Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Newbuild PC Problem

Newbuild PC Problem

Hill Street Blues

In article <bmuisq$8rc$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> "Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >>>

> > In fact the HDD is
> > formatting and partitioning as I write this.
> > >>>

> > Did you use fdisk to format and partition your HDD, then install xp from
> > cdrom? If you used fdisk to format and partition your hdd, you may as

> well
> > use fdisk to install win xp if you cannot install from cdrom.
> >

> Many thanks to all who have posted ideas.
>
> It did not let me get that far! Now it hangs at the "Verify DMI DataPool"
> message on the boot. Besides the keyboard ( have tried a new and old one)
> fails to initialise, so I cannot even get into the Bios to change/check
> setting!
> This is why I am sure its the mobo, the HDD has been successfully formatted,
> partitioned in another pc! The new Keyboard works on another PC. I have not
> used the RAM in another PC but it recognises it fine on post!!
>
> In answer to previous thoughts...the Windows is legit....the CD and cdrom
> works fine.
>
> Any more thoughts????
>
> Cheers Matty

I think your prognosis is correct, and these types of problems can be
the most vexing of any computer problem we will ever encounter.
Besides my everyday computer repairs for customers, I have been working
my way through 7 pallets(aprox 100 CPU's) of used late model DELL Towers
and Desktops that I bought at auction several months ago. Aprox 5-6 out
of the 75 or so I have checked so far, have exhibited the same "symptoms"
you have described here.

I was wondering how you would take it when I asked about the Windows XP
CD and whether it was legit or not, but you handled it good, not getting
defensive, and keeping an open mind.

When I made the reference to Software dialing out, and checking with
servers, as to verify the product or legality of the installation, I knew
I would ruffle someones feathers, but this is hardly a new concept or
Technology in the world of Software.

It was first developed and used by a company called Sausage Software, way
back in 1996. Since then, it has been utilised by many other companies
that distribute software. At that time, thier famous "Hot Dog" Web Page
creation software had become one of the most pirated pieces of software
around. During Installation, the software would "look" for an active
connection to the internet and then furtively connect in the background
and completely disable the program if it found invalid registration info.

There are actually a number of commercial software programs available in
free "demo" versions today that when "patched" are programmed to set in
motion a domino-like wrath of destruction, on every .com or .exe file on
your computer. One very popular cd-labeling program, comes to mind.

I can't "prove" this, anymore than I can prove that the girders in a
skyscraper are actually composed of swirling electrons. It's just
something I know.

But, this is way beyond the scope of the original post, so I will stop
here.
I wish you luck, and let us know how things turn out.

Matty

Thanks for the reply...but...

I cannot get into the bios because the keyboard fails to
initialise..therefore no keys work.

Matty

"JAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:M8Dkb.4363$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> PNP OS installed to NO
> reset configuration DATA to yes
>
> in the bios
>

> "Matty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:bmrkik$8rt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am just building a new PC: Athlon XP2400+, 120GB Maxtor HDD, 256DDR,
> > Gigabyte GA-7DXE Mobo, Abit 128Mb Gf4.
> > On first boot, the machine recognised all the components perfectly.
> > All went well in installing Windows XP Pro, until the blue screen said

press
> > enter to install windows.
> > Thne nothing was happening, no keyboard lights, no response from the

screen.
> > It had definately hung.
> > So I pressed reset, and now the pc wont get past the Verifying DMI

DataPool
> > line on boot up. It hangs there before the screen to say its booting

from
> > CD.
> > When I disconnect the HDD ribbon cable, the PC will start to boot from

the
> > CDROM, paast the Verifying DMI DataPool message, until we get to the

press
> > enter to install windows.
> > I have tried another keyboard...same thing. I have tried both the new
> > keyboard and HDD in my other PC and they are fine. In fact the HDD is
> > formatting and partitioning as I write this.
> > So what can be wrong? Motherboard?
> > Any tips or ideas please most appreciated. If you think as I do its the

mobo
> > tits then please confirm!!
> >
> > MAny thanks in advance
> >
> > Matty

Matty

Jad

Thanks for the tip...I never knew about the floppy. And I dont have a USB
k/b.
Anyway did that and still no luck. Keyboard still refuses to work, although
when I press the power switch I noticed the lights on the k/board
illuminate. After the Detecting IDE devices, I got a "CMOS checksum error -
Defaults loaded" message, trying to press del to enter the bios
failed....... i.e. keyboard dead.
Does this mean the bios is u/s?? What reading I have found suggests so.

Any thoughts

Matty

"JAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IgEkb.4445$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> yikes USB keyboard.....? reset bios through jumper and unplugging...1

minute or more undo the floppy from the controller on
> the MB
>

> "Matty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:bmv2in$as3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for the reply...but...
> >
> > I cannot get into the bios because the keyboard fails to
> > initialise..therefore no keys work.
> >
> > Matty
> >
> > "JAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:M8Dkb.4363$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > > PNP OS installed to NO
> > > reset configuration DATA to yes
> > >
> > > in the bios
> > >

> > > "Matty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > news:bmrkik$8rt$(E-Mail Removed)...

256DDR,

said
> > press

> > screen.

> > DataPool

> > from

from
> > the

the
> > press

new

is

the
> > mobo

Raymond

I cannot get into the bios because the keyboard fails to
initialise..therefore no keys work.

I don't know what the problem is, but if you just want to install the damn
window xp try this:

Popup window 98 startup disk into your A drive. At the boot, press delete
to go to cmos and select first boot device at floppy drive, save and get
out. Now, it should bootup fine with no prompt like boot from cd keeps
staring at u. A menu will popup during the boot process, pop your xp cd in
and choose boot with cd support on the menu. It will take a while for the
programs to load from floppy and cd, but eventually it will stop at an A:
prompt. If your HDD already partitioned and formatted, then you are ready
to install win xp. type D: then press enter to see if your cdrom is your
cdrom drive, then type in dir, if you see from the top if D: is a
MS-ramdrive. If D: is your ramdrive, then your cdrom drive is probably
drive E:. Type E: press enter, then dir to verify. If E: is your cdrom
drive, then you should see a dirtory call i386 when you type dir at the E:
prompt. Then, type cd i386 press enter, this should take to the i386 dir,
then type in winnt press enter. A blue window should popup asking for
smartdrive inorder to install window xp, choose install window without
smartdrive support, then just keep enters to install windows. Hope this
works, but if it does, installing window this way is extremely slow.

Simon Telrenner

I am leaning towards defective motherboard. I haven't had much experience
with Gigabyte, but that's what I suspect. If you bought it locally, take it
back and see what they say. If you bought it on line, email them or call
them. This might take some time.

In the meantime, you might look around for another motherboard, if you want
this one fairly quick.

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
(E-Mail Removed)
remove me to email to me
"Matty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bmv5vn$cdu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jad
>
> Thanks for the tip...I never knew about the floppy. And I dont have a USB
> k/b.
> Anyway did that and still no luck. Keyboard still refuses to work,

although
> when I press the power switch I noticed the lights on the k/board
> illuminate. After the Detecting IDE devices, I got a "CMOS checksum

error -
> Defaults loaded" message, trying to press del to enter the bios
> failed....... i.e. keyboard dead.
> Does this mean the bios is u/s?? What reading I have found suggests so.
>
> Any thoughts
>
> Matty
>
> "JAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IgEkb.4445$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > yikes USB keyboard.....? reset bios through jumper and

unplugging...1
> minute or more undo the floppy from the controller on
> > the MB
> >

> > "Matty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:bmv2in$as3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks for the reply...but...
> > >
> > > I cannot get into the bios because the keyboard fails to
> > > initialise..therefore no keys work.
> > >
> > > Matty
> > >
> > > "JAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:M8Dkb.4363$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> > > news:bmrkik$8rt$(E-Mail Removed)...

> 256DDR,

perfectly.

> said
> > > press

the
> > > screen.
> > > DataPool

booting
> > > from

> from
> > > the

> the
> > > press

> new

> is

its
> the
> > > mobo

RussS

Had a similar case recently where there was a stand-out in the wrong place
and that shorted the guys brand new MoBo on the circuit that handles the
keyboard. Have also seen it with one of our techs rebuilding a machine and
the MoBo was faulty straight out of the box - flashed the keyboard lights
and that was about it.

Hill Street Blues

says...

"Never Wrestle with a Pig,
You'll both get Dirty and the Pig will Love it!"

Matty

Hi again

Well I have fully functioned all the components in another PC, keyboard,
hdd, mouse, cdrom, floppy, etc etc apart from mobo.... they all work in
another PC. I have now contacted the supplier who is sending me another
mobo, so fingers crossed.

I will let you all know the outcome!
"JAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7jJkb.5015$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> RAY the KB is dead...so pressing the 'del' key accomplishes nothing...
>
> "Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > I cannot get into the bios because the keyboard fails to
> > initialise..therefore no keys work.
> > >>>>

> > I don't know what the problem is, but if you just want to install the

damn
> > window xp try this:
> >
> > Popup window 98 startup disk into your A drive. At the boot, press

delete
> > to go to cmos and select first boot device at floppy drive, save and get
> > out. Now, it should bootup fine with no prompt like boot from cd keeps
> > staring at u. A menu will popup during the boot process, pop your xp

cd in
> > and choose boot with cd support on the menu. It will take a while for

the
> > programs to load from floppy and cd, but eventually it will stop at an

A:
> > prompt. If your HDD already partitioned and formatted, then you are

ready
> > to install win xp. type D: then press enter to see if your cdrom is

your
> > cdrom drive, then type in dir, if you see from the top if D: is a
> > MS-ramdrive. If D: is your ramdrive, then your cdrom drive is probably
> > drive E:. Type E: press enter, then dir to verify. If E: is your cdrom
> > drive, then you should see a dirtory call i386 when you type dir at the

E:
> > prompt. Then, type cd i386 press enter, this should take to the i386

dir,
> > then type in winnt press enter. A blue window should popup asking for
> > smartdrive inorder to install window xp, choose install window without
> > smartdrive support, then just keep enters to install windows. Hope

this
> > works, but if it does, installing window this way is extremely slow.

Ratz O. Fratzo

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:43:58 -0400, Hill Street Blues <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "Never Wrestle with a Pig,
> You'll both get Dirty and the Pig will Love it!"

I like this analogy better...

<http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922>

-=Ratz O. Fratzo =-

Barry Watzman