Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > USB 1.1 with USB 2.0

USB 1.1 with USB 2.0

eveversion4

I know this question has probably been asked before but I can't find the
answer I'm looking for. My old Dell Dimension 4100 has USB ports on the
back that I know for a fact are USB 1.1 compliant. I am aware that USB
1.1 peripheral devices do not use the higher speeds of the USB 2.0
standard when they are plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

My question is what happens when you put a USB 2.0 PCI card into pc that
already has USB ports running at the 1.1 standard?

I'm curious to know because I'm getting a USB new printer for Christmas
and I'm all out of open USB ports and I've been thinking about buying a
USB PCI card to make up for this.

Probably going to need a bigger power supply too...

eve

**************************
Remove _DONTSENDMECRAP_ to send email to me. Thanks!!

eveversion4

JBS wrote:
> It shouldn't be a problem. Your add on card will run at USB 2.0 speeds.
> The onboard ports won't affect it. My motherboard has 2 USB 1.1 ports and 2
> USB 2.0 ports. I also have an Adaptec PCI card that adds 3 USB 2.0 ports
> and 2 IEEE 1394 ports. It all works great--no conflicts. I have a 430 watt
> power supply so this hasn't been an issue.

Thanks for you help. I kinda figured you could run both with no
problems. I am using Windows 2000 Pro Service Pack 4, so I don't think
that would be a problem either. But, I might consider getting a adapter
PCI card with USB 2.0 and 1394 just to have all the connections for
future expansion.

eve

--
**************************

Barry Watzman wrote:

> The existing ports will remain USB 1.1 and the added ports on the PCI
> USB 2.0 expansion card will be USB 2.0, providing that you have a USB 2
> compatible OS and that you properly install the drivers.
>
> There's no reason that you should need a bigger power supply unless
> there are factors that you didn't mention. The total draw from the USB
> 2.0 card will probably be no more than about 10 watts.
>
> Many USB printers will not work through a hub, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the information. I'm totatlly not into the hub thing anyways
because I don't have the room on my computer desk and I know too many
people who've fried their mobo when they overloaded their USB hub. I was
a little concerned about power because I only have a 250 watt power
supply; I will have to check the hardware requirements when chosing an
adapter card.

Thanks again,

eve