Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Format & reinstall XP problem?

Format & reinstall XP problem?

Kenny

Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At bootup I
now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed everything so
why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation before
by following the steps here:
http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition, this
time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file "boot.ini"
does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files. I
have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder of
C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
number of partitions.
I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet. Selecting
the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but to
the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's going on
here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".

--

Kenny

Kenny

Thanks, never thought of checking msconfig! It was there and I used the
"check all paths" option and it told me:
"it appears the following line in boot.ini does not refer to a valid OS,
(long line here), would you like to remove it from boot.ini. Clicked yes,
restarted and it started normally. Funny thing is I still can't find
boot.ini yet I can find a backup of the unmodified boot.ini in PSS folder.
I have enabled "show hidden files" and "show system files". General tab of
msconfig says I'm now using a modified boot.ini. Still curious as to how
the problem arose in the first place, format and reinstall went very
smoothly.

--

Kenny

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have WinXP installed there *has* to be a Boot.ini file on there
> somewhere. Check again, and make sure you have windows set to display

hidden
> and system files. Don't rely on merely the search tool. Go into windows
> explorer, go to tools, then folder options, then view, and enable hidden

and
> system files as well as protected operating system files. You should then
> find the boot.ini file in the root folder. Alternatively, go to the

MSconfig
> utility, and it will show you what your boot.ini file looks like.
>

> ..
> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At

bootup
> > now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed

everything
> so
> > why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

> before
> > by following the steps here:
> > http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> > Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

> this
> > time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

> "boot.ini"
> > does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files.

> > have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder

> of
> > C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> > number of partitions.
> > I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

> Selecting
> > the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but

> > the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's

going
> on
> > here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".
> >

> > --
> >
> > Kenny

Kenny

Thanks, that works and I can access boot.ini from there but why is it that
on another almost identical PC I can find and open it from the Find command?

--

Kenny

"ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In Xp you access Boot.ini differently. Click Start, right click My

Computer,
> choose properties, click Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and
> Recovery, click Edit.
>
> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At

bootup
> > now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed

everything
> so
> > why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

> before
> > by following the steps here:
> > http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> > Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

> this
> > time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

> "boot.ini"
> > does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files.

> > have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder

> of
> > C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> > number of partitions.
> > I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

> Selecting
> > the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but

> > the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's

going
> on
> > here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".
> >

> > --
> >
> > Kenny

Kenny

I booted from XP CD and formatted/reinstalled from there.

--

Kenny

"DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should have blown away the partition and then boot with the XP cd,

then
> do a normal install where it partitions and formats for you. XP is more
> user friendly this way. You have to get out of the old mode of thinking
> where you first had to fdisk then format and then run setup.
>
> Dave
>

> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At

bootup
> > now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed

everything
> so
> > why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

> before
> > by following the steps here:
> > http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> > Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

> this
> > time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

> "boot.ini"
> > does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files.

> > have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder

> of
> > C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> > number of partitions.
> > I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

> Selecting
> > the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but

> > the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's

going
> on
> > here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".
> >

> > --
> >
> > Kenny

DaveL

Are you familiar with fdisk?
Dave

news:blfc3v$bnsi6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I booted from XP CD and formatted/reinstalled from there.
>
> --
>
> Kenny
>

> "DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You should have blown away the partition and then boot with the XP cd,

> then
> > do a normal install where it partitions and formats for you. XP is more
> > user friendly this way. You have to get out of the old mode of thinking
> > where you first had to fdisk then format and then run setup.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At

> bootup
> > > now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed

> everything
> > so
> > > why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation

> > before
> > > by following the steps here:
> > > http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/du...edualboot.html
> > > Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition,

> > this
> > > time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file

> > "boot.ini"
> > > does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files.

> > > have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root

folder
> > of
> > > C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
> > > number of partitions.
> > > I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet.

> > Selecting
> > > the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but

> > > the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's

> going
> > on
> > > here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no

"boot.ini".

> > > --
> > >
> > > Kenny

Kenny

Yes, have used it many times installing Win98 but know with XP to do it
booting from CDROM.

--

Kenny

"DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you familiar with fdisk?
> Dave
>
> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blfc3v$bnsi6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > I booted from XP CD and formatted/reinstalled from there.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Kenny
> >

> > "DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > You should have blown away the partition and then boot with the XP cd,

> > then
> > > do a normal install where it partitions and formats for you. XP is

more
> > > user friendly this way. You have to get out of the old mode of

thinking
> > > where you first had to fdisk then format and then run setup.
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >

> > > "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:blf3l8$bml0q$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> > bootup

> > everything
> > > so
> > > before

partition,
> > > this
> > > "boot.ini"

files.

> folder
> > > of

> > > Selecting

but

> > going
> > > on

> "boot.ini".

Kenny

Are you suggesting using the FDISK and FORMAT commands from a Win98 Startup
disk then running format & reinstall from the XP CD? I can see your
reasoning but still don't see why formatting from XP CD didn't do a
completely clean wipe before installing, it obviously left some traces of
the old XP.

--

Kenny

news:blfe0t$bkenb$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Yes, have used it many times installing Win98 but know with XP to do it
> booting from CDROM.
>
> --
>
> Kenny
>

> "DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Are you familiar with fdisk?
> > Dave
> >
> > "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:blfc3v$bnsi6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > I booted from XP CD and formatted/reinstalled from there.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Kenny
> > >

> > > "DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

cd,
> > > then

> more

> thinking

At
> > > bootup
> > > everything

situation

> partition,

> files.

> > folder

and

> but

what's
> > > going

> > "boot.ini".

DaveL

I'm suggesting you use a win98 startup disk to run fdisk and remove all
partitions, then boot off the XP cd and let the XP setup program make a new
partition and then format it with NTFS and then install XP. XP install
likes to start with a clean, bare drive. Removing all partitions makes it
clean and bare.

Dave

news:blffb3$bugut$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

Kenny

Will give it a go, thanks.

--

Kenny

"DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm suggesting you use a win98 startup disk to run fdisk and remove all
> partitions, then boot off the XP cd and let the XP setup program make a

new
> partition and then format it with NTFS and then install XP. XP install
> likes to start with a clean, bare drive. Removing all partitions makes it
> clean and bare.
>
> Dave
>

> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blffb3$bugut$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Are you suggesting using the FDISK and FORMAT commands from a Win98

> Startup
> > disk then running format & reinstall from the XP CD? I can see your
> > reasoning but still don't see why formatting from XP CD didn't do a
> > completely clean wipe before installing, it obviously left some traces

of
> > the old XP.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Kenny
> >

> > "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:blfe0t$bkenb$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > Yes, have used it many times installing Win98 but know with XP to do

it
> > > booting from CDROM.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Kenny
> > >

> > > "DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news(E-Mail Removed)...

XP
> > cd,

> is
> > > more
> > > thinking

XP.
> > At

> > situation
> > > partition,

file

system
> > > files.

> root

2HDD's
> > and

yet.

> slowly
> > > but

> > what's

JimW±

This is entirely normal. The boot.ini is read & remembered throughout the new install (If you had other installations on other drives, would you not want them to be remembered?) Then a line is added for the new installation & the file is saved - including earlier lines from the file. Just delete the old line from boot.ini if it turns out you have only one installation

format/reinstall NewB Computer Support 4 08-31-2004 07:27 AM
Format & reinstall XP problem? Kenny Computer Information 15 10-04-2003 10:38 PM
Format & reinstall XP problem? Kenny Computer Support 4 10-01-2003 07:22 PM
To reinstall or not to reinstall - that is the question. nobody760 NZ Computing 1 09-12-2003 09:05 PM
format / reinstall pc nightmare Computer Support 1 08-05-2003 07:55 PM

Advertisments