Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Multimeter Recommendation ?? (NOT Fluke)

Re: Multimeter Recommendation ?? (NOT Fluke)

SStevie-S

Check out ebay. There are a lot of good deals there, if you go to a home
center, they are fairly expensive.
<Keith> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking for a cheap but not too cheap multimeter that has the
> basics:
>
> - DC/AC/Current/Resistance
>
> - extra leads so that I have a choice of pins or alligator clips and
> also small pin leads that will allow me to test RJ45 pins - this may
> be available as a kit ??
>
> - one that does not have a shirt-button size battery that craps out
> after 2 months. Best of all would be two AAA batteries, or two
> Nickel-sized buttons
>
> - one whose max current is at least 1-2 amps (some cheapos aloow a max
> of only 200 mA for measurement).
>
> - a dial that is clearly marked - some cheapies have tiny, barely
> distinguishable markings.
>
> Fluke's are great, but I don;t need great. I see a ton of other
> meters out there that range from $9.99 to $39.99 and up. I am
> thinking of spending about $30 to $40.
>
> Any recommendations?

JS

I like my Scope DVM-630. It has all the basic functions, and the probes are
on separate leads that plug in; it runs on a 9v battery; but the leads
included aren't small enough for RJ-45, and don't include alligator clips.
but you can always buy separate leads with alligator clips on both ends, and
use those as extensions. i've never seen a DVM (digital volt-ohm-amp meter)
with built-in alligator clips. I bought my Scope probably in the late
1980's...

js.

news:vGcnb.11888$(E-Mail Removed)...