Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > System Tune-Up

System Tune-Up

Magnum

I've seen service companies offer System Tune-Ups for $80-$100+.
Is there anything else involved in a "tune-up" other than removing
spy-ware with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware and deleting cookies and
temporary internet files?
If this is all there is, it seems like a rip-off.

Rob, A+

RussS

Possibly more than a few just do that. When we do it (not advertised) we do
a whole bunch more. As our rates are $90 hr I think $80-$00 is about right.

hootnholler

Hey Magnum,

I guess it's like most things in life when it comes to repairs. It depends
on how much it is worth to you, and what type of person is doing the work.
For example, I started out in industrial trades, and to me, a $600 brake job
on a car is money out the window. Although, to an Aunt Edna, this is well
worth the cost... unless Edna is Mrs. Goodwrench

As Russ and Barry mentioned, there are quite a few different areas of
'tune-ups'. To me, if I were to do this for a customer, I would open the
case, clean it up, move wiring for airflow, etc... then check their hardware
for any defects by inspection and software. Then, depending on their
operating system, would do some general cleaning and possibly some 'tweaks'
to optimize performance. Plus, it pays to know your customer. As Barry
pointed out, if this person is a 'legit' user of comptuers, uses for
financial records, etc... wiping cookies could be a bad idea. Run adaware
and spybot, plus a good trojan scanner After that, suggest some good
security ideas.. If the user is a proficient user of pr0n, you bet I'd
delete history and cookies, then run the programs, and suggest the best
antivirus there is at the time...

I guess to summarize, it depends on the service. It always pays to try and
do the best for the customer, and the customer should do their best to see
that they are getting the services that they require. Remember, the only
dumb question there is, is the one that is never asked!

Hoot

"Magnum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I've seen service companies offer System Tune-Ups for $80-$100+.
> Is there anything else involved in a "tune-up" other than removing
> spy-ware with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware and deleting cookies and
> temporary internet files?
> If this is all there is, it seems like a rip-off.
>
> Rob, A+

Geoff

Magnum wrote:
> I've seen service companies offer System Tune-Ups for $80-$100+.
> Is there anything else involved in a "tune-up" other than removing
> spy-ware with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware and deleting cookies and
> temporary internet files?
> If this is all there is, it seems like a rip-off.
>
> Rob, A+

yup, thats all there is too it
personaly i'd add some other stuff like defrag, scandisk with surface scan,
bin off spyware, do antivirus scan

ain't the IT industry great
value for money if ever i saw it !

Tom MacIntyre

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 05:03:06 GMT, Barry Watzman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mostly, it's a rip-off.
>
>You would want to CLEAN out the computer, physically. The amount of
>dust in a PC after just 6-12 weeks can be amazing, especially ones that
>sit on the floor.
>
>Remove adware, yes, and do a virus scan and defrag the hard drive. I
>would NOT remove cookies, however. I've seen cases were people logged
>onto their bank or stockbroker, the cookie made it automatic. Remove
>the cookie and they need a userid and password. Many of the people
>didn't even know that they HAD a userID and password, and of the rest,
>they knew that they had one, but not what it was. When you killed the
>cookie, they were screwed.

Very good observation...

Tom