Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Questions about the A+ exam

Questions about the A+ exam

ANdy

Hi,
I was wondering if you have to take the Core and OS exam at the same
time, and do you have to be a certain age to take it, for example over
18. Im taking a grade 11 prep course, although im in grade 10 now, and
it lasts one semester and we will have a lot of hand on experience
like troubleshooting, and taking apart computers. Do i have a shot at
passing the exam?
Thanks in Advance
-Andy

Max

I took and passed both today. It had some questions about XP that are not
covered in the current study guides. The XP stuff isn't supposed to be
tested until the 2003 version of the exam comes out later this year.
It was still easy to pass since the minimum score was lower than I thought.
I was under the impression that you needed 90% to pass, but that's not true.

Now I need to find out how to get the paper A+ certificate so I have more
than just a printout from the testing center to show.

I plan to take at least Microsoft 70-270 and maybe Network + within the next
2 weeks.

"ANdy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
> I was wondering if you have to take the Core and OS exam at the same
> time, and do you have to be a certain age to take it, for example over
> 18. Im taking a grade 11 prep course, although im in grade 10 now, and
> it lasts one semester and we will have a lot of hand on experience
> like troubleshooting, and taking apart computers. Do i have a shot at
> passing the exam?
> Thanks in Advance
> -Andy

not2dumb

according to the web site, the reason for going to a non adaptive format
after 9/12 was to be able to include non scoring questions, sorta their way
of beta testing a few questions.
"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I took and passed both today. It had some questions about XP that are not
> covered in the current study guides. The XP stuff isn't supposed to be
> tested until the 2003 version of the exam comes out later this year.
> It was still easy to pass since the minimum score was lower than I

thought.
> I was under the impression that you needed 90% to pass, but that's not

true.

> Now I need to find out how to get the paper A+ certificate so I have more
> than just a printout from the testing center to show.
>
> I plan to take at least Microsoft 70-270 and maybe Network + within the

next
> 2 weeks.
>

> "ANdy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> > I was wondering if you have to take the Core and OS exam at the same
> > time, and do you have to be a certain age to take it, for example over
> > 18. Im taking a grade 11 prep course, although im in grade 10 now, and
> > it lasts one semester and we will have a lot of hand on experience
> > like troubleshooting, and taking apart computers. Do i have a shot at
> > passing the exam?
> > Thanks in Advance
> > -Andy

Robert Sanderson

What percentage do you need to pass on the new tests?

How are the questions are they similar to what they were asking on the
adapative test or have they upper the skill of the questions on the new
format?

"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I took and passed both today. It had some questions about XP that are not
> covered in the current study guides. The XP stuff isn't supposed to be
> tested until the 2003 version of the exam comes out later this year.
> It was still easy to pass since the minimum score was lower than I

thought.
> I was under the impression that you needed 90% to pass, but that's not

true.

> Now I need to find out how to get the paper A+ certificate so I have more
> than just a printout from the testing center to show.
>
> I plan to take at least Microsoft 70-270 and maybe Network + within the

next
> 2 weeks.
>

> "ANdy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> > I was wondering if you have to take the Core and OS exam at the same
> > time, and do you have to be a certain age to take it, for example over
> > 18. Im taking a grade 11 prep course, although im in grade 10 now, and
> > it lasts one semester and we will have a lot of hand on experience
> > like troubleshooting, and taking apart computers. Do i have a shot at
> > passing the exam?
> > Thanks in Advance
> > -Andy

not2dumb

the "percentage" is the same, the test changes on Nov 26th to include the
new objectives (2003) (XP)
"Robert Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.com> wrote in message
news:mXucb.83938$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> What percentage do you need to pass on the new tests?
>
> How are the questions are they similar to what they were asking on the
> adapative test or have they upper the skill of the questions on the new
> format?
>

> "Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I took and passed both today. It had some questions about XP that are

not
> > covered in the current study guides. The XP stuff isn't supposed to be
> > tested until the 2003 version of the exam comes out later this year.
> > It was still easy to pass since the minimum score was lower than I

> thought.
> > I was under the impression that you needed 90% to pass, but that's not

> true.
> >
> > Now I need to find out how to get the paper A+ certificate so I have

more
> > than just a printout from the testing center to show.
> >
> > I plan to take at least Microsoft 70-270 and maybe Network + within the

> next
> > 2 weeks.
> >

> > "ANdy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Hi,
> > > I was wondering if you have to take the Core and OS exam at the same
> > > time, and do you have to be a certain age to take it, for example over
> > > 18. Im taking a grade 11 prep course, although im in grade 10 now, and
> > > it lasts one semester and we will have a lot of hand on experience
> > > like troubleshooting, and taking apart computers. Do i have a shot at
> > > passing the exam?
> > > Thanks in Advance
> > > -Andy

Dave Abel

Last year we had an 11 year old take the core and o/s exams. No problem with
regard to age. There was a problem with identity however. He doesn't have a
passport - nor driving licence - ie. no photo proof as to who he is. His
mother vouched for him and that satisfied the exam center.
--
Regards
Dave Abel

Please always email me at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
and ignore the AOL address I often use.
(AOL is proving unreliable)
"ANdy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
> I was wondering if you have to take the Core and OS exam at the same
> time, and do you have to be a certain age to take it, for example over
> 18. Im taking a grade 11 prep course, although im in grade 10 now, and
> it lasts one semester and we will have a lot of hand on experience
> like troubleshooting, and taking apart computers. Do i have a shot at
> passing the exam?
> Thanks in Advance
> -Andy

Robert Sanderson

But are they the same questions or have they upped the skill level? When
taking the pratice tests that came with Michael Meyer's book I am always
getting over 800, which he claims means I should pass the test. But this is
the adaptive format not the new Linear format.

"not2dumb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsZzcb.2277$(E-Mail Removed)...
> the "percentage" is the same, the test changes on Nov 26th to include the
> new objectives (2003) (XP)
> "Robert Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.com> wrote in message
> news:mXucb.83938$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> > What percentage do you need to pass on the new tests?
> >
> > How are the questions are they similar to what they were asking on

the
> > adapative test or have they upper the skill of the questions on the new
> > format?
> >

> > "Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I took and passed both today. It had some questions about XP that are

> not
> > > covered in the current study guides. The XP stuff isn't supposed to

be
> > > tested until the 2003 version of the exam comes out later this year.
> > > It was still easy to pass since the minimum score was lower than I

> > thought.
> > > I was under the impression that you needed 90% to pass, but that's not

> > true.
> > >
> > > Now I need to find out how to get the paper A+ certificate so I have

> more
> > > than just a printout from the testing center to show.
> > >
> > > I plan to take at least Microsoft 70-270 and maybe Network + within

the
> > next
> > > 2 weeks.
> > >

> > > "ANdy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

over

and

at

C. Philip Cutler II

You will get your Certifictate in the mail in 3 weeks or so, along with a
wallet card.

Philip

"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I took and passed both today. It had some questions about XP that are not
> covered in the current study guides. The XP stuff isn't supposed to be
> tested until the 2003 version of the exam comes out later this year.
> It was still easy to pass since the minimum score was lower than I

thought.
> I was under the impression that you needed 90% to pass, but that's not

true.

> Now I need to find out how to get the paper A+ certificate so I have more
> than just a printout from the testing center to show.
>
> I plan to take at least Microsoft 70-270 and maybe Network + within the

next
> 2 weeks.
>

> "ANdy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> > I was wondering if you have to take the Core and OS exam at the same
> > time, and do you have to be a certain age to take it, for example over
> > 18. Im taking a grade 11 prep course, although im in grade 10 now, and
> > it lasts one semester and we will have a lot of hand on experience
> > like troubleshooting, and taking apart computers. Do i have a shot at
> > passing the exam?
> > Thanks in Advance
> > -Andy

ANdy

I was wondering if you fail the test do you have to pay again or do
you get for example one more chance before you have to pay again for
the test?

havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com

> But are they the same questions or have they upped the skill level? When
>taking the pratice tests that came with Michael Meyer's book I am always
>getting over 800, which he claims means I should pass the test. But this is
>the adaptive format not the new Linear format.

Who's cares whether it's linear or adaptive! I believe the ? still
come out of the same pool. Sooner or later you have to find out if you
make the grade.BTW I have never failed a certification exam.

Good luck,
Gary