Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Windows 95 vs. 98

Windows 95 vs. 98

Aaron Sentell

Let's say I have a Windows 95 machine whose O/S boot files, io.sys and
msdos.sys, have become corrupt. Can I boot to a Windows 98 startup
disk and type sys C: to *safely* correct the problem?

Thanks,
Aaron

dave

Aaron Sentell wrote:
> Let's say I have a Windows 95 machine whose O/S boot files, io.sys and
> msdos.sys, have become corrupt. Can I boot to a Windows 98 startup
> disk and type sys C: to *safely* correct the problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron

nope.

Ronnie Broyles

Have you considered copying the needed files back onto the corrupt machine
using a Win98 IO.Sys and MSDOS.SYS? They are essentially the same files, so
it should work--at least it has for me.
Hi, I was wondering if you had considered copying the needed files back onto
your machine using the IO.Sys and MSDOS.SYS from a Win98 machine?
simply get to your C:\ and use the DIR command
if the files don't show up they are hidden, so type
attrib -h -s io.sys, and hit enter
then do an attrib -s -h MSDOS.SYS and again hit enter
then C:\copy IO.SYS A:\
C:\copy MSDOS.SYS A:\
then use a Win98 bootable floppy, and boot to the A:\
Once there, remove the Win98 bootable floppy, install the floppy with the
two needed files, and do this---
A:\Copy IO.Sys C:\ then hit enter
A:\Copy MSDOS.SYS C:\ then hit enter
hopefully this will correct the problem for you.

HTH