Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Is anyone being bombarded with the worm_swen.a worm?

Re: Is anyone being bombarded with the worm_swen.a worm?

Barry Watzman

I'm getting almost 3,000 per day now (about 2-3 per minute). It's a
real problem. If I don't check my mailbox for an hour or so, it fills
up (I'm talking about my mailbox at my ISP) and my legitimate E-Mail is
lost, not to mention that it's difficult just sorting through them
(although I've got that down pretty good now).

Adam Leinss wrote:

> DullRazor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>I have been hit about 100 times today. Anyone else haveing this
>>problem? Just updated PC-cillin and applied microsoft security patch.
>>Still getting infected.

> Over 200 _per_ day! Thank God for mailwasher and CFS: it's caught
> about 80% of them.
>
> Adam

Allen Howell

Yeah, I've gotten those too. I have also received many from a supposed ebay
sight needing to confirm my account. They all ask for
Credit card #
Pin #
4 digit ccn #
SSN #
Birthdate
mothers maiden name
ebay account #
ebay password
Are there really people out there falling for this crap?

Allen

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My ISP (Road Runner) is scanning, but that doesn't totally solve the
> problem.
>
> In the first place, they are not catching everything.
>
> In the second place, while they scan and remove the virus, the don't
> kill the message, they still send it with a note that it had a virus
> which they have removed. Problem is, when you are getting 4,000 of
> these per day, it STILL fills up your inbox.
>
> I had a new one this morning, also:
>
> Subject "Your credit card has been charged $234.81". The body says that
> it's "because you are running a child pornography or money laundering
> web site" (FYI I don't run ANY web site at all of any kind). It then
> asks if you "agree" or "disagree" (with a spelling error). Both buttons
> appear to activate an actual EXE program attachment. Then, if you
> disagree (everyone disagrees, of course), it asks for your credit card
> number (HELLO: If you charged my credit card, don't you need to already
> have that?).
>
> I deleted it, of course. But it did get my attention.
>

> John wrote:
> > Some ISPs are scanning, some are not. At least that's been my
> > experience. SBC/Yahoo is stopping them before they ever hit the
> > in-box. Earthlink, sad to say, is not.
> >
> > Let me also add that the Earthlink e-mail address was created a
> > little over a week ago and I only notified my regular correspondents
> > of the change. So my thinking is that one of them is infected.
> > However, Earthlink should be blocking this crap and it isn't.
> > Instead it gets dumped into a suspect e-mail folder and from there
> > it proceeds to use up all of my available POP3 space (10mb).
> > <SIGH!>
> >
> > J.
> >
> > "DullRazor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:23:17 GMT, Barry Watzman

> > <(E-Mail Removed)>

> > It's a

> > fills

> > E-Mail is

> > them

> > patch.

> > caught

> >>I was at my girlfriends apartment last night and I checked her
> >>computer. She had only one virus infected e-mail(swen.a). I

> > deleted
> >
> >>it. Then went to TrendMicro and scanned her system. NOTHING. She

> > is
> >
> >>running 95 with DSL from Bellsouth. This worm has not been a

> > problem
> >
> >>for her at all. I am thinking Bellsouth is scanning the e-mail on
> >>their server for their customers and getting rid of most of the

> > stuff
> >
> >>for them. IF this is the case, then why can't all the ISPs do

> > this?

Barry Watzman

My ISP (Road Runner) is scanning, but that doesn't totally solve the
problem.

In the first place, they are not catching everything.

In the second place, while they scan and remove the virus, the don't
kill the message, they still send it with a note that it had a virus
which they have removed. Problem is, when you are getting 4,000 of
these per day, it STILL fills up your inbox.

I had a new one this morning, also:

Subject "Your credit card has been charged $234.81". The body says that

John wrote:
> Some ISPs are scanning, some are not. At least that's been my
> experience. SBC/Yahoo is stopping them before they ever hit the
> in-box. Earthlink, sad to say, is not.
>
> Let me also add that the Earthlink e-mail address was created a
> little over a week ago and I only notified my regular correspondents
> of the change. So my thinking is that one of them is infected.
> However, Earthlink should be blocking this crap and it isn't.
> Instead it gets dumped into a suspect e-mail folder and from there
> it proceeds to use up all of my available POP3 space (10mb).
> <SIGH!>
>
> J.
>
> "DullRazor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:23:17 GMT, Barry Watzman

> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I'm getting almost 3,000 per day now (about 2-3 per minute).

> It's a
>
>>>real problem. If I don't check my mailbox for an hour or so, it

> fills
>
>>>up (I'm talking about my mailbox at my ISP) and my legitimate

> E-Mail is
>
>>>lost, not to mention that it's difficult just sorting through

> them
>
>>>(although I've got that down pretty good now).

> patch.

> caught

>>I was at my girlfriends apartment last night and I checked her
>>computer. She had only one virus infected e-mail(swen.a). I

> deleted
>
>>it. Then went to TrendMicro and scanned her system. NOTHING. She

> is
>
>>running 95 with DSL from Bellsouth. This worm has not been a

> problem
>
>>for her at all. I am thinking Bellsouth is scanning the e-mail on
>>their server for their customers and getting rid of most of the

> stuff
>
>>for them. IF this is the case, then why can't all the ISPs do

> this?

RussS

Yup - lots of people are falling for it I should think. At least going by
the number of calls I have been getting.

---

Advice please - anyone else being bombarded with SOUTHWESTERN MEDICAL SPAM ? news.xtra.co.nz NZ Computing 2 04-20-2006 01:22 AM
Being Bombarded ez153 Computer Support 4 11-15-2003 02:07 AM
bombarded will Computer Support 8 10-10-2003 06:27 AM
Re: Is anyone being bombarded with the worm_swen.a worm? RussS A+ Certification 1 09-25-2003 08:02 PM
Re: Is anyone being bombarded with the worm_swen.a worm? rock A+ Certification 5 09-22-2003 06:35 AM

Advertisments