Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Networking XP and Windows 2000 Pro-HELP!

Networking XP and Windows 2000 Pro-HELP!

=?Utf-8?B?a2R1dHk=?=

?I am trying to network two computers. One computer runs XP and is hardwired
to a linksys router and a DSL modem. The other computer is connected wireless
to the router and is running Windows 2000 Pro. Both machines access the net
fine independantly. I am trying to share files and printers. I ran the
Network wizard on XP and created a netsetup disk to configure the 2000 Pro
machine, but 2000 Pro says that the disk won't work. How do I setup the
networking on the 2000 machine?

Steve Winograd [MVP]

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"kduty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>?I am trying to network two computers. One computer runs XP and is hardwired
>to a linksys router and a DSL modem. The other computer is connected wireless
>to the router and is running Windows 2000 Pro. Both machines access the net
>fine independantly. I am trying to share files and printers. I ran the
>Network wizard on XP and created a netsetup disk to configure the 2000 Pro
>machine, but 2000 Pro says that the disk won't work. How do I setup the
>networking on the 2000 machine?

The default Windows 2000 network settings should work fine to
communicate with Windows XP.

Look for the other computer's shared disks and folders in My Network
Places. If they aren't there, click "Add a network place" and follow
the prompts.

To access the other computer directly, without using My Network
Places, type the other computer's name in the Start | Run box in this
format:

\\computer
--
Best Wishes,