Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > unsure about types of learning

unsure about types of learning

graham chapman

Hi all!!
I've just enrolled on a 15 week course leading up to the A+ exam. Now I've
managed to get hold of the Mike Myers A+ certification book ( 3rd edition)
and I also have the dummies guide to the A+. As far as my background
experience goes, I've messed around pc's for a few years, building,
configuring and even troubleshooting a few temperamental machines!! I've
passed the City and Guilds basic hardware course, and completed a few Learn
Direct courses, in Hardware fundamentals, Software fundamentals, Network
fundamentals, and IT troubleshooting ( these are based in the UK BTW)
Now the question I ask, is I've realised that there is a hell of a lot to
learn in a few short weeks, so what is the best and easiest way to learn all
this knowledge?? Do I just read, and read, and read, or do I try and learn
and try to remember a few practice questions? My main problem is allowing
all the facts to "sink in" and not to let my mind drift!!
Graham

--
"look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it"

DaveL

Yes, you should read the entire Meyers book. I don't like those Dummy books
but that's my own bias. After you finish reading, take as many practice
tests as you can find and go back to the book for review of any missed
questions. When you can consistantly acheive at least 80% on practice tests
(not the same tests where you memorize the questions) then you are ready for
the exam.
Dave

"graham chapman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f7b3493$0$6628$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi all!!
> I've just enrolled on a 15 week course leading up to the A+ exam. Now I've
> managed to get hold of the Mike Myers A+ certification book ( 3rd edition)
> and I also have the dummies guide to the A+. As far as my background
> experience goes, I've messed around pc's for a few years, building,
> configuring and even troubleshooting a few temperamental machines!! I've
> passed the City and Guilds basic hardware course, and completed a few

Learn
> Direct courses, in Hardware fundamentals, Software fundamentals, Network
> fundamentals, and IT troubleshooting ( these are based in the UK BTW)
> Now the question I ask, is I've realised that there is a hell of a lot to
> learn in a few short weeks, so what is the best and easiest way to learn

all
> this knowledge?? Do I just read, and read, and read, or do I try and learn
> and try to remember a few practice questions? My main problem is allowing
> all the facts to "sink in" and not to let my mind drift!!
> Graham
>
> --
> "look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it"

C. Philip Cutler II

I would suggest getting the 4th edition of the Meyers book, there are more
than likely some things in it that are on the test not covered in the 3rd
edition.

And with the A+ changing soon with new XP and other requirements, I would
also suggest taking the test soon or wait and get the 5th edition when it
comes out about the same time as the new Test.

Philip