their formats (usually ext2 or ext3).

> ReiserFS is better than ext2/3, in my experience. I've had ext3 corrupt
> data due to abrupt (improper) shutdowns. No such problems with ReiserFS.
>
> > I would suggest if you are going to do a full install, try Suse, if you
> > can get a copy. Red hat is nice, but they are starting to charge for
> > all their services, and Suse will have a ton of support.

> Mandrake is more open (can be freely downloaded) than suse, and is very
> Linux newbie friendly. Red Hat doesn't seem to want the desktop business
> anymore, but there is the new Red Hat offshoot Fedora.
>
> --
> Tony Sivori

Sean Cleary

"hootnholler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<T_ivb.58044$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com>...
> Hi Tony,
>
> Great info! I'll have to give Reiser a go, I also have had problems with
> ext3...
>
> I only mentioned Suse since Novell just acquired them, and they are working
> on making it a 'total solution' to the business. Ie, they want to
> incorporate your server and desktop. It is kind of interesting, but for
> now, you are correct, Mandrake would probably be a much better answer for
> Sean at this moment. I just kind of jumped the gun there...
>
> Hoot
>
> "Tony Sivori" <TonySivoriM$(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hootnholler wrote:
> >
> > > When you partition, make a windows partition, go through the normal
> > > steps. Then, leave the space you want for Linux unformatted. When you
> > > go to install your Linux distro, it will format for you with one of
> > > their formats (usually ext2 or ext3).

> > ReiserFS is better than ext2/3, in my experience. I've had ext3 corrupt
> > data due to abrupt (improper) shutdowns. No such problems with ReiserFS.
> >
> > > I would suggest if you are going to do a full install, try Suse, if you
> > > can get a copy. Red hat is nice, but they are starting to charge for
> > > all their services, and Suse will have a ton of support.

> > Mandrake is more open (can be freely downloaded) than suse, and is very
> > Linux newbie friendly. Red Hat doesn't seem to want the desktop business
> > anymore, but there is the new Red Hat offshoot Fedora.
> >
> > --
> > Tony Sivori

Before this discussion started I picked up Red Hat at Fry's
electronics. Maybe I erred, but I will stick with what I bought.

EZ-Bios formats the partitions that it makes. So now I have dos
formated partitions. Will this mess up Linux?
Sean

Tony Sivori

Sean Cleary wrote:
> Before this discussion started I picked up Red Hat at Fry's electronics.
> Maybe I erred, but I will stick with what I bought.

Red Hat is a fine choice. But there won't be anymore upgrades to their
desktop OS.

> EZ-Bios formats the partitions that it makes. So now I have dos formated
> partitions. Will this mess up Linux? Sean

No problem. When you install, just select use existing partitions, and the
installer will partition the selected partition to the file system of your
choice. As previously mentioned, I recommend ReiserFS. You'll also need to
create a swap partition, but it is all a graphical interface that makes it
easy.

Also, you might want to subscribe to some of the Red Hat newsgroups.
alt.os.linux.redhat, linux.redhat, linux.redhat.install,
linux.redhat.misc, linux.redhat.rpm, (RPM is the Redhat software installer
and a very nice Red Hat feature that is also used in other Linux distro
such as Mandrake).

--
Tony Sivori

Tony Sivori

hootnholler wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> Great info! I'll have to give Reiser a go, I also have had problems
> with ext3...

We get a lot of thunderstorms where I live, and sometimes I'm awakened by
thunder only to remember that I left the computers running. Doh! I'd
usually just yank the power cord, only to later discover that is Russian
roulette with ext2/3. Which surprised me as it is "advertised" as a
journaling file system.

> I only mentioned Suse since Novell just acquired them, and they are
> working on making it a 'total solution' to the business. Ie, they want
> to incorporate your server and desktop. It is kind of interesting, but
> for now, you are correct, Mandrake would probably be a much better
> answer for Sean at this moment. I just kind of jumped the gun there...

Mandrake has been my primary OS for five months now. I like it a lot
better than Windows. I found it easy to install and use, except for
getting the winmodem working.

Mandrake has a reputation as the most newbie friendly of the mainstream
Linux distros. I guess Lycoris and Lindows might be easier for a newbie,
but I think most Linux folks consider them to be oddball distros.

--
Tony Sivori

Tony Sivori

Tony Sivori wrote:
> the installer will partition the selected partition to the file system

Oops, I meant format the selected partition.

--
Tony Sivori