Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Monitor repair

Monitor repair

Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:29:35 -0000, "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Some CRT's have discrete components driving the 3 RGB guns, it may be a
>short in the green channel. Some have a single IC driving all 3, it may be
>that. It may also be the supply voltage to this area. Finally it may be a
>faulty CRT, especially if it a Philip's type, I keep clear of anything with
>Philip's name on it. I see a lot of Sanyo, Panasonic and obviously Philip's
>own TV's with faulty CRT's, usually just out of warranty!

Some monitors with Samsung CRT's in North America also had very big
CRT problems. I agree with your preliminary diagnosis, Kenny; as well,
it may be worthwhile to post on sci.electronics.repair, with the make,
model, year, and FCC ID. Here's their FAQ, by the way; Kenny, you may
be interested in this, if you aren't aware of it already.

http://www.repairfaq.org

Tom

Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:23:10 -0500, "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>High end?! This model sells for less than $100 (if it sells at all) on Ebay.
>I get calls from cheap SOB's like you about monitor repairs about once a
>month. I always tell them to quit being so cheap and get with the times! You
>REPLACE broken monitors nowadays.
>
>Even most new monitors under warranty will be replaced by manufacturer if
>they ever break in the warranty period!

Sorry, I disagree, and I was in the business until a little over a
year ago. The symptoms he describes may possibly be repaired for less
than $60 US. Why is he cheap for wanting to repair rather than help
with the landfill/pollution problem.

Tom

>"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi folks,
>> Do any of your shop owners out there do monitor repairs?
>>
>> I can't seem to find anyone in my area that does it. *I* sure don't.
>>
>> I've got a high-end 19-in monitor that's out of warranty. Who do I
>> try, TV repair shops or what?
>>

>> Lee
>> Remember Noel in the addy

Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:39:15 -0500, Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:23:10 -0500, "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>High end?! This model sells for less than $100 (if it sells at all) on Ebay.

>I said AT THE TIME it was purchased. It was, at the time, the best
>monitor offered by Dell.
>
>>I get calls from cheap SOB's like you

>I see you're still the same unmitigated asshole, and with a reading
>comprehension problem to boot.
>

>As for the monitor, too many of these things are ending up in
>landfills for want of what may be a simple repair.

Good attitude...thanks, Lee.

Tom

>Lee
>Remember Noel in the addy

Kenny

Another good link for monitor repair:
http://www.anatekcorp.com/faq/monitor.htm
and a more general one:
http://www.avrepair.info/
though this would be mainly for UK products.

--

Kenny

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:29:35 -0000, "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Some CRT's have discrete components driving the 3 RGB guns, it may be a
> >short in the green channel. Some have a single IC driving all 3, it may

be
> >that. It may also be the supply voltage to this area. Finally it may be

> >faulty CRT, especially if it a Philip's type, I keep clear of anything

with
> >Philip's name on it. I see a lot of Sanyo, Panasonic and obviously

Philip's
> >own TV's with faulty CRT's, usually just out of warranty!

> Some monitors with Samsung CRT's in North America also had very big
> CRT problems. I agree with your preliminary diagnosis, Kenny; as well,
> it may be worthwhile to post on sci.electronics.repair, with the make,
> model, year, and FCC ID. Here's their FAQ, by the way; Kenny, you may
> be interested in this, if you aren't aware of it already.
>
> http://www.repairfaq.org
>
> Tom

Lee

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:26:47 -0000, "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Another good link for monitor repair:
>http://www.anatekcorp.com/faq/monitor.htm
>and a more general one:
>http://www.avrepair.info/
>though this would be mainly for UK products.

Thanks, Kenny.

Lee
Remember Noel in the addy

Lee

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:42:51 -0500, "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Spend less time posting in this group ... more time making money to buy a
>replacement monitor ... less time calling service businesses and wasting
>their time!

Just what exactly is your major malfunction?

1. I post a couple of times. You post constantly, trying to start
arguments.
2. It isn't about the money.
3. I hope you treat your customers as you do folks here, you'll be out
of business shortly. I'm betting you won't want to tell us your
business name and location, but I can understand why you'd want to
hide.

Lee
Remember Noel in the addy

Lee

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 20:34:06 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:29:35 -0000, "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Some CRT's have discrete components driving the 3 RGB guns, it may be a
>>short in the green channel. Some have a single IC driving all 3, it may be
>>that. It may also be the supply voltage to this area. Finally it may be a
>>faulty CRT, especially if it a Philip's type, I keep clear of anything with
>>Philip's name on it. I see a lot of Sanyo, Panasonic and obviously Philip's
>>own TV's with faulty CRT's, usually just out of warranty!

>Some monitors with Samsung CRT's in North America also had very big
>CRT problems. I agree with your preliminary diagnosis, Kenny; as well,
>it may be worthwhile to post on sci.electronics.repair, with the make,
>model, year, and FCC ID. Here's their FAQ, by the way; Kenny, you may
>be interested in this, if you aren't aware of it already.
>
>http://www.repairfaq.org
>
>Tom

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate the responses from you and Kenny. Unlike
Techshare the Troll, you seem to know what you're talking about.

Lee
Remember Noel in the addy

techshare

He's talking about a new flat panel monitor .... but if you still wanna be a
total heeb about this ... here is one you could probably get on FleaBay for
a little more than $50! Now, who says I don't help people out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3696

Just saving that last shop you call from the hassle of explaining to you how
unprofitable monitor repair is.
"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 03:23:06 -0500, Navin R. Johnson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:18:31 -0500, Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >First, you do know that you could replace it with a nice new flat screen
> >monitor (KDS XF-9b) for under $200, right?

> This WAS a nice flat screen a couple of years ago. Dell Ultrascan
> P991. It seems to young to have gone bad, and was expensive when I
> bought it.
>

> Lee
> Remember Noel in the addy

Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:05:18 -0500, "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>...and you are full of hops! If they were worth repairing, I wouldn't be
>getting every other cheap ass in town calling me saying "You don't fix
>monitors?! Well who does?! I've called everyone in the book!"

Full of hops or not, I know what I am talking about. I still
participate in some electronics repair tip sharing groups, and, while
they are less profitable than they were (the same is true of most/all
consumer electronics in general), it is still possible to make some
money in this, as is evidenced by the number of group members who
still do this work. You're basing your opinion on one town...yours.
There's a big world out there.

Tom

>"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:23:10 -0500, "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >High end?! This model sells for less than $100 (if it sells at all) on

>Ebay.
>> >I get calls from cheap SOB's like you about monitor repairs about once a
>> >month. I always tell them to quit being so cheap and get with the times!

>You
>> >REPLACE broken monitors nowadays.
>> >
>> >Even most new monitors under warranty will be replaced by manufacturer if
>> >they ever break in the warranty period!

>> Sorry, I disagree, and I was in the business until a little over a
>> year ago. The symptoms he describes may possibly be repaired for less
>> than $60 US. Why is he cheap for wanting to repair rather than help
>> with the landfill/pollution problem.
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> >"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:31:28 -0500, "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>He's talking about a new flat panel monitor .... but if you still wanna be a
>total heeb about this ... here is one you could probably get on FleaBay for
>a little more than $50! Now, who says I don't help people out
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3696

It went for a bit under $103 USD.

Tom