Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > A+ Certification?

A+ Certification?

BK

Hello,

I am pretty new on this newsgroup and I am currently thinking of earning
some certifications starting with A+.

I am trying to find out if this "A+" exam is just one exam or a series of
exams. Whenever I read on the newsrgroup, some people say they passed the A+
OS, some people say they passed the A+ Core, some people say Hardware, but
A+ to my knowledge is just one certification no?

So in layman's terms... what exams do I need to take to become fully A+
certified? How much is each exam? Also, if I study and take these exams
before Nov. 26th before "Windows XP" A+ curriculum comes out, I don't have
to renew it or take an upgrade test to become certified in Windows XP right?

As you can see, I am very confused about this. If someone is kind enough to
explain it to me, I will really appreciate it!!!

Thanks in advance

C Peck

This link from CompTIA explains the process on the A+ exams

http://www.comptia.org/certification/A/objectives.asp

Basically you take 2 tests and must pass both to receive the certification -
Good luck! I'm studying for it right now also and plan on taking the 2003
test in Dec

"BK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I am pretty new on this newsgroup and I am currently thinking of earning
> some certifications starting with A+.
>
> I am trying to find out if this "A+" exam is just one exam or a series of
> exams. Whenever I read on the newsrgroup, some people say they passed the

A+
> OS, some people say they passed the A+ Core, some people say Hardware, but
> A+ to my knowledge is just one certification no?
>
> So in layman's terms... what exams do I need to take to become fully A+
> certified? How much is each exam? Also, if I study and take these exams
> before Nov. 26th before "Windows XP" A+ curriculum comes out, I don't have
> to renew it or take an upgrade test to become certified in Windows XP

right?

> As you can see, I am very confused about this. If someone is kind enough

> explain it to me, I will really appreciate it!!!
>
> Thanks in advance

C. Philip Cutler II

As I said in a different thread in this group.
A+ is a lifetime certification, no need to retest, unless you have $200+
just sitting around gathering dust.

Philip

"BK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks so much for the feedback. So the way I understand it is that if I
> take the Hardware test and pass it and the OS portion and I pass it, then

> get the A+ certification. When the 2003 (OS) comes out on November, it is
> mandatory for me to take this in order for my A+ to be updated? Just like

in
> other certifications they make you re-test every 3 years, is this how it
> works in A+?
>
> Hope my question was clear.
>
> BK
>
> "C Peck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > This link from CompTIA explains the process on the A+ exams
> >
> > http://www.comptia.org/certification/A/objectives.asp
> >
> > Basically you take 2 tests and must pass both to receive the

> certification -
> > Good luck! I'm studying for it right now also and plan on taking the

2003
> > test in Dec
> >
> > "BK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am pretty new on this newsgroup and I am currently thinking of

earning
> > > some certifications starting with A+.
> > >
> > > I am trying to find out if this "A+" exam is just one exam or a series

> of
> > > exams. Whenever I read on the newsrgroup, some people say they passed

> the
> > A+
> > > OS, some people say they passed the A+ Core, some people say Hardware,

> but
> > > A+ to my knowledge is just one certification no?
> > >
> > > So in layman's terms... what exams do I need to take to become fully

A+
> > > certified? How much is each exam? Also, if I study and take these

exams
> > > before Nov. 26th before "Windows XP" A+ curriculum comes out, I don't

> have
> > > to renew it or take an upgrade test to become certified in Windows XP

> > right?
> > >
> > > As you can see, I am very confused about this. If someone is kind

enough
> > > explain it to me, I will really appreciate it!!!
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

somebody@erols.com

The A+ is in two parts ,and both are needed for certification. One is
the OS and the other is the Core ( also called the hardware portion)
Each test is $145 give or take. It is a lifetime certification,you do
not have to take it everytime it changes. Look at www.comptia.org I
hope this helps.

BK wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am pretty new on this newsgroup and I am currently thinking of earning
>some certifications starting with A+.
>
>I am trying to find out if this "A+" exam is just one exam or a series of
>exams. Whenever I read on the newsrgroup, some people say they passed the A+
>OS, some people say they passed the A+ Core, some people say Hardware, but
>A+ to my knowledge is just one certification no?
>
>So in layman's terms... what exams do I need to take to become fully A+
>certified? How much is each exam? Also, if I study and take these exams
>before Nov. 26th before "Windows XP" A+ curriculum comes out, I don't have
>to renew it or take an upgrade test to become certified in Windows XP right?
>
>As you can see, I am very confused about this. If someone is kind enough to
>explain it to me, I will really appreciate it!!!
>
>Thanks in advance

Frederic

Hi

You need to pass both OS and Hardware exams in order to be A+ certified.
You'll find all the information on the compTIA website.
http://comptia.org/certification/A/objectives.asp

You will never need to renew your certification because CompTIA
certifications are lifetime certifications.

In fact when you say that you are an A+ certified technician you should in
fact specify which version.

I am A+ 2001 so I am not certified on Windows Me and XP. Someone else could
be A+ 1998 and he wouldn't have recognized expertise with Windows 2000. It's
the same for hardware expertise.

--
Frederic
MCP, IT Project+, i-Net+, CIWA, A+

"BK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I am pretty new on this newsgroup and I am currently thinking of earning
> some certifications starting with A+.
>
> I am trying to find out if this "A+" exam is just one exam or a series of
> exams. Whenever I read on the newsrgroup, some people say they passed the

A+
> OS, some people say they passed the A+ Core, some people say Hardware, but
> A+ to my knowledge is just one certification no?
>
> So in layman's terms... what exams do I need to take to become fully A+
> certified? How much is each exam? Also, if I study and take these exams
> before Nov. 26th before "Windows XP" A+ curriculum comes out, I don't have
> to renew it or take an upgrade test to become certified in Windows XP

right?

> As you can see, I am very confused about this. If someone is kind enough

> explain it to me, I will really appreciate it!!!
>
> Thanks in advance

Jinkies

In article <6_Usb.10199$(E-Mail Removed)>,

>You will never need to renew your certification because CompTIA
>certifications are lifetime certifications.
>
>In fact when you say that you are an A+ certified technician you should in
>fact specify which version.
>
>I am A+ 2001 so I am not certified on Windows Me and XP. Someone else could
>be A+ 1998 and he wouldn't have recognized expertise with Windows 2000. It's
>the same for hardware expertise.

except that if you took one of the tests before the new objectives go into
place you're allowed to take the next test and combine them to get your
certification. So under your scheme somebody could be half and half.

Mark Schwemlein

Is that in writing somewhere? I passed the exam 10 years ago when it was
combined (hardware, Windows, Macintosh) and I'm having a hard time getting
my school to accept this certification because it is so old.