Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > anti virus

anti virus

techshare

Oh not you again ....

I have been using this setup for quite sometime. I haven't had a need to
TEST the ntfsdos stuff since I usually don't need to scan drives from a boot
floppy. I've been saying that you really should try to remove viruses and
worms with a scanner in WINDOWS FIRST. Again, "bobo" you are incapable of
receiving help from a technical person. You guys resemble a bunch of monkeys
in a gangland school (with bad attitudes). You should be ashamed ... and I
must be a real glutton for punishment.

Kids. You got that part right.
"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > BTW - I'm quite certain that a DOS NTFS reader IS a solution to this
> > problem. That combined with a scanner and the latest defs on CD and you
> > should be set. This is what I use. I've made over 1800 the past two

month
> > removing viruses alone. However, even though I carry such a setup ...

> Really? Then why, just yesterday did you say:
>
> "Do you want to run this from DOS? If so, the only approach I've seen is
> using something like F-PROT with a DOS NTFS reader (like NTFSDOS).
> Personally, I haven't tried it yet. Let us know if you are successful with
> it."
>
> Pretty long stretch between "haven't tried it" and "This is what I use".
>

> Remember kids, we now must add "lying ****wit" to techtwat's list of known
> skills.

jt

Hey techshare,

Do you install your copy of the scanner s/w on the client's system (like in
Windows XP) to run it (and I presume you would uninstall it when you're
done), or do you just run it from your CD without installing it (like using
the navdx command - From Norton's AV 2002 - in a Command Prompt window)? I'm
wondering what the pro's and con's would be for either method.

thanks,
jt

"techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh not you again ....
>
> I have been using this setup for quite sometime. I haven't had a need to
> TEST the ntfsdos stuff since I usually don't need to scan drives from a

boot
> floppy. I've been saying that you really should try to remove viruses and
> worms with a scanner in WINDOWS FIRST. Again, "bobo" you are incapable of
> receiving help from a technical person. You guys resemble a bunch of

monkeys
> in a gangland school (with bad attitudes). You should be ashamed ... and I
> must be a real glutton for punishment.
>
> Kids. You got that part right.
> "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > BTW - I'm quite certain that a DOS NTFS reader IS a solution to this
> > > problem. That combined with a scanner and the latest defs on CD and

you
> > > should be set. This is what I use. I've made over 1800 the past two

> month
> > > removing viruses alone. However, even though I carry such a setup ...

> > Really? Then why, just yesterday did you say:
> >
> > "Do you want to run this from DOS? If so, the only approach I've seen is
> > using something like F-PROT with a DOS NTFS reader (like NTFSDOS).
> > Personally, I haven't tried it yet. Let us know if you are successful

with
> > it."
> >
> > Pretty long stretch between "haven't tried it" and "This is what I use".
> >

> > Remember kids, we now must add "lying ****wit" to techtwat's list of

known
> > skills.

techshare

9 times out of 10 an infection results in a sale of a virus scanner. In
other words, I do install it (fresh) and sell them the product. Most people
wind up with virus problems because their "current" scanner (if any) is
either outdated, or not working. On some occasions, I'll attempt to update
or otherwise use what the customer has. Actually, I'll do whatever I can to
use it. However, like anything else ... I will charge for whatever time it
takes to get their mess up and running again. On the flip side, if I sell
them a scanner I will include a virus removal provided it doesn't take too
long. At 79 for a scanner installed + license + some virus removal time ...
it's usually a better deal for the customer to go that route.

As far as uninstalling it ... I don't do that anymore. If a customer needs
me to use my scanner, I require them to buy a license. Again, they'd have
just as much in with my time and no scanner ... so there usually isn't a
problem.

On a side note, profit is the name of the game .... and when you run a
computer service business ... there aren't a lot of products to sell (other
than your time). Virus scanners and networking equipment are the only ones
I've found to be good sellers. You'll do yourself and your customers well to
find creative ways to sell these products.
"jt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GETqb.172$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> Hey techshare,
>
> Do you install your copy of the scanner s/w on the client's system (like

in
> Windows XP) to run it (and I presume you would uninstall it when you're
> done), or do you just run it from your CD without installing it (like

using
> the navdx command - From Norton's AV 2002 - in a Command Prompt window)?

I'm
> wondering what the pro's and con's would be for either method.
>
> thanks,
> jt
>
> "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Oh not you again ....
> >
> > I have been using this setup for quite sometime. I haven't had a need to

> > TEST the ntfsdos stuff since I usually don't need to scan drives from a

> boot
> > floppy. I've been saying that you really should try to remove viruses

and
> > worms with a scanner in WINDOWS FIRST. Again, "bobo" you are incapable

of
> > receiving help from a technical person. You guys resemble a bunch of

> monkeys
> > in a gangland school (with bad attitudes). You should be ashamed ... and

> > must be a real glutton for punishment.
> >
> > Kids. You got that part right.
> > "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> you

> > month

> > > Really? Then why, just yesterday did you say:
> > >
> > > "Do you want to run this from DOS? If so, the only approach I've seen

is
> > > using something like F-PROT with a DOS NTFS reader (like NTFSDOS).
> > > Personally, I haven't tried it yet. Let us know if you are successful

> with
> > > it."
> > >
> > > Pretty long stretch between "haven't tried it" and "This is what I

use".

> > > Remember kids, we now must add "lying ****wit" to techtwat's list of

> known
> > > skills.

techshare

Oh, I forgot the "pro's" . I don't see many pros to using any other method
other than what I just described. If you do anything else.. you'll probably
spend more time, have a greater chance of failure, and will leave the
customer in a less protected state.
"jt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GETqb.172$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> Hey techshare,
>
> Do you install your copy of the scanner s/w on the client's system (like

in
> Windows XP) to run it (and I presume you would uninstall it when you're
> done), or do you just run it from your CD without installing it (like

using
> the navdx command - From Norton's AV 2002 - in a Command Prompt window)?

I'm
> wondering what the pro's and con's would be for either method.
>
> thanks,
> jt
>
> "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Oh not you again ....
> >
> > I have been using this setup for quite sometime. I haven't had a need to
> > TEST the ntfsdos stuff since I usually don't need to scan drives from a

> boot
> > floppy. I've been saying that you really should try to remove viruses

and
> > worms with a scanner in WINDOWS FIRST. Again, "bobo" you are incapable

of
> > receiving help from a technical person. You guys resemble a bunch of

> monkeys
> > in a gangland school (with bad attitudes). You should be ashamed ... and

> > must be a real glutton for punishment.
> >
> > Kids. You got that part right.
> > "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> you

> > month

> > > Really? Then why, just yesterday did you say:
> > >
> > > "Do you want to run this from DOS? If so, the only approach I've seen

is
> > > using something like F-PROT with a DOS NTFS reader (like NTFSDOS).
> > > Personally, I haven't tried it yet. Let us know if you are successful

> with
> > > it."
> > >
> > > Pretty long stretch between "haven't tried it" and "This is what I

use".

> > > Remember kids, we now must add "lying ****wit" to techtwat's list of

> known
> > > skills.

jt

Good points. Thanks.

BTW, do you buy your products wholesale, or just go retail and add a little
mark-up for the client? The theory being that unless you're moving a lot of
something, it's too much hassel and exposure (to ending up with unsold,
out-dated s/w or h/w) to bother with wholesale (although it's nice not to
have to run to the store every time you need something for a client's
system).

cheers, jt

> [...]

> > "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Oh not you again ....
> > >
> > > I have been using this setup for quite sometime. I haven't had a need

> > > TEST the ntfsdos stuff since I usually don't need to scan drives from

> > boot
> > > floppy. I've been saying that you really should try to remove viruses

> and
> > > worms with a scanner in WINDOWS FIRST. Again, "bobo" you are incapable

> of
> > > receiving help from a technical person. You guys resemble a bunch of

> > monkeys
> > > in a gangland school (with bad attitudes). You should be ashamed ...

and
> > > must be a real glutton for punishment.
> > >
> > > Kids. You got that part right.
> > > "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

jt

Techshare,
Oops... Never mind with a reply to that. I just did another search and found
some earlier threads where you address this. Thanks again. Cheers, jt

"jt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0AUqb.179$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> [...]

well
> > find creative ways to sell these products.
> > "jt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:GETqb.172$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> > > Hey techshare,
> > >
> > > Do you install your copy of the scanner s/w on the client's system

(like
> > in
> > > Windows XP) to run it (and I presume you would uninstall it when

you're
> > > done), or do you just run it from your CD without installing it (like

> > using
> > > the navdx command - From Norton's AV 2002 - in a Command Prompt

window)?
> > I'm
> > > wondering what the pro's and con's would be for either method.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > jt
> > >
> > > "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

techshare

I buy them from the obvious local stores and through Internet stores, and
add a LOT of markup to the client. This isn't a high volume deep discount
business. I'm working into wholesale pricing, but with computer stuff the
margins are thin for the resellers ... so I'm not sure how much better of a
deal you'll get than from all the other Internet companies out there. For
example, you can buy Mcafee scan 7.0 for about 30+tax at walmart. You can
buy it from some online retailers for half that. You can buy it at other
stores for as much as twice that. If I run out, I take the hit and buy
locally for that one customer. Seems to keep happening with modems. God I
hate modem problems.

The thing to remember is selling computer products through a service company
is not the same as Best Buy. The customers assume they are paying a big
markup, and they have ways of getting that markup back out of you anyway ...
so you'd better charge it if you want to get paid for your time.