Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > DEAD HARD DRIVE Problem

DEAD HARD DRIVE Problem

Tony

I have an attorney client of mine who had a quick power outtage. All computers came back up except
one. Of course, that one had some stuff that wasnt backed up (though they thought it was). I was
called in and I saw that the drive does not spin at all, so there is no power.

It is a Western Digital WD400 HD. Should it work if I got an identical drive and replace the circuit
board on the drive? I would think it would. At the least, it should spin but there is no guarantee
that the data is still intact. But, first things first.

I see that there are different versions of the same drive out there. .... Some have WD400AB and
some are WD400BB. I need the AB one.

Tony

Barry Watzman

Sometimes you can start a non-rotating hard drive by holding it in your
hand and giving it a quick "radial snap". This is hard to describe, but
I've done it quite a few times. You want a sudden, "snap" rotary motion
around the axis of the spindle. I wish I could describe it, but I don't
know a good way to do so.

I'm not sure if changing the PC Board will work or not. Some drives
have data stored in memory on the PCB which is specific to that
particular drive and which was put there by the factory during the mfgr.
process. I'd call WD on that one. Of course, the motor itself is not
on the PCB.

Tony wrote:
> I have an attorney client of mine who had a quick power outtage. All computers came back up except
> one. Of course, that one had some stuff that wasnt backed up (though they thought it was). I was
> called in and I saw that the drive does not spin at all, so there is no power.
>
> It is a Western Digital WD400 HD. Should it work if I got an identical drive and replace the circuit
> board on the drive? I would think it would. At the least, it should spin but there is no guarantee
> that the data is still intact. But, first things first.
>
> I see that there are different versions of the same drive out there. .... Some have WD400AB and
> some are WD400BB. I need the AB one.
>
> Tony

Jerry

You can sometimes get a hard drive to work for a short time by putting it in
the freezer. I was told this on the tv show techtv and it worked for me.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sometimes you can start a non-rotating hard drive by holding it in your
> hand and giving it a quick "radial snap". This is hard to describe, but
> I've done it quite a few times. You want a sudden, "snap" rotary motion
> around the axis of the spindle. I wish I could describe it, but I don't
> know a good way to do so.
>
> I'm not sure if changing the PC Board will work or not. Some drives
> have data stored in memory on the PCB which is specific to that
> particular drive and which was put there by the factory during the mfgr.
> process. I'd call WD on that one. Of course, the motor itself is not
> on the PCB.
>
> Tony wrote:
> > I have an attorney client of mine who had a quick power outtage. All

computers came back up except
> > one. Of course, that one had some stuff that wasnt backed up (though

they thought it was). I was
> > called in and I saw that the drive does not spin at all, so there is no

power.

> > It is a Western Digital WD400 HD. Should it work if I got an identical

drive and replace the circuit
> > board on the drive? I would think it would. At the least, it should

spin but there is no guarantee
> > that the data is still intact. But, first things first.
> >
> > I see that there are different versions of the same drive out there.

..... Some have WD400AB and
> > some are WD400BB. I need the AB one.
> >
> > Tony

Tony

Would this work for a hard drive that is completely power-free? It isnt as if the drive starts and
clicks or is unreadable. There is no spin or any power at all.

Tony

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:51:22 GMT, "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You can sometimes get a hard drive to work for a short time by putting it in
>the freezer. I was told this on the tv show techtv and it worked for me.
>"Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sometimes you can start a non-rotating hard drive by holding it in your
>> hand and giving it a quick "radial snap". This is hard to describe, but
>> I've done it quite a few times. You want a sudden, "snap" rotary motion
>> around the axis of the spindle. I wish I could describe it, but I don't
>> know a good way to do so.
>>
>> I'm not sure if changing the PC Board will work or not. Some drives
>> have data stored in memory on the PCB which is specific to that
>> particular drive and which was put there by the factory during the mfgr.
>> process. I'd call WD on that one. Of course, the motor itself is not
>> on the PCB.
>>
>> Tony wrote:
>> > I have an attorney client of mine who had a quick power outtage. All

>computers came back up except
>> > one. Of course, that one had some stuff that wasnt backed up (though

>they thought it was). I was
>> > called in and I saw that the drive does not spin at all, so there is no

>power.
>> >
>> > It is a Western Digital WD400 HD. Should it work if I got an identical

>drive and replace the circuit
>> > board on the drive? I would think it would. At the least, it should

>spin but there is no guarantee
>> > that the data is still intact. But, first things first.
>> >
>> > I see that there are different versions of the same drive out there.

>.... Some have WD400AB and
>> > some are WD400BB. I need the AB one.
>> >
>> > Tony

Simon Telrenner

I would make sure he understands that the data has a real good chance of
never being recovered, and that anything you do to the drive, could in fact
excaserbate (sp?) that problem. As he is an attorney, i would cover my ass
good on that one. Then if he says go ahead, you have a chance to experiment
with some different things. I doubt the freezer thing would work,
especially if the computer has been off for a while, and still doesn't come
up, but hey, it is easy and doesn't cost anything to try. The circuit board
thing may or may not work because of people said here, but if you have
another drive, might be worth checking. You might also check the circuit
board very carefully around the power input, to see if there might be some
sign of a damaged part, and then try to replace that. Might take some
careful soldering.

Western Digital probably won't be much help, but hey, can't hurt to call.

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
remove me to email to me
"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an attorney client of mine who had a quick power outtage. All

computers came back up except
> one. Of course, that one had some stuff that wasnt backed up (though they

thought it was). I was
> called in and I saw that the drive does not spin at all, so there is no

power.

> It is a Western Digital WD400 HD. Should it work if I got an identical

drive and replace the circuit
> board on the drive? I would think it would. At the least, it should spin

but there is no guarantee
> that the data is still intact. But, first things first.
>
> I see that there are different versions of the same drive out there. ....

Some have WD400AB and
> some are WD400BB. I need the AB one.
>
> Tony

Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:23:36 GMT, Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

>I have an attorney client of mine who had a quick power outtage. All computers came back up except
>one. Of course, that one had some stuff that wasnt backed up (though they thought it was). I was
>called in and I saw that the drive does not spin at all, so there is no power.
>
>It is a Western Digital WD400 HD. Should it work if I got an identical drive and replace the circuit
>board on the drive? I would think it would. At the least, it should spin but there is no guarantee
>that the data is still intact. But, first things first.
>
>I see that there are different versions of the same drive out there. .... Some have WD400AB and
>some are WD400BB. I need the AB one.
>
>Tony

Get an electronics tech to see if there are any open fuses on the HDD
power inputs.

Tom

Tony

The connectors have power (12v gnd gnd 5v)

BUT.. there is no power where there are 4 other connectors are *that actually connect to the circuit
board). So, something is blown along the way. I really need to get ahold of an identical drive's
circuit board. That is my best bet.

Tony

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:25:58 GMT, Tom MacIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:23:36 GMT, Tony <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:
>
>>I have an attorney client of mine who had a quick power outtage. All computers came back up except
>>one. Of course, that one had some stuff that wasnt backed up (though they thought it was). I was
>>called in and I saw that the drive does not spin at all, so there is no power.
>>
>>It is a Western Digital WD400 HD. Should it work if I got an identical drive and replace the circuit
>>board on the drive? I would think it would. At the least, it should spin but there is no guarantee
>>that the data is still intact. But, first things first.
>>
>>I see that there are different versions of the same drive out there. .... Some have WD400AB and
>>some are WD400BB. I need the AB one.
>>
>>Tony

>Get an electronics tech to see if there are any open fuses on the HDD
>power inputs.
>
>Tom

Tony

I am going to buy an identical drive as you suggested. I only need to borrow the circuit board for
an hour. The attorney does not want the drive back, just the data. So, once I access it, I can burn
the data to cdr and then replace the circuit board on the new drive. It will be brand new and I can
always use it or sell it. The drive will have 0 hours on it.

Tony

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:10:43 -0400, "Glenn \(SBfan2000\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I dought the replacing the circuit board would help since it contains info
>about the drive and its platters! I once tried to remove the platters and
>place them in a new drive (same model) and it worked! (I still have that
>drive laying around somewhere, it was a 106MB drive!) However that was long
>ago when the platters where big and there were only two or three! Todays
>drives can have more than that and one small mistake, a scratch,
>fingerprint, of dust can ruin the platters! A piece of dust would be like a
>mountain to the read heads! Plus I havn't opened a drive in years, things
>use to be held together with screws but todays manufactures use alot of
>fasteners that are not easily removable! It would certainly take alot of
>skill and luck! If the attorney is willing to spend the money I would buy
>an identical drive and try replacing the circuit board (first test the
>existing) and if that doesn't work you can try more drastice measures!
>
>Glenn
>"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Would this work for a hard drive that is completely power-free? It isnt

>as if the drive starts and
>> clicks or is unreadable. There is no spin or any power at all.
>>
>> Tony
>>

>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:51:22 GMT, "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >You can sometimes get a hard drive to work for a short time by putting it

>in
>> >the freezer. I was told this on the tv show techtv and it worked for me.
>> >"Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>but

>motion

>don't

>mfgr.

>> >computers came back up except
>> >they thought it was). I was

>no
>> >power.

>identical
>> >drive and replace the circuit
>> >spin but there is no guarantee

>> >.... Some have WD400AB and

Barry Watzman

This drive should be cheap, $20 to $40.

In the WD drive series, the "AB" drives are the econcomy drives (very
slow access times), the "BB" are the standard 7200 RPM drives, and the
"JB" are the premium "special edition" drives. The drive that you have
is the lowest end drive that they make, and only 40 gigs. You may have
a hard time finding a new one. But on E-Bay, you might find a "dead"
drive for $1 or $2 which will probably have a perfectly good circuit board.

Understand that, as noted previously, this entire approach may not work,
but if you are out of other suggestions, it's worth trying.

Tony wrote:

> I am going to buy an identical drive as you suggested. I only need to borrow the circuit board for
> an hour. The attorney does not want the drive back, just the data. So, once I access it, I can burn
> the data to cdr and then replace the circuit board on the new drive. It will be brand new and I can
> always use it or sell it. The drive will have 0 hours on it.
>
> Tony
>

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:10:43 -0400, "Glenn \(SBfan2000\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I dought the replacing the circuit board would help since it contains info
>>about the drive and its platters! I once tried to remove the platters and
>>place them in a new drive (same model) and it worked! (I still have that
>>drive laying around somewhere, it was a 106MB drive!) However that was long
>>ago when the platters where big and there were only two or three! Todays
>>drives can have more than that and one small mistake, a scratch,
>>fingerprint, of dust can ruin the platters! A piece of dust would be like a
>>mountain to the read heads! Plus I havn't opened a drive in years, things
>>use to be held together with screws but todays manufactures use alot of
>>fasteners that are not easily removable! It would certainly take alot of
>>skill and luck! If the attorney is willing to spend the money I would buy
>>an identical drive and try replacing the circuit board (first test the
>>existing) and if that doesn't work you can try more drastice measures!
>>
>>Glenn
>>"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>>>Would this work for a hard drive that is completely power-free? It isnt

>>as if the drive starts and
>>
>>>clicks or is unreadable. There is no spin or any power at all.
>>>
>>>Tony

>>in

>>but

>>motion

>>don't

>>mfgr.

>>no

>>identical

Ghost

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have an attorney client of mine who had a quick power outtage. All

computers came back up except
> one. Of course, that one had some stuff that wasnt backed up (though

they thought it was). I was
> called in and I saw that the drive does not spin at all, so there is no

power.

> It is a Western Digital WD400 HD. Should it work if I got an identical

drive and replace the circuit
> board on the drive? I would think it would. At the least, it should

spin but there is no guarantee
> that the data is still intact. But, first things first.
>
> I see that there are different versions of the same drive out there.

..... Some have WD400AB and
> some are WD400BB. I need the AB one.
>
> Tony

Yes, if you get the EXACT same controller card, it should spin up,
providing the existing controller card is at fault...