Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > deleting temp problem

deleting temp problem

-D-

I'm running Win2000 Pro and I routinely clear out my temp folder. I
encountered a problem the other day with some files that I can't delete. I
can't rename them, cut, copy, or do anything to get rid of them. In the
temp folder under the current user in local settings, there is a copy of the
Internet Temporary Files folder. Within that folder there is the
Content.IE5 folder and then 4 folders within that one with folder names like
0L23GH6F. When I try to delete the entire Temporary Internet File folder or
any of the sub folders I get the following error:
Error Deleting File or Folders
Cannot Delete SITE_M~1.HTM
Make sure you specify the correct path and filename.

I went through each folder and deleted all the files except for the the four
..htm files that won't delete in the folders under the Temporary Internet
Files folder. I've tried rebooting and that hasn't worked, using a spider
HD cleaner and that hasn't worked either. Has anyone encountered something
similar and know how I can delete these folders out of my Temp folder.
Thanks in advance for any help.
-D-

JS

yes, i have the same problem in Win 98 - i can't delete these folders, i get
a message like "desktop.ini is a system file".
the folders i can't delete are:

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\AZXAHR4K
C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MBI3HSOB
etc.
there are four of them. i can manually delete all these files except
desktop.ini.
also, i have my IE 6.0 options set to "delete temporary files on exit". but
that doesn't seem to be working either. any suggestions?

regards,
js.

"-D-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running Win2000 Pro and I routinely clear out my temp folder. I
> encountered a problem the other day with some files that I can't delete.

> can't rename them, cut, copy, or do anything to get rid of them. In the
> temp folder under the current user in local settings, there is a copy of

the
> Internet Temporary Files folder. Within that folder there is the
> Content.IE5 folder and then 4 folders within that one with folder names

like
> 0L23GH6F. When I try to delete the entire Temporary Internet File folder

or
> any of the sub folders I get the following error:
> Error Deleting File or Folders
> Cannot Delete SITE_M~1.HTM
> Make sure you specify the correct path and filename.
>
> I went through each folder and deleted all the files except for the the

four
> .htm files that won't delete in the folders under the Temporary Internet
> Files folder. I've tried rebooting and that hasn't worked, using a spider
> HD cleaner and that hasn't worked either. Has anyone encountered

something
> similar and know how I can delete these folders out of my Temp folder.
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> -D-

Anon

Try renaming the stubborn file with extension .txt then you can delete it
with no resistance.

I have on occasion come across some temp internet files or folders that
would
not let me delete them and I renamed them or moved them and the problem
went away.

Give it a try

"JS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v%usb.17179$(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes, i have the same problem in Win 98 - i can't delete these folders, i

get
> a message like "desktop.ini is a system file".
> the folders i can't delete are:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\AZXAHR4K
> C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MBI3HSOB
> etc.
> there are four of them. i can manually delete all these files except
> desktop.ini.
> also, i have my IE 6.0 options set to "delete temporary files on exit".

but
> that doesn't seem to be working either. any suggestions?
>
> regards,
> js.
>

> "-D-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm running Win2000 Pro and I routinely clear out my temp folder. I
> > encountered a problem the other day with some files that I can't delete.

> > can't rename them, cut, copy, or do anything to get rid of them. In the
> > temp folder under the current user in local settings, there is a copy of

> the
> > Internet Temporary Files folder. Within that folder there is the
> > Content.IE5 folder and then 4 folders within that one with folder names

> like
> > 0L23GH6F. When I try to delete the entire Temporary Internet File

folder
> or
> > any of the sub folders I get the following error:
> > Error Deleting File or Folders
> > Cannot Delete SITE_M~1.HTM
> > Make sure you specify the correct path and filename.
> >
> > I went through each folder and deleted all the files except for the the

> four
> > .htm files that won't delete in the folders under the Temporary Internet
> > Files folder. I've tried rebooting and that hasn't worked, using a

spider
> > HD cleaner and that hasn't worked either. Has anyone encountered

> something
> > similar and know how I can delete these folders out of my Temp folder.
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> > -D-

-D-

Hi Anon,
I did try to rename the files, but I couldn't even do that. The files
are locked and I can't move them, rename, delete or anything. It's really
frustrating. Do you think if I went into safe mode that I could rename the
files, log back on and delete them then? It was something I just thought
about?? Or, any other thoughts? Thanks for the help
-D-
"Anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Try renaming the stubborn file with extension .txt then you can delete

it
> with no resistance.
>
> I have on occasion come across some temp internet files or folders that
> would
> not let me delete them and I renamed them or moved them and the problem
> went away.
>
> Give it a try
>
> "JS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:v%usb.17179$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > yes, i have the same problem in Win 98 - i can't delete these folders, i

> get
> > a message like "desktop.ini is a system file".
> > the folders i can't delete are:
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\AZXAHR4K
> > C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MBI3HSOB
> > etc.
> > there are four of them. i can manually delete all these files except
> > desktop.ini.
> > also, i have my IE 6.0 options set to "delete temporary files on exit".

> but
> > that doesn't seem to be working either. any suggestions?
> >
> > regards,
> > js.
> >

> > "-D-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I'm running Win2000 Pro and I routinely clear out my temp folder. I
> > > encountered a problem the other day with some files that I can't

delete.
> > > can't rename them, cut, copy, or do anything to get rid of them. In

the
> > > temp folder under the current user in local settings, there is a copy

of
> > the
> > > Internet Temporary Files folder. Within that folder there is the
> > > Content.IE5 folder and then 4 folders within that one with folder

names
> > like
> > > 0L23GH6F. When I try to delete the entire Temporary Internet File

> folder
> > or
> > > any of the sub folders I get the following error:
> > > Error Deleting File or Folders
> > > Cannot Delete SITE_M~1.HTM
> > > Make sure you specify the correct path and filename.
> > >
> > > I went through each folder and deleted all the files except for the

the
> > four
> > > .htm files that won't delete in the folders under the Temporary

Internet
> > > Files folder. I've tried rebooting and that hasn't worked, using a

> spider
> > > HD cleaner and that hasn't worked either. Has anyone encountered

> > something
> > > similar and know how I can delete these folders out of my Temp folder.
> > > Thanks in advance for any help.
> > > -D-

AG

If your drive is formatted NTFS then you can't do it from DOS even. You
might try one of the internet cleaning programs, I ran into one last month
that was free but can't for the life of me remember where.
You might just have to live with it.
AG
"-D-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Anon,
> I did try to rename the files, but I couldn't even do that. The files
> are locked and I can't move them, rename, delete or anything. It's really
> frustrating. Do you think if I went into safe mode that I could rename

the
> files, log back on and delete them then? It was something I just thought
> about?? Or, any other thoughts? Thanks for the help
> -D-
> "Anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Try renaming the stubborn file with extension .txt then you can delete

> it
> > with no resistance.
> >
> > I have on occasion come across some temp internet files or folders that
> > would
> > not let me delete them and I renamed them or moved them and the problem
> > went away.
> >
> > Give it a try
> >
> > "JS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:v%usb.17179$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > yes, i have the same problem in Win 98 - i can't delete these folders,

> > get
> > > a message like "desktop.ini is a system file".
> > > the folders i can't delete are:
> > >
> > > C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\AZXAHR4K
> > > C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MBI3HSOB
> > > etc.
> > > there are four of them. i can manually delete all these files except
> > > desktop.ini.
> > > also, i have my IE 6.0 options set to "delete temporary files on

exit".
> > but
> > > that doesn't seem to be working either. any suggestions?
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > js.
> > >

> > > "-D-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> delete.

> the

copy
> of
> > > the

> names
> > > like

> > folder
> > > or

> the
> > > four

> Internet

> > spider
> > > something

folder.

Bret

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:41:31 -0600, "AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If your drive is formatted NTFS then you can't do it from DOS even.

There are boot disks available thart can read and write to NTFS
partitions.They do cost money though.

www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

AG

OO OO I want one. But I want a laptop more. O well I can wait.
AG
news(E-Mail Removed)...