Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Opinion About Total Recall Study Guides

Reply
Thread Tools

Opinion About Total Recall Study Guides

 
 
JesseTX
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2003
I am preparing to take my A+ certification tests in a few weeks. I
have already studied Mike Meyers All in One A+ Certification Exam
Guide. It seems like an excellent book for preparation.

I purchased two vouchers from Total Recall, and they come packaged
with their own exam guides. I have gone through all the practice
exams that come on the CD with the Mike Meyers book. Looking for more
test questions, I am now going through the ones that come with the
Total Recall guides.

I am finding a lot of questions that seem faulty, and others that are
very poorly written. Here are some examples:

"You need to configure your hard drive. Which command can you use to
create the boot record to make it bootable (chose all that apply)?

A. Fdisk
B. Boot/r
C. Format S/E/V
D. Sys
E. Copy/f"

My answer would be A. According to the guide, the correct answer is C
& D. What??? I can't even find reference to an "E" switch for the
format command. I know the "sys" command or "format" with the "s"
switch will transfer the system files to a disk, but does that create
the "boot record"? I assume the question refers to the master book
record, which is created by fdisk.

"You are setting up a networked Windows 9X PC with files and print
sharing enabled. Your computer can be seen in Network Neighborhood,
but no one can connect to your resources. What is the cause?

A. You have not shared any directories.
B. Shared directories are password protected.
C. Other computers are using the ROM protocol.
D. Other computers do not have file and print sharing enabled.
E. The network computers have incompatible hard drives."

My answer would be A. According to the guide the correct answer is D.
This didn't seem right to me. I know if you don't have file and print
sharing enabled, then no one can see YOU in Network Neighborhood. But
if THEY don't have file and print sharing enbaled, they can still see
YOU. To prove my theory I did it with two computers on my home
network. When I turned off file and print sharing on one, it was
still able to see other computers on the network AND access their
resources.

"After installing Windows 98 on your computer, you discover that you
are unable to browse the network. You confirm that Client for
Microsoft Windows is installed. What should you check next?

A. Enable file and print sharing.
B. Verify the workstation's IP address.
C. Enable Browsing Services in the control panel.
D. Enable NetBIOS support.
E. Ping the server"

My answer would be E. This would verify that your NIC card and the
cables to the server are good anyway. The guide says A is the correct
answer. Again, what the heck does file and print sharing have to do
with being able to browse the network in this case?

Here is an example of one of the poorly worded questions they give:

"You need to perform a typical installation of a peripheral. You need
to remove the blanking plate of the slot. Which of the following
should have been done before this step (choose all that apply)?

A. Power off the PC
B. Remove the main power cord
C. Take ESD precautions
D. Remove the system case cover
E. Locate the appropriate slot"

My answer would be all BUT remove the main power cord. The guide
answer is all (A - E). I understand the answer, but if B had said
UNPLUG the main power cord, I would chose that also. When it says
REMOVE the main power cord, I read it to mean remove it from the PC.
Again, logic dictates that with all the other steps, of course you
would unplug the power cord, but to me REMOVE is a poor choice of a
word to use.

I haven't actually read the Total Recall study guides. I had planned
to read certain areas of them after taking all practice exams I could
find, to brush up on any weak areas. But after starting on the tests,
and seeing the quality of them, I'm not sure I want to read the
guides. If the quality of the tests are any indication of the quality
of the guides, then it may hurt more than help to read them.

Anyway, just wanted to make this post to let anyone considering using
the Total Recall study guides know of the problems I have found with
their material.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Simon Telrenner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2003
Answers inline

>"You need to configure your hard drive. Which command can you use to
> create the boot record to make it bootable (chose all that apply)?
>
> A. Fdisk
> B. Boot/r
> C. Format S/E/V
> D. Sys
> E. Copy/f"
>
> My answer would be A. According to the guide, the correct answer is C
> & D. What??? I can't even find reference to an "E" switch for the
> format command. I know the "sys" command or "format" with the "s"
> switch will transfer the system files to a disk, but does that create
> the "boot record"? I assume the question refers to the master book
> record, which is created by fdisk.


you are wrong on this one, fdisk will not make the hard drive bootable.

> "You are setting up a networked Windows 9X PC with files and print
> sharing enabled. Your computer can be seen in Network Neighborhood,
> but no one can connect to your resources. What is the cause?
>
> A. You have not shared any directories.
> B. Shared directories are password protected.
> C. Other computers are using the ROM protocol.
> D. Other computers do not have file and print sharing enabled.
> E. The network computers have incompatible hard drives."
>
> My answer would be A. According to the guide the correct answer is D.
> This didn't seem right to me. I know if you don't have file and print
> sharing enabled, then no one can see YOU in Network Neighborhood. But
> if THEY don't have file and print sharing enbaled, they can still see
> YOU. To prove my theory I did it with two computers on my home
> network. When I turned off file and print sharing on one, it was
> still able to see other computers on the network AND access their
> resources.
>

My answer would be none of the above, however D would be more right than
some of the others.

> "After installing Windows 98 on your computer, you discover that you
> are unable to browse the network. You confirm that Client for
> Microsoft Windows is installed. What should you check next?
>
> A. Enable file and print sharing.
> B. Verify the workstation's IP address.
> C. Enable Browsing Services in the control panel.
> D. Enable NetBIOS support.
> E. Ping the server"
>
> My answer would be E. This would verify that your NIC card and the
> cables to the server are good anyway. The guide says A is the correct
> answer. Again, what the heck does file and print sharing have to do
> with being able to browse the network in this case?


Actually, the first thing I would do is B. Always check the easiest stuff
first.

> "You need to perform a typical installation of a peripheral. You need
> to remove the blanking plate of the slot. Which of the following
> should have been done before this step (choose all that apply)?
>
> A. Power off the PC
> B. Remove the main power cord
> C. Take ESD precautions
> D. Remove the system case cover
> E. Locate the appropriate slot"
>
> My answer would be all BUT remove the main power cord. The guide
> answer is all (A - E). I understand the answer, but if B had said
> UNPLUG the main power cord, I would chose that also. When it says
> REMOVE the main power cord, I read it to mean remove it from the PC.
> Again, logic dictates that with all the other steps, of course you
> would unplug the power cord, but to me REMOVE is a poor choice of a
> word to use.


Maybe, but to me unplug and remove are the same thing. If you would unplug
it, why wouldn't you remove it?

Other than that, I have never used total recall, so I can't really comment
on that. One thing though, I don't remember the real test having any real
trick questions on it, so if you can figure them out here, you are probably
better.

--
Kendal R. Emery, MCSE, Network+, A+, MCNGP #19
Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
remove me to email to me


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JesseTX
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2003
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:49:45 -0600, "Simon Telrenner" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Answers inline
>
>>"You need to configure your hard drive. Which command can you use to
>> create the boot record to make it bootable (chose all that apply)?
>>
>> A. Fdisk
>> B. Boot/r
>> C. Format S/E/V
>> D. Sys
>> E. Copy/f"
>>
>> My answer would be A. According to the guide, the correct answer is C
>> & D. What??? I can't even find reference to an "E" switch for the
>> format command. I know the "sys" command or "format" with the "s"
>> switch will transfer the system files to a disk, but does that create
>> the "boot record"? I assume the question refers to the master book
>> record, which is created by fdisk.

>
>you are wrong on this one, fdisk will not make the hard drive bootable.


You are right of course. What threw me off with this question was the
part about creating the boot record. Fdisk does create the Master
Boot Record. But format creates the Volume Boot Sector. So it is
still a screwy question. Since you don't know the beginning point for
the question, newly bought and installed hard drive or one that has
already been partitioned, So, the most correct answer would be A, C,
and D. BUT since Fdisk can't make it bootable by ITSELF, I guess
their logic is that A is not a correct choice. HOWEVER, running sys
(answer D) by itself would not work if it wasn't formated either.
Before you can format it, it must be partitioned. So it's a faulty
question, and I hope I don't see these type on the real test.

>
>> "You are setting up a networked Windows 9X PC with files and print
>> sharing enabled. Your computer can be seen in Network Neighborhood,
>> but no one can connect to your resources. What is the cause?
>>
>> A. You have not shared any directories.
>> B. Shared directories are password protected.
>> C. Other computers are using the ROM protocol.
>> D. Other computers do not have file and print sharing enabled.
>> E. The network computers have incompatible hard drives."
>>
>> My answer would be A. According to the guide the correct answer is D.
>> This didn't seem right to me. I know if you don't have file and print
>> sharing enabled, then no one can see YOU in Network Neighborhood. But
>> if THEY don't have file and print sharing enbaled, they can still see
>> YOU. To prove my theory I did it with two computers on my home
>> network. When I turned off file and print sharing on one, it was
>> still able to see other computers on the network AND access their
>> resources.
>>

>My answer would be none of the above, however D would be more right than
>some of the others.


I still don't see the logic in D. Again, I tried this at home and
having file and print sharing DISABLED on the "client" or "guest"
computer didn't affect its ability to access resoources on the "host"
computer that did have file and print sharing enabled.

>Other than that, I have never used total recall, so I can't really comment
>on that. One thing though, I don't remember the real test having any real
>trick questions on it, so if you can figure them out here, you are probably
>better.


I hope so Thanks for the input Simon.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jesse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2003
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:49:45 -0600, "Simon Telrenner" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

I forgot to comment on this one (see below)

>> "You need to perform a typical installation of a peripheral. You need
>> to remove the blanking plate of the slot. Which of the following
>> should have been done before this step (choose all that apply)?
>>
>> A. Power off the PC
>> B. Remove the main power cord
>> C. Take ESD precautions
>> D. Remove the system case cover
>> E. Locate the appropriate slot"
>>
>> My answer would be all BUT remove the main power cord. The guide
>> answer is all (A - E). I understand the answer, but if B had said
>> UNPLUG the main power cord, I would chose that also. When it says
>> REMOVE the main power cord, I read it to mean remove it from the PC.
>> Again, logic dictates that with all the other steps, of course you
>> would unplug the power cord, but to me REMOVE is a poor choice of a
>> word to use.

>
>Maybe, but to me unplug and remove are the same thing. If you would unplug
>it, why wouldn't you remove it?
>


OK, can't really argue with that. Logic would dictate that you would
remove it after you unplug it as it makes the PC easy to work with not
having to drag the cord around I was just thinking there would be
no NEED to remove it, assuming you unplugged it of course.

But logic isn't built into the Total Recall questions. Here is a good
example of another one that shows this:

"Which precautions must you take when installing a video card with
on-board memory?

A. Unplug the PC
B. Flash the BIOS
C. Use an ESD strap.
D. Leave the power on.
E. Disconnect the monitor."

I picked A, C and E. Their answer is A & C only. So I'm thinking,
how the heck are you gonna replace the video card with a cable from
the monitor plugged into the back of it? But I guess the key word
here is "PRECAUTIONS". Unplugging the PC (or removing the power cord
if you wish) and using an ESD wrist strap are precautions.
Disconnecting the monitor is just something you will have to do to get
the card out, or at least to connect it to the new card. They use
these play on words a lot in their tests, I guess it will keep me on
my toes anyway
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Allitcertkiller.com study guides are better than Realexamquestions.com study guides loyola MCSE 33 07-21-2006 03:12 AM
Allitcertkiller.com study guides are better than Realexamquestions.com study guides loyola Microsoft Certification 39 07-21-2006 03:12 AM
Allitcertkiller.com study guides are better than Realexamquestions.com study guides loyola Microsoft Certification 0 06-26-2006 03:25 PM



Advertisments