Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > formalizing my knowledge - A+ ?

formalizing my knowledge - A+ ?

Danny Kile

fgphotog wrote:
> I have a kinda natural ability around pc 's and am the guy all my family and
> friends call on to fix their problems , setup their home lan, install their
> periphs etc.
> I was thinking that'd be nice to do a course and solidify my knowledge.
> Maybe even provide a career opportunity. I read on this group about A+ but
> dont really know what it is or where you take it. Can anyone enlighten me -
> I am near Toronto ?
> thanks
> Frank

Reading materiel a good place to start is Michael Mayers A+
certification guide. It is in it's forth edition, however, the A+ test
will be changing in November and this book will be somewhat out dated
then. A new version fifth edition will be out then and cover more of the
new test which will include Windows ME and XP. See the below link for
more info.

Comptia.com web page for location on where to take the test can be found
here.

http://www.comptia.org/certification...=certification

Michael Mayers's Total Seminars web page can be found here. It offers
some good savings on vouchers and testing materiel. You can also get his
book directly from him there.

http://totalsem.com/

--
Danny Kile
Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

"Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
you." Mary Bly

C. Philip Cutler II

For little money, use the book that Danny Kile gave you, the Mike Meyers AIO
$42, from either Amazon or from the Mike Meyers Site (totalsem.com). If you
would like to get it all (Book and vouchers) at once Do it from Total
Seminars and get the extra practice CD with the vouchers at the same time as
the book. Right now they have a sale on vouchers for 199 for both tests,
and the book for 42 (and S&H of course). Mike makes a good point in his
book about if you want to force yourself to get through it, buy the
vouchers, schedule the test, and then study study study.

You can get the book at half.com for starting about 33 used/37 new.

Philip

"fgphotog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YKdfb.6902$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i should have added that i have little $ and an on-line course or a book
> recommendation would be appreciated. The google search turns up a host of
> unheard of tech courses - how do you tell what's reputable
>

> "fgphotog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0jdfb.6895$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a kinda natural ability around pc 's and am the guy all my family

> and
> > friends call on to fix their problems , setup their home lan, install

> their
> > periphs etc.
> > I was thinking that'd be nice to do a course and solidify my knowledge.
> > Maybe even provide a career opportunity. I read on this group about A+

> but
> > dont really know what it is or where you take it. Can anyone enlighten

> e -
> > I am near Toronto ?
> > thanks
> > Frank

Jerry

Try your local library. I took out a couple of books and studied them.

"C. Philip Cutler II" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> For little money, use the book that Danny Kile gave you, the Mike Meyers

AIO
> $42, from either Amazon or from the Mike Meyers Site (totalsem.com). If

you
> would like to get it all (Book and vouchers) at once Do it from Total
> Seminars and get the extra practice CD with the vouchers at the same time

as
> the book. Right now they have a sale on vouchers for 199 for both tests,
> and the book for 42 (and S&H of course). Mike makes a good point in his
> book about if you want to force yourself to get through it, buy the
> vouchers, schedule the test, and then study study study.
>
> You can get the book at half.com for starting about 33 used/37 new.
>
> Philip
>
> "fgphotog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:YKdfb.6902$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i should have added that i have little $ and an on-line course or a book
> > recommendation would be appreciated. The google search turns up a host

of
> > unheard of tech courses - how do you tell what's reputable
> >

> > "fgphotog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:0jdfb.6895$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have a kinda natural ability around pc 's and am the guy all my

family
> > and
> > > friends call on to fix their problems , setup their home lan, install

> > their
> > > periphs etc.
> > > I was thinking that'd be nice to do a course and solidify my

knowledge.
> > > Maybe even provide a career opportunity. I read on this group about

A+
> > but
> > > dont really know what it is or where you take it. Can anyone enlighten

> > e -
> > > I am near Toronto ?
> > > thanks
> > > Frank

fgphotog

I have a kinda natural ability around pc 's and am the guy all my family and
friends call on to fix their problems , setup their home lan, install their
periphs etc.
I was thinking that'd be nice to do a course and solidify my knowledge.
Maybe even provide a career opportunity. I read on this group about A+ but
dont really know what it is or where you take it. Can anyone enlighten me -
I am near Toronto ?
thanks
Frank

fgphotog

i should have added that i have little $ and an on-line course or a book
recommendation would be appreciated. The google search turns up a host of
unheard of tech courses - how do you tell what's reputable

"fgphotog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0jdfb.6895$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a kinda natural ability around pc 's and am the guy all my family

and
> friends call on to fix their problems , setup their home lan, install

their
> periphs etc.
> I was thinking that'd be nice to do a course and solidify my knowledge.
> Maybe even provide a career opportunity. I read on this group about A+

but
> dont really know what it is or where you take it. Can anyone enlighten

e -
> I am near Toronto ?
> thanks
> Frank

fgphotog

thank you for this info

"Danny Kile" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0Ndfb.8976$(E-Mail Removed)...
> fgphotog wrote:
> > I have a kinda natural ability around pc 's and am the guy all my family

and
> > friends call on to fix their problems , setup their home lan, install

their
> > periphs etc.
> > I was thinking that'd be nice to do a course and solidify my knowledge.
> > Maybe even provide a career opportunity. I read on this group about A+

but
> > dont really know what it is or where you take it. Can anyone enlighten

me -
> > I am near Toronto ?
> > thanks
> > Frank
> >

> Reading materiel a good place to start is Michael Mayers A+
> certification guide. It is in it's forth edition, however, the A+ test
> will be changing in November and this book will be somewhat out dated
> then. A new version fifth edition will be out then and cover more of the
> new test which will include Windows ME and XP. See the below link for
> more info.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...28/sr=2-1/ref=
sr_2_1/103-2287074-6551037

> Comptia.com web page for location on where to take the test can be found
> here.

http://www.comptia.org/certification...locations.asp?
type=certification

> Michael Mayers's Total Seminars web page can be found here. It offers
> some good savings on vouchers and testing materiel. You can also get his
> book directly from him there.
>

> http://totalsem.com/
>

> --
> Danny Kile
> Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
>
> "Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
> you." Mary Bly

fgphotog

I downloaded and looked at the 'coverage' of subject matter under the
hardware and os component exams

http://www.comptia.org/certification...objectives.pdf

http://www.comptia.org/certification...objectives.pdf

- is All this material covered and explained in the recommended book (mike
meyers') ?

How does the voucher thing work - wherever you may be in the world, you
apply the vouchers to the cost of the exams ?