Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > xp pro.

xp pro.

kevin

i want to uninstall xp professional and i went into add/remove
programs to uninstall it and there is nothing to uninstall it yet. i
have not formatted my drive to ntfs. is there any other way to
uninstall it?

Simon Telrenner

Are you going back to 9X? If so, there is a fairly simple way....

Using a starup disk, start the computer
at the first prompt type "sys c:" (without the quotes)
Then when yourestart, it will only start the 98 portion, and you can delete
the XP.

Note: This ONLY works if you are dual booting now, otherwise, you will have
to do something else, probably format, and rebuild.

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
remove me to email to me
"kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> i want to uninstall xp professional and i went into add/remove
> programs to uninstall it and there is nothing to uninstall it yet. i
> have not formatted my drive to ntfs. is there any other way to
> uninstall it?

kevin

no i just want to install it on a clean hard drive because i upgraded it from 98se.

"Simon Telrenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3f72f78b$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Are you going back to 9X? If so, there is a fairly simple way....
>
> Using a starup disk, start the computer
> at the first prompt type "sys c:" (without the quotes)
> Then when yourestart, it will only start the 98 portion, and you can delete
> the XP.
>
> Note: This ONLY works if you are dual booting now, otherwise, you will have
> to do something else, probably format, and rebuild.

> Systems Administrator
> Coordinated Home Care
> (E-Mail Removed)
> remove me to email to me
> "kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > i want to uninstall xp professional and i went into add/remove
> > programs to uninstall it and there is nothing to uninstall it yet. i
> > have not formatted my drive to ntfs. is there any other way to
> > uninstall it?

kevin

"JBS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<swucb.8805$(E-Mail Removed) link.net>...
> I think need to go back to the the CD and run the setup program again. It
> should give you the option to remove XP.

i put in the cd and there was no option to uninstall xp

Geoff

kevin wrote:
> no i just want to install it on a clean hard drive because i upgraded
> it from 98se.

well thats sinply then, boot off the cd, and format the partition instead of
leaving filesystem inteact
format as ntfs of course

Barry Watzman

There is no limit on the number of times that you can activate. That's
not what triggers the MS reactivation scheme.

Product activation monitors ten things in the system (I have the list
somewhere, it's not secret). As long as no more than 3 of those things
have changed since the original installation, you will be automatically
reactivated (an unlimited number of times). You are allowed to change
more things (six, I think) ***IF*** the network card MAC address has not
changed, since this is a "unique in the entire world" ID, effectively a
worldwide system serial number, that really says "I'm the same network
card, and therefore probably the same system".

Additionally, if NONE of the monitored items has changed at all in the
last 4 months (120 days), the product key is reset on Microsoft's
registration sever, it's as if that key had never been registered and
was being registered for the first time.

This description is about 2 years old, but it's my understanding that
this is still how it works.