Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > voucher

voucher

Raymond

When I signed up to take the A+ exam there was mentioning of voucher, what
exactly is voucher?

Thanks

Cindy Clayton

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:20:45 -0600, "Raymond"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I signed up to take the A+ exam there was mentioning of voucher, what
>exactly is voucher?
>
>Thanks

Glenn put it well when he said that a voucher is a coupon. Instead of
paying full price to an exam center, you purchase a voucher at a lower
cost, then give the exam center the unique voucher number instead of
payment. It's easy, and very worthwhile.

If you're wondering how this is possible, here it is in a nutshell:
companies who are CompTIA members can buy large numbers of vouchers at
deep discounts, and many companies then resell them to the general
public. Earlier this year, CompTIA began requiring that resellers
package all vouchers with training materials of some sort; today, in
addition to minor variations in price, you can select a voucher
reseller on the basis of the quality of what you get *with* your
vouchers.

There are lots of choices out there, which you can find easily--either
search the Web at large, or do a Google search on this newsgroup (as
you can imagine, people talk about vouchers a lot here!). My personal
suggestion (and as an employee, I'm biased) is to check out Total
Seminars; with our vouchers, we include practice exam software with
the same excellent test engine found on the CD in the back of Mike
Meyers' All-In-One A+ Certification Exam Guide. You can find vouchers
a few dollars cheaper, but for good practice exams and friendly
service, check us out. But whatever you do ... don't pay full price
for your A+ exams!

Cheers,

Cindy Clayton
Total Seminars, LLC
www.totalsem.com

blue

Ahhh, but therein lies the problem... at least with me it was.
1. I didn't find out about vouchers until AFTER I purchased Mike's
4th Edition, bundled with Chris Clayton's A+ Adapative book, on
Amazon. So, there's 70 something dollars.
2. It was only after I bought the book that I found out about the
newgroup. (When you're going it alone, you stumble on this stuff)
3. What am I to do then? Buy another study material, more money...
I end up paying more for the material than the voucher saves me.

Either that or I really wasn't paying attention.

Luckily, my employer agreed to pay for half of everything, if I
passed, which I did.

Now, wouldn't it be nice to go to Amazon right now and see alongside
Mike's book, something about vouchers? I just took a quick look and
didn't see anything... course, I could have spent an hour there
looking at every possible link.

I bought the book about a year ago. Completely satisfied with it and
consider it a reference... to keep!

blue

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:03:48 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Cindy
Clayton) wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:20:45 -0600, "Raymond"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>When I signed up to take the A+ exam there was mentioning of voucher, what
>>exactly is voucher?
>>
>>Thanks

>Glenn put it well when he said that a voucher is a coupon. Instead of
>paying full price to an exam center, you purchase a voucher at a lower
>cost, then give the exam center the unique voucher number instead of
>payment. It's easy, and very worthwhile.
>
>If you're wondering how this is possible, here it is in a nutshell:
>companies who are CompTIA members can buy large numbers of vouchers at
>deep discounts, and many companies then resell them to the general
>public. Earlier this year, CompTIA began requiring that resellers
>package all vouchers with training materials of some sort; today, in
>addition to minor variations in price, you can select a voucher
>reseller on the basis of the quality of what you get *with* your
>vouchers.
>
>There are lots of choices out there, which you can find easily--either
>search the Web at large, or do a Google search on this newsgroup (as
>you can imagine, people talk about vouchers a lot here!). My personal
>suggestion (and as an employee, I'm biased) is to check out Total
>Seminars; with our vouchers, we include practice exam software with
>the same excellent test engine found on the CD in the back of Mike
>Meyers' All-In-One A+ Certification Exam Guide. You can find vouchers
>a few dollars cheaper, but for good practice exams and friendly
>service, check us out. But whatever you do ... don't pay full price
>for your A+ exams!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cindy Clayton
>Total Seminars, LLC
>www.totalsem.com
>800-446-6004

JesseTX

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 03:44:24 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (blue) wrote:

>3. What am I to do then? Buy another study material, more money...
>I end up paying more for the material than the voucher saves me.

The voucher will always save you money. So even if it only saved you
a dollar (it will save you a LOT more than that), it's worth it
because the voucher comes with additional study material. You are
looking at it like you must purchase additional study material and the
study material comes with a voucher. But actually, it's the other way
around.

The non-discounted price for an exam is $145 ($290 for both exams).
You can buy vouchers (which come with additional study material) for
around $190 for two. So that discounts your price to about $95 per
exam.

There is no way you could ever end up paying more for the vouchers
then they would save you. If you did, then no one would buy vouchers.

Cindy Clayton

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 03:44:24 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (blue) wrote:

>Ahhh, but therein lies the problem... at least with me it was.
>1. I didn't find out about vouchers until AFTER I purchased Mike's
>4th Edition, bundled with Chris Clayton's A+ Adapative book, on
>Amazon. So, there's 70 something dollars.
>2. It was only after I bought the book that I found out about the
>newgroup. (When you're going it alone, you stumble on this stuff)
>3. What am I to do then? Buy another study material, more money...
>I end up paying more for the material than the voucher saves me.

Hi Blue,

You shouldn't worry too much about paying a lot of $$ on top of the
cost of vouchers because they're now bundled with training materials.

First, I guarantee you that voucher prices are still quite a
bargain--as Jesse pointed out, any savings is still a savings! And
you'll find that the savings are indeed substantial.

Second, the books you've bought (well, Mike's book for sure) aren't
the kinds of training materials that are being offered as part of
voucher bundles. CompTIA only requires that *some sort of training
material* be included with the voucher(s), so as you can imagine, no
one's throwing in big, heavy books that retail for upwards of US $40.

Many companies bundle e-books that you download from their web sites,
and/or practice exams of some type, and the quality of these materials
varies greatly from one company to the next.

What Total Seminars offers in its bundle is not Mike's book, and not
the same bank of practice exams that are found in the back of the
book--instead, it's an expanded set of practice exams, with hundreds
more questions using the same software that closely simulates the
actual test environment.

The bottom line is that you haven't missed out on any voucher savings
by having already bought your books. My advice is to go forth and
study, then definitely get vouchers when it's time to take your exams.

Best of luck,

Cindy Clayton
Total Seminars, LLC
www.totalsem.com