Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Mac Security vs. Windows Security

Re: Mac Security vs. Windows Security

Ghost

In article <OHfnb.6471$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I've heard people say that Macs are more inherently secure than Windows
> boxes because the Mac OS is better designed than a Windows OS and allows
> fewer security flaws. On the other hand, I've heard it said that the only
> reason that Macs are less prone to viruses and other hostile code is because
> nobody wastes their time trying to defeat Macs; it would be a waste of time
> attempting to attack so few computers.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
>
> smackedass

Actually, it is a combination of both. Macs ARE tougher to write code
for, and also do not have the inherent flaws M$ has- and also fewer people
try.

Keep this in mind- there are a TON of script kiddies out there. These are
not true hackers- they are wannabe's using someone elses executable code
to defeat M$ or Unix systems. They do not have the skillset to actually
do anything themselves.

That leaves the real hackers out there who actually CAN do things. Most
of them know nothing of Mac programming- so therefore are not effective
against Macs. The few that can code for Mac find it very difficult to
exploit whatever flaws they might find- and there are damned few of them
compared to M$.

The above is not as true for Macs OSX which is Unix based.