Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > username and password

username and password

RussS

makes a change when I am halfway on track ... at least it seems that way
some days ... lol

C. Philip Cutler II

Umm not to sound like a ninny, but If the user has lost his password, would
it be safe to assume that he doesn't have the administrators password
either? Cause that would be the first thing that comes to mind of course,
and I have to help users before and they go "Administrators Password??,
what's an Administrator Password?"

Philip

"BiC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bo07kf$59f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi i wonder can anyone help me out.
> a friend is bringing his computer to my house today as he has lost his
> windows password, and he would rather that the whole o/s not be

re-installed
> as he has important files on the putter and it is running perfect anyway
>
> any help would be appreaceted
>
> Rob

techshare

Not a ninny ... but you don't seem very knowledgeable about XP. When you
boot an XP system in safe mode, an "Administrator" account is available by
default. Unless someone has gone in and specifically changed the password on
this account ... it has NO password.
"C. Philip Cutler II" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Umm not to sound like a ninny, but If the user has lost his password,

would
> it be safe to assume that he doesn't have the administrators password
> either? Cause that would be the first thing that comes to mind of course,
> and I have to help users before and they go "Administrators Password??,
> what's an Administrator Password?"
>
> Philip
>

> "BiC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bo07kf$59f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hi i wonder can anyone help me out.
> > a friend is bringing his computer to my house today as he has lost his
> > windows password, and he would rather that the whole o/s not be

> re-installed
> > as he has important files on the putter and it is running perfect anyway
> >
> > any help would be appreaceted
> >
> > Rob

C. Philip Cutler II

Well sorry I'm stuck on 2000 and have never ran into this problem or this
solution. But thanks for the knowledge and the beniefit of your experience.

Philip

"techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not a ninny ... but you don't seem very knowledgeable about XP. When you
> boot an XP system in safe mode, an "Administrator" account is available by
> default. Unless someone has gone in and specifically changed the password

on
> this account ... it has NO password.
> "C. Philip Cutler II" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Umm not to sound like a ninny, but If the user has lost his password,

> would
> > it be safe to assume that he doesn't have the administrators password
> > either? Cause that would be the first thing that comes to mind of

course,
> > and I have to help users before and they go "Administrators Password??,
> > what's an Administrator Password?"
> >
> > Philip
> >

> > "BiC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bo07kf$59f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > hi i wonder can anyone help me out.
> > > a friend is bringing his computer to my house today as he has lost his
> > > windows password, and he would rather that the whole o/s not be

> > re-installed
> > > as he has important files on the putter and it is running perfect

anyway

> > > any help would be appreaceted
> > >
> > > Rob

C. Philip Cutler II

Oh, and i forgot to ask, for more knowledge gain, does it matter between XP
Home and XP Pro? I have only used PRO but does the XP Home have an
Administrator Account?

Thanks

Philip

"techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not a ninny ... but you don't seem very knowledgeable about XP. When you
> boot an XP system in safe mode, an "Administrator" account is available by
> default. Unless someone has gone in and specifically changed the password

on
> this account ... it has NO password.
> "C. Philip Cutler II" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Umm not to sound like a ninny, but If the user has lost his password,

> would
> > it be safe to assume that he doesn't have the administrators password
> > either? Cause that would be the first thing that comes to mind of

course,
> > and I have to help users before and they go "Administrators Password??,
> > what's an Administrator Password?"
> >
> > Philip
> >

> > "BiC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bo07kf$59f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > hi i wonder can anyone help me out.
> > > a friend is bringing his computer to my house today as he has lost his
> > > windows password, and he would rather that the whole o/s not be

> > re-installed
> > > as he has important files on the putter and it is running perfect

anyway

> > > any help would be appreaceted
> > >
> > > Rob

RussS

Sure does.

I think you will find that most unknowledgeable users do not put anything in
when asked for the administrators password when they set things up
themselves and most builders do the same unless they are building for a
specific client.

techshare

<SIGH> FAT32 has nothing to do with this discussion. Does anyone in here
know WTF they are talking about ... besides Russ and I?

PS. You can read NTFS partitions with a utility that will run in DOS!
However formatting with FAT32 certainly has its merits. Still, this has
nothing to do with Windows user accounts and getting "locked" out of your
own system.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you would stick with FAT32 partitions you wouldn't have these
> "security" problems and you could always get at your files, even if you
> could not start Windows, by putting the drive on another machine. Now
> I'm not denying that security has it's place. But it's place is not
> "everyplace".
>

> techshare wrote:
>
> > geezus!!! nine replies ... and only one was on track (from RussS). Boot

the
> > machine in safe mode, logon as administrator. From here, you can change

the
> > passwords, etc.
> > "BiC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bo07kf$59f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>hi i wonder can anyone help me out.
> >>a friend is bringing his computer to my house today as he has lost his
> >>windows password, and he would rather that the whole o/s not be

> > re-installed
> >
> >>as he has important files on the putter and it is running perfect anyway
> >>
> >>any help would be appreaceted
> >>
> >>Rob

techshare

Hey jack*ss... I sent him a USEFUL reply. WTF do goofs like you do ...
besides send back USELESS posts like this one!? Do us all a favor ... and
the next time someone asks a good question like this ... post a reply that
they can USE. This would be as opposed to the other jack*ss who told him to
download a brute force password hacker!!! I'm not the only one who has
pointed out that there are a bunch of idiots in this group. Take your arm
off the chair, armchair quarterback (wannabe)!
"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Rgbqb.1628$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > <SIGH> FAT32 has nothing to do with this discussion. Does anyone in

> here
> > know WTF they are talking about ... besides Russ and I?

> Boot
> > the

> change
> > the

> Consider that if the Admin password was set than the Safe Mode trick
> will not work. You are right in that it should be a first step to check.
> RussS has some very good answers, you have some good answers and a poor
> attitude that discredits your responses and makes you appear as a
> borderline Troll.
> Good Day.

R.A.D.

I'm with you, it is obvious with his last response what we are dealing with.
"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsBjqb.2712$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Would you like some cheese with that whine?
> His options had been spelled out by the time I replied. You could have
> only replied with the Admin option instead of your pointless dig at
> others. It does absolutely nothing to credit yourself. As I stated you
> have had SOME good advice and a lot of dribble, but then again you have
> likely been told that a number of times and still refuse to believe it.
> Do a search for some of the advice Goofs like me provide. I may not post
> often in this group, but when I have the time I try and provide accurate
> answers. I will be up front and admit that on occasion I get a little
> testy, am sometimes off base, but Dicks like you we can live without.
>
> "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey jack*ss... I sent him a USEFUL reply. WTF do goofs like you do ...
> > besides send back USELESS posts like this one!? Do us all a favor ...

> and
> > the next time someone asks a good question like this ... post a reply

> that
> > they can USE. This would be as opposed to the other jack*ss who told

> him to
> > download a brute force password hacker!!! I'm not the only one who has
> > pointed out that there are a bunch of idiots in this group. Take your

> arm
> > off the chair, armchair quarterback (wannabe)!
> > "Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Rgbqb.1628$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> > >
> > > "techshare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> in
> > > here

> RussS).
> > > Boot

> can
> > > change
> > > Consider that if the Admin password was set than the Safe Mode trick
> > > will not work. You are right in that it should be a first step to

> check.
> > > RussS has some very good answers, you have some good answers and a

> poor
> > > attitude that discredits your responses and makes you appear as a
> > > borderline Troll.
> > > Good Day.

BiC

thanks guys got it sorted.
got access from administrator account and fixed it that way