Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > how do I get rid of the OPEN etc pulldown question + more

how do I get rid of the OPEN etc pulldown question + more

Sean Cleary

Hi,
That title is the best that I could do.

Sometimes when I have been working on Windows98 for a while, all
clicks on a desktop icon do not activate that icon, just open the
right click box, with OPEN in bold. I did/do not want this, I want to
open the software when I double click on a icon. Please tell me how to
restore this when it happens.

Also, while I am parading my ignorance to the experts, many apps have
a complete this window. When I start typing my e-name to post this
note as a password, the rest of my name pops up in a box. I would like
to have a keystroke combo that would pull it into the box where I am
typing, not have to reach for the mouse. Is there some such? Is it
more or less generic amoung apps?

Sean

Tom MacIntyre

On 19 Sep 2003 09:08:08 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Sean Cleary)
wrote:

>Hi,
>That title is the best that I could do.
>
>Sometimes when I have been working on Windows98 for a while, all
>clicks on a desktop icon do not activate that icon, just open the
>right click box, with OPEN in bold. I did/do not want this, I want to
>open the software when I double click on a icon. Please tell me how to
>restore this when it happens.

Try several taps on each Alt key...may work.

>Also, while I am parading my ignorance to the experts, many apps have
>a complete this window. When I start typing my e-name to post this
>note as a password, the rest of my name pops up in a box. I would like
>to have a keystroke combo that would pull it into the box where I am
>typing, not have to reach for the mouse. Is there some such? Is it
>more or less generic amoung apps?

Try the Down cursor arrow key.

Tom

>Sean

Sean Cleary

Tom MacIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 19 Sep 2003 09:08:08 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Sean Cleary)
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >That title is the best that I could do.
> >
> >Sometimes when I have been working on Windows98 for a while, all
> >clicks on a desktop icon do not activate that icon, just open the
> >right click box, with OPEN in bold. I did/do not want this, I want to
> >open the software when I double click on a icon. Please tell me how to
> >restore this when it happens.

> Try several taps on each Alt key...may work.
>

> >Also, while I am parading my ignorance to the experts, many apps have
> >a complete this window. When I start typing my e-name to post this
> >note as a password, the rest of my name pops up in a box. I would like
> >to have a keystroke combo that would pull it into the box where I am
> >typing, not have to reach for the mouse. Is there some such? Is it
> >more or less generic amoung apps?

> Try the Down cursor arrow key.
>
> Tom
> >
> >Sean