Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Ipconfig

Ipconfig

Fernando

Whenever using ipconfig /release to get a new address, a message appears
"Operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this
operation" Can any one please tell me what is this referring to, and how to
fix it...thanks

Geoff

Fernando wrote:
> Whenever using ipconfig /release to get a new address, a message
> appears "Operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible
> for this operation" Can any one please tell me what is this
> referring to, and how to fix it...thanks

it prob means your network cable is not plugged in, thats all comes to mind
anyway
any help ?

Andy Barkl

"Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lFDib.978$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whenever using ipconfig /release to get a new address, a message appears
> "Operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this
> operation" Can any one please tell me what is this referring to, and how

> fix it...thanks

Your network card must be configured with a static IP address and you'll
need to change it to "obtain IP address automatically" in the TCP/IP
properties.

Fernando

hello there, and thank you for replying. I did chage the tcp/ip config to
enable automatic ip addressing but it did not do much good. I get the same
message still....????? any ideas??????
"Russell A. M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Check to make sure your ip address is set to obtain automatically.
>
> "Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<lFDib.978$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Whenever using ipconfig /release to get a new address, a message appears
> > "Operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this
> > operation" Can any one please tell me what is this referring to, and

how to
> > fix it...thanks

BobZilla

It is connected to a DHCP server right? If not than that is the problem. It
will default to a burn in address if it can't find a server. ----BZ

"Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:roLib.1568$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello there, and thank you for replying. I did chage the tcp/ip config to
> enable automatic ip addressing but it did not do much good. I get the

same
> message still....????? any ideas??????
> "Russell A. M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Check to make sure your ip address is set to obtain automatically.
> >
> > "Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<lFDib.978$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > Whenever using ipconfig /release to get a new address, a message

appears
> > > "Operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this
> > > operation" Can any one please tell me what is this referring to, and

> how to
> > > fix it...thanks

Ronnie Broyles

are you online at the time you run
IPCONFIG /release *con*

I try running it and refuses to as long as I am online.

HTH

"Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lFDib.978$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whenever using ipconfig /release to get a new address, a message appears
> "Operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this
> operation" Can any one please tell me what is this referring to, and how

> fix it...thanks

Gordon Findlay

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 20:46:15 -0500, "anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>What's a burn in address?
>
>bil
>
>"BobZilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> It is connected to a DHCP server right? If not than that is the problem.

>It
>> will default to a burn in address if it can't find a server. ----BZ

[Much elided]

There is no such thing.

If a host is set to get IP adress and other information automatically
AND there is no functioning DHCP server to give it one, the host
eventually times out the DHCP request and generates, itself, an APIPA
address: for Automatic Private IP Address.

This is an address in the 169.254.x.y network, chosen at random. The
generated address is tested with a ping first, to check that it hasn't
already been used.

These APIPA address can be a nuisance, and I suppose you COULD use
them for burn in - but they can also be used for a simple, isolated
network: it requires no configuration and no server. Of course, some
limitations apply. For a start, an internet connection would require
some sort of gateway, and the APIPA scheme wouldn't set it correctly.

I set up a small peer-to-peer lan like this two weekends ago.

Gordon