Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > is it worth selling cheap Linux PCs?

is it worth selling cheap Linux PCs?

Joe

Shop owners, service techs,is it worth selling cheap Linux PCs?

Like http://www.cpubuilders.com/

Problem would be the tutoring time to get users comfortable using the easy linux OS

JesseTX

On 2 Nov 2003 03:45:30 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Joe) wrote:

>Shop owners, service techs,is it worth selling cheap Linux PCs?
>
>Like http://www.cpubuilders.com/
>
>Problem would be the tutoring time to get users comfortable using the easy linux OS

I would think it would be a niche market for people who want Linux.
The prices on the web page you linked are OK, but not great. I can go
to someone like Tiger Direct and get a better system with Windows XP
for only $50 more. That's the competition you would be up against.
So again, unless you have someone dead set on going the Linux route,
it would be hard to compete. Even then, a person would be smarter to
buy the better machine for $50 more, and load Linux on it themselves
or even pay someone like you to do it.

RussS

I would have to say no. Not because I am anti Linux, but because if you are
selling PCs you will have 'backup' calls. Those who purchase from you would
probably be newbies and the level of calls would make it dicey as far as
profit margins go.