Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Yes, I'm a newbie

Yes, I'm a newbie

C. Philip Cutler II

If I'm reading this right, you want/have a cable that plugs into the outside
of the Computer/ Front of the CD to the inside of the case/to the
motherboard? Are you sure your not talking about a black cable about 4
wires, with a black end about 1/3 of an inch by 2milli meters? That should
plug into the back of the CD ROM right beside the IDE Cable.

I've never seen a case where it runs from the outside to the inside...

Philip

"NoNewz_is_GoodNewz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi Dave....
>
> Yes, it's the little twisted two wire job with the small black (single)
> connector. The problem is that the audio jack on the motherboard for this
> wire is located between my pci slots, but they are toward the rear of my
> case, and obviously, the wire comes from the front at the CD rom bay...

It
> doesn't reach. Happened to me with my original case too...
>
> Linda
>

> "David K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:59:40 GMT, "NoNewz_is_GoodNewz"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >During all my mess, I went to play a CD, and it got no sound, but the
> > >speakers are new, and they work (hear all windows sounds)... The cable

> from
> > >the front of the case that says CD audio on it doesn't reach the little

> plug
> > >on the motherboard to allow sound from the front of the case.
> > >
> > >Do you think that this is the reason for no sound from a commercially

> made
> > >music CD, and if so, how do I get it to reach? Is there an adapter
> > >somewhere?

> > If that sounds like what I think it sounds like, is it a little
> > two-wire twisted cable with black connectors? Or else a cable with
> > white connectors. If it's that, it would normally go between your
> > sound card and CDROM drive, and you'd plug in your headphones to the
> > face of the CDROM on the front of the case.
> >
> > That probably doesn't help a damn bit, but I already wrote it.
> >
> > Dave

NoNewz_is_GoodNewz

No, that isn't what I'm talking about... It is an internal tow wire twisted
cable .... very small four prong male connector on the end that connects to
the motherboard. The other end is attached to the front case speaker, it
came attached with the case. All internal.

Linda

"C. Philip Cutler II" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> If I'm reading this right, you want/have a cable that plugs into the

outside
> of the Computer/ Front of the CD to the inside of the case/to the
> motherboard? Are you sure your not talking about a black cable about 4
> wires, with a black end about 1/3 of an inch by 2milli meters? That

should
> plug into the back of the CD ROM right beside the IDE Cable.
>
> I've never seen a case where it runs from the outside to the inside...
>
> Philip
>

> "NoNewz_is_GoodNewz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hi Dave....
> >
> > Yes, it's the little twisted two wire job with the small black (single)
> > connector. The problem is that the audio jack on the motherboard for

this
> > wire is located between my pci slots, but they are toward the rear of my
> > case, and obviously, the wire comes from the front at the CD rom bay...

> It
> > doesn't reach. Happened to me with my original case too...
> >
> > Linda
> >

> > "David K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

cable
> > from

little
> > plug

> > made
> > >
> > > If that sounds like what I think it sounds like, is it a little
> > > two-wire twisted cable with black connectors? Or else a cable with
> > > white connectors. If it's that, it would normally go between your
> > > sound card and CDROM drive, and you'd plug in your headphones to the
> > > face of the CDROM on the front of the case.
> > >
> > > That probably doesn't help a damn bit, but I already wrote it.
> > >
> > > Dave

NoNewz_is_GoodNewz

Hi...

Thanks Navin!

NO, I don't mean the jack on the front outside of the case. This wire came
pre-attached behind the drive bay, front speaker area, and I have no idea
what to do with it. It says CD audio on the connector that goes to the
motherboard. Only, the wires don't reach.

But that makes total sense of what wire I DO need, so I'll just leave that
other one hanging, it doesn't seem to be essential. I'll look for the one
that you told me about.

Dammit, I just came from COMPUSA again too!!!!

Back I go.....

Thanks again!

Linda
"Navin R. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:59:40 GMT, "NoNewz_is_GoodNewz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Linda,
>
> I've been reading the follow-ups to your question and I think you're a
> little confused. Some cases come with convenience audio jacks located in
> the front panel - next to the two front USB ports. They just give easy
> access to the audio connectors in case you want to plug in a set of
> headphones or a mike without rooting around behind the system. You don't
> have to connect it to get audio from the CD-ROM drive.
>
> The CD audio cable that you're missing goes from the 4-pin audio
> connector on the back of the CD-ROM drive (next to the
> Master/Slave/Cable Select jumper block) to the 'CD Audio In' connector
> located either on the sound card or, in your case, the motherboard.
> This cable is usually gray with two small flat 4-pin connectors attached
> to the ends with three or four wires colored black, red and white
> exposed at the connectors. Check the stuff that came along with the
> CD-ROM drive. You should have had a package containing the mountng
> screws, the IDE ribbon cable and the CD-Audio cable. Go here for a
> picture of what the cable looks like:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...cription=cd%2C
audio%2Ccable

> Find that cable, connect it up and you'll be hearing music. Good luck.
>
> NRJ
>
> >During all my mess, I went to play a CD, and it got no sound, but the
> >speakers are new, and they work (hear all windows sounds)... The cable

from
> >the front of the case that says CD audio on it doesn't reach the little

plug
> >on the motherboard to allow sound from the front of the case.
> >
> >Do you think that this is the reason for no sound from a commercially

made
> >music CD, and if so, how do I get it to reach? Is there an adapter
> >somewhere?
> >
> >Linda
> >

> >"NoNewz_is_GoodNewz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Thanks so much! I feel pretty successful in my first build...
> >>
> >> If anyone knows anything about video cards (specifically All in Wonder

> >with
> >> tv tuner), please see my other post...
> >>
> >> Thanks... You guys are awesome!
> >>
> >> Linda
> >>

> >> "AT" <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote in message
> >> news:R7Gqb.1108$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> >slot...

maybe
> >> get

all
> >set

> >eBay

the
> >CD

the
> >> hard

> >boot

up,
> >> the
> >> windows

order,
> >> and

> >isn't

> >have

up

> >> ruin

NoNewz_is_GoodNewz

OOooops! I said male connector, it's actually a female.

Sometimes, it's just so hard to tell the difference

Linda

> No, that isn't what I'm talking about... It is an internal tow wire

twisted
> cable .... very small four prong male connector on the end that connects

> the motherboard. The other end is attached to the front case speaker, it
> came attached with the case. All internal.
>
> Linda
>

> "C. Philip Cutler II" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > If I'm reading this right, you want/have a cable that plugs into the

> outside
> > of the Computer/ Front of the CD to the inside of the case/to the
> > motherboard? Are you sure your not talking about a black cable about 4
> > wires, with a black end about 1/3 of an inch by 2milli meters? That

> should
> > plug into the back of the CD ROM right beside the IDE Cable.
> >
> > I've never seen a case where it runs from the outside to the inside...
> >
> > Philip
> >

> > "NoNewz_is_GoodNewz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > Hi Dave....
> > >
> > > Yes, it's the little twisted two wire job with the small black

(single)
> > > connector. The problem is that the audio jack on the motherboard for

> this
> > > wire is located between my pci slots, but they are toward the rear of

my
> > > case, and obviously, the wire comes from the front at the CD rom

bay...
> > It
> > > doesn't reach. Happened to me with my original case too...
> > >
> > > Linda
> > >

> > > "David K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

the

> cable
> > > from

> little
> > > plug

commercially
> > > made

NoNewz_is_GoodNewz

Hi....

Thanks for responding. I'll take a look at the wiring a little later today
to verify it says 'cd audio', it may only say 'audio' or 'something else
audio'. It is NOT part of the bundle of wires that has Power LED, reset
switch etc. It is one single pair of twisted wires that is attached
somewhere in the front panel section of the case (there is kinda a wall
dividing this section of the case and the section where the motherboard is
housed. The case has a front headphone jack, firewire/usb ports in a small
covered section, not actually a speaker. I'm thinking that this wire
probably is to enable the headphone audio from the front.

I have perfect system sounds without this being connected, I have my
start-up beep.

This is the second case I've bought for this pc, and the other was a totally
different one/different manufacturer - and it was the same way. I'm sure
it's something simple, but I just can't figure it out, nor why the
manufacturer wouldn't make the wires LONGER to reach the section of the
motherboard where it should go???

Linda

"David K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 21:15:55 GMT, "NoNewz_is_GoodNewz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >No, that isn't what I'm talking about... It is an internal tow wire

twisted
> >cable .... very small four prong male connector on the end that connects

> >the motherboard. The other end is attached to the front case speaker, it
> >came attached with the case. All internal.

> Ohhhhhh, you know what, this totally sounds like a PC speaker cable.
> On the motherboard end, it shunts 4 pins, but only the 1st and 4th
> have wires. On the other end, it would normally go to an internal PC
> speaker, which maybe somewhat hidden in the front casing and nowadays
> is a cheap device used only for beeping on bootup and beeping for
> certain types of errors. It only has a limited range of beeps and
> isn't used for playing music.
>
> If this is right, are you sure your music is coming from that
> location, and not other speakers?
>
> The CD audio marking has me baffled, though. No two wire cable like
> that that I've seen would say CD audio on it.
>
> Are you sure you're trying to plug it into the right connector on the
> motherboard? If this is the PC speaker cable, it would normally be
> connected to pins that are part of a cluster of pins with other
> similar wires attached. Those other wires would go to the front of the
> case too, for the power switch, power LED, reset switch, and the hdd
> activity LED. Can you find such a cluster of pins on the motherboard?
>
> Dave

Bret

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 15:35:06 GMT, "NoNewz_is_GoodNewz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have perfect system sounds without this being connected, I have my
>start-up beep.

Lots of mobos have a small speaker onboard for system beeps, so the
connector might still be the case speaker.

NoNewz_is_GoodNewz

Do I need it to be connected? And if so, do you know of any extensions so
it will reach the mobo?

Thanks!

Linda

"Bret" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 15:35:06 GMT, "NoNewz_is_GoodNewz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have perfect system sounds without this being connected, I have my
> >start-up beep.

> Lots of mobos have a small speaker onboard for system beeps, so the
> connector might still be the case speaker.

Bret

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 19:23:38 GMT, "NoNewz_is_GoodNewz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Do I need it to be connected? And if so, do you know of any extensions so
>it will reach the mobo?

You don't need a system beep at all, seeing as you have a beep
already, I see no need to connet the front speaker(assuming that is
what it is)