Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Internet connection timeout

Internet connection timeout

=?Utf-8?B?RXJ3aW4=?=

Hi i have a question. Sometimes i leave my computer on for long periods of
time without using it and then when i come and try to use the internet it
doesnt work. The wireless connection is still working but there is no
internet coming through. I use Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2.
My wireless connection uses a access point which in turn is connected to an
ethernet router which is connected to the phone socket. The only way i can
get back on the internet is by restarting the computer again. Sometimes
though i can connect back when i repair the connection. Anyways hope someone
can help me. Thanks

Malke

Erwin wrote:

> Hi i have a question. Sometimes i leave my computer on for long
> periods of time without using it and then when i come and try to use
> the internet it doesnt work. The wireless connection is still working
> but there is no internet coming through. I use Windows XP Home Edition
> with Service Pack 2. My wireless connection uses a access point which
> in turn is connected to an ethernet router which is connected to the
> phone socket. The only way i can get back on the internet is by
> restarting the computer again. Sometimes though i can connect back
> when i repair the connection. Anyways hope someone can help me. Thanks

Go to your wireless device's Properties from Device Manager (System
applet in Control Panel). Look on the Power Management tab and uncheck
the box allowing Windows to turn off the device when "not in use". See
if that helps.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?RXJ3aW4=?=

Hi Malke, Thanks for the reply. I went to the properties for the device but
it didnt have a Power Management tab. I did however find something called a
CAM (Constantly Awake Mode) which was disabled. I have enabled this and
hopefully this would fix it. Will post back the results. Thanks once again

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=

Just make sure you have the highest security available-WPA/WPA2-for your
network or you could get easily hacked.