Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Large drive support in Server 2003

Large drive support in Server 2003

MF

I know Window 2k Pro and Server and Win XP do not support hard drives
over 137 GB out of the box. MS has articles telling you that they
don't and how to enable it on them. Can't find a thing on that
subject with regard to Server 2003. Does anybody know a) if it does,
or not, and b) if not, whether the method of enabling it is the same
on 03 as on the rest of them?

One would think so, but......

Thanks!

Mike

Geoff

MF wrote:
> I know Window 2k Pro and Server and Win XP do not support hard drives
> over 137 GB out of the box. MS has articles telling you that they
> don't and how to enable it on them. Can't find a thing on that
> subject with regard to Server 2003. Does anybody know a) if it does,
> or not, and b) if not, whether the method of enabling it is the same
> on 03 as on the rest of them?
>
> One would think so, but......
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

do a search for
48bit LBA

MF

Or what seems to be the skinny.
W2K- with SP3 or above (put in SP4)= have to run the drive mfgrs program or
edit the registry HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services/atapi and put in a
new value EnableBigLba and set it to 0x1.
XP with SP1 - ditto.
2003 Server - just update it. It reports the size of the drive accurately
(always a disappointment) with no mods of the registry and no fiddling
around with the mfgrs large drive update program.

Am just checking DiskManager with the drive laying on the desk. Havent
installed it yet, but it looks like all will be okay after those mods and no
mod necessary for 03 server.
Mike

"MF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know Window 2k Pro and Server and Win XP do not support hard drives
> over 137 GB out of the box. MS has articles telling you that they
> don't and how to enable it on them. Can't find a thing on that
> subject with regard to Server 2003. Does anybody know a) if it does,
> or not, and b) if not, whether the method of enabling it is the same
> on 03 as on the rest of them?
>
> One would think so, but......
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

MF

Thanks for the tip! But as i hinted but sadly did not specify, this
search yields nothing about 2003.

regards,

Mike
"Geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bp0l6c$1j6l66$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> MF wrote:
> > I know Window 2k Pro and Server and Win XP do not support hard

drives
> > over 137 GB out of the box. MS has articles telling you that they
> > don't and how to enable it on them. Can't find a thing on that
> > subject with regard to Server 2003. Does anybody know a) if it

does,
> > or not, and b) if not, whether the method of enabling it is the

same
> > on 03 as on the rest of them?
> >
> > One would think so, but......
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mike

> do a search for
> 48bit LBA

Server.Mappath returns path on local drive instead of server drive? (ASP.NET) Jon ASP .Net 5 01-17-2010 04:27 PM
Upgrading from x32 Server 2003 r2 to x64 server 2003 r2 clucas009 Windows 64bit 4 03-26-2009 11:38 PM
Large drive support David NZ Computing 9 11-07-2005 09:30 PM
Windows 2003 Server or Exchange Server 2003 first????? Ozzie MCSA 1 11-30-2004 01:10 AM
Large drive support in Server 2k3?? MikeF MCSE 2 11-14-2003 02:38 AM

Advertisments